IH 484 diesel, can't get it running!

Anonymous-0

About a week ago Dad started up our IH 484 and drove it a short distance before the engine slowed right down to an idle and stopped. It had plenty of fuel in the tank, but the primary fuel filter was full of black gunk that looked like grease or something. We figgure the fuel filters were way past due for changing now. Anyways, in my father's messing around with it, he exchanged sides with the gunk filled fuel filter and put it on the secondary side.

I have gone out and bought new fuel filters now and they have both been replaced, the lines we have tried to get bled out, and there seems to be fuel going through the injection pump ok, however, the tractor will not start.

My father did a lot of messing around with the fuel system, taking all the lines apart and blowing compressed air through them. I think he even tried taking out the injectors themselves and cleaning those the best he could too, but there wasn't too much he could do with those he said. Anyways, she will not run, won't even try to run.

I have suspicions that in my fathers messing around and putting that gunk filled filter on the secondary side, that some of that gunk got sucked up and possibly plugged those injectors.

Looking for a lowest cost diagnosis and solution since we don't have the small fortune the local Case IH dealer is going to charge to get it running again. My local dealer is the type that tells people everything is junk and needs replacing, even when it doesn't.

If it was mine, I would pull the tractor for a distance with the engine turning over. This is one of the best ways to eliminate air in the system. It goes to say that care must be exercised.

Are you getting fuel at the actual injectors? i.e. should be able to crack the line and get fuel seeping out.

Welp, I had a similair experience with my 584. The filters needed replacing and it was not getting fuel. I traced all lines and found the line that comes around the front of the tractor had an air leak. Now it is hard to believe but a line can allow air to suck in even though it does not leak fuel out. Make sure all lines are good and all connections are tight. I also poured some alcohol into the fuel tank to kill any bacteria masses that were in the tank or lines..some of that black gunk you mention could be bacteria mass. I undid lines and blew them out from the tank right up to the filter. The filters I use have a petcock on the bottom of them that let off water and the "gugnk" you mentioned. I am guessing here but you could have a line plugged somewhere from this Guck you mentioned. As the other poster said open your lines at the injectors and you should get fuel there. I guess it took me some years to realize that bacteria can grow in Diesel fuel and only if there is moisture..so methyl alcohol will clean that up. I use a product called three in one diesel conditioner. It lubes the pump, removes moisture and cleans injectors. I know I messed around for three or more hours before I got things running smoothly..replaced a line, replaced filters,added alcohol and blew lines out..tractor has been perfect ever since. I guess the lesson for today is to drain filters daily and replace filters per schedule. Good luck, I hope you get the tractor purring tomorrow. Just another thought..when you replaced your filters did you fill them with clean fuel before screwing them on...I've had to do that to get the system primed..

Hi, see this post for 674: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=684134

Start from scratch again, Shut off the fuel at the tank, take the fuel line off at the banjo fitting at the front of the injection pump(don't drop the 2 brass washers), turn on fuel and see if there is good fuel flow. Should come out the full of the pipe. Make sure the Banjo bolt is not clogged. Turn off fuel, re-connect fuel line but don't completely tighten Banjo bolt, turn on fuel and let fuel run until there are no air bubbles then tighten Banjo bolt.
Next loosen all 3 injector lines at the rear of the pump, set the STOP/START/RUN Control to START, set throttle to 3/4 open, slightly pressurize the fuel tank by using a clean cloth wrapped around an air compressor air gun stuffed in the filler hole of the fuel tank, now start cranking the engine with the starter. DON'T CRANK FOR more than a minute at a time or starter will over heat.
FUEL should dribble out loosened injector lines.
Tighten 1 or 2 injector lines and see if tractor will fire. If no fuel comes out loosened injector lines have to suspect pump is clogged.

Hope this helps
JimB

Ive got a 484 and I went through everything on it, rebuilt the engin last winter. After I rebuilt the engine it took forever to get the air out of the injection pump. Make sure you have fuel at the injection pump. If you do crack a injector line and hold a rag over the fuel take filler and force air in the tank while cranking the engine over. Thats how I got mine running again.

On mine the stainless steel fuel line by the filter was dry rotted and it was sucking in air. It would drop rpms and I would see bubbles in the return fuel line. I would cut those lines out of there and spend $3 and replace them.

Dont know if this will help. I ran my Case 1030 out of fuel once and could not get it started. A friend came over and put an air hose in the fuel tank with a rag to seal it and let in air while I cranked it and it started right up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back