How to Wire a MF 175 Diesel to Use a Single Wire Alternator

Bill Dobbins

New User
My MF 175 needs a new alternator, I have a new single wire alternator. The oil pressure gauge has the oil switch on the back. When I got the tractor, it did not have any lights installed, so I want to basically rewire the tractor. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that will work with a single wire alternator?

While the tractor has all the correct badges and paint for a MF 175, I believe it was once a MF 40 commercial tractor at one time. It has a solid front axle and under the red/gray paint, there is yellow paint visible.

Upvote 0
While the tractor has all the correct badges and paint for a MF 175, I believe it was once a MF 40 commercial tractor at one time. It has a solid front axle and under the red/gray paint, there is yellow paint visible.
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the Operator's manual for your tractor? MF put the wiring diagrams for those in the operator's manuals. You should have a Delco 10DN externally regulated alternator if it has an alternator currently. The single wire alternator only needs one 10- or 12-gauge wire from the single wire alternator output terminal to the ammeter. That should be the same wire as used with the current alternator so that one only needs to be unhooked from the old alternator and connected to the new alternator output terminal. You should be able to remove the external regulator and wiring between it and the alternator. You will need to use the wiring diagram to determine if the regulator was used as a connection point for powering anything else and move those items to a different power source if there are such. Beyond that the wiring should be as shown in the wiring diagram.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back