German tiller Bernard Krone

JoeV1973

I have a question I hope this is the proper forum. I have an older tractor I have been working on (oil & fuel filter etc) & I got it running. After learning how to bleed the air out of the lines which I learned from you guys here on this website. I thank you for that. (1959 international B275)

After my maintenance I hooked up to an old German tiller that I used many times with no problems in last fall & again in the the past few weeks.

I was tilling up some wet ground & it stalled the tractor. This is never happened before. I thought it was the tractor (it still could be I suppose) & something I did with the fuel lines or something. Today I noticed on the ground below the tiller gearbox a large puddle of thick black oil.

I took a picture so you can see it. I should also add here I I don't know much about tractors or implements!

I am learning and I am hoping this is something I can fix as the tiller belongs to a good friend and neighbor down the road. It's the season for me to start tilling and after finding the big gob of oil on the floor, I think it may be a bearing?

The tiller is Bernard Krone
Machine # 25821
Type RL100

Made in west Germany.

I am just going to guess the year to be late '50s or early '60s but again this is just a guess.

Would the parts I need to repair this be something that's a standard size I can still find today? Can somebody tell me this is not a big deal?

If somebody can get me pointed in the right direction towards finding parts and getting this fixed I would really appreciate it. If any more pictures are needed please request and I will take them ASAP. If there's any other questions you have please ask as I would like to get this fixed & running ASAP.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help a rookie. God Bless

This post was edited by JoeV1973 on 03/24/2022 at 06:00 pm.

I was having trouble attaching pictures but I think I figured it out below. Sorry about multiple posts. I'm new here lol. I'm also new to tractors and I'm hoping somebody can help me here and tell me this isn't a big deal. Anyway, the pictures are below so thank you again for helping

This post was edited by JoeV1973 on 03/24/2022 at 05:57 pm.

mvphoto89823.png

This post was edited by JoeV1973 on 03/24/2022 at 05:51 pm.

Looks like the seal/gasket between the 2 gear case halves is leaking like it may have failed if not then it was low on oil and has now got a seal shot or maybe even the bearings. when you get it apart any good bearing parts house should be able to hook you up with parts. Motion industries would be one option MC Master Carr would be another.

Would this explain the stalling? The blades will turn when engaged but when I lower the hydraulics and it bites soil it stalls the engine. Is that a sign of anything specific?

If the teeth bind because of bad bearings yes it will kill the engine or break teeth if continued to try using that way. Fix now cheaply or fix later expensively.
Your choice.

(quoted from post at 18:04:20 03/25/22) If the teeth bind because of bad bearings yes it will kill the engine or break teeth if continued to try using that way. Fix now cheaply or fix later expensively.
Your choice.

I plan on fixing it immediately. The problem is I have no idea where to begin

You need to free up tiller slip clutch so slip clutch slips before engine stops operating. Does tiller rotor turn easily when raised in air? If so my guess is you have a restricted fuel problem. I suggest to disconnect fuel line from fuel tank at inj pump then blow compressed air in line to clear line of possible obstruction. Check to be sure fuel tank is venting.

For tiller leak I'd install "Corn head lube" in chain/gear housing.

Sir, a few days ago I changed the oil and filter and then I changed the fuel filter and the tractor would not start.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1554717

I then joined this forum and I was talked through bleeding the lines and got the tractor running.
It runs perfect.

When I engage the tiller in the air the blades spins freely. When I drop it in the wet soil it stalls the engine. If I quickly raise it, the engine will surge back to life. I was reading and I also thought it was a fuel problem. That's when I found the big gob's of oil leaking out of the tiller That's in a huge puddle on the floor

Joe, you have too many balls in the air here!! You need to put one or two down. Try taking the tractor out on the road and see if it will pull up a hill in high gear. That takes some power which takes fuel. When you engage the PTO with the tiller attached but in the air does sound like it puts a load on the tractor?

After I change the oil and fuel filters I took the tractor for a ride on my road which is a hill. It seemed fine. When I engage the PTO it did not strain the engine. Until I drop it in the dirt. Then it stalls. There's an awful lot of oil that came out of that tiller gearbox. The puddle you see is nothing compared to the one that's out of frame of the camera. There's another puddle three times bigger than the one you can see. I had moved the tractor

Joe
Your tractors fuel system needs good fuel flow from tank to inj pump to operate properly. When I asked if tiller turned freely I should have stated when turning blades or pto shaft by with hand. Sounds as if tiller gearcase needs gasket & fluid replaced

Likely bad bearings and/or chain piling up in the tiller drive. Weight holds things in line until you load it by putting the tines on the ground, then things go way out of place.

I would start by pulling off the chain cover on the tiller & see
whats going on there. You can probably get a new gasket for
it from most any dealer that handles Krone equipment.

Okay guys, this is a little overwhelming for me. I will treat this as two problems. I will inspect both the tiller and the fuel system.

(quoted from post at 08:33:37 03/25/22)
Okay guys, this is a little overwhelming for me. I will treat this as two problems. I will inspect both the tiller and the fuel system.

Well, if you insist on being overwhelmed, but pulling the hill in high gear eliminates the fuel system at least for this situation.

It sounds like the tractor is ok, but it might have a low fuel flow and run ok until it needs more power, then starve for fuel. But it doesnt sound like it.

The oil puddle, if that is a new thing it didnt used to do, should be investigated. Open up the gear case. As simple as a gasket leaking, or more involved like chain or
bearing out. Or a loose chain wearing a hole in the cover. All of those things you could probably find at a local Napa or farm supply store. Gasket not specifically , but
can find liquid gasket sealer when a real gasket cant be found....

Paul

You guys were right. I took the tractor down the road to a neighbor's house who has a steep hill. This neighbor was the previous owner & been working on tractors a long long time. I tried to climb the hill in front of him. It's 100% fuel flow. No doubt. He showed me where to start looking for my problem at the tank itself & main line coming out. If I can't find the problem he invited me down to explore further towards the fuel pump.

So thank you

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back