John Deere BW

I have a 1946 John Deere Bw. When I go to start it with a charged battery it cranks very slow. I will crank 1-3 stop struggle and repeat. I tried putting a jumper box but it still acted the same.

What can I do to fix?

Does it have the compression relief petcocks at each cylinder? If so, are you opening them? Make sure all your cable connections are clean and tight.

Since the jumper box didn't improve the cranking speed it sounds like your starter needs some TLC.
Remove it and take it to a good automotive electric shop and have them go over it.

Never needed to open them 46 B narrow front. Check wrapings in starter on
fields. Bad one will do that.

As mentioned, your starter could use help. But if at some point that B was equipped with gas pistons, the compression petcocks are going to need to be opened for reliable 6 volt starting.

YOu might very well be right. I'm just going from experience with one tractor. That one, we usually opened the petcocks.

start with the cable connections, clean and tight, and don't forget the starter is grounded through its mounting surface. If no help then go to the
starter. Clean it up inside, make sure the armature is not contacting the field poles and check the brushes, polish the commutator.

I do not see that as helping as on a 49 B with the larger engine and higher compresion pistons does not have that problem. I had both the 46 and 49 at same time. And on mine it was somebody had the starter switch if I remember correctly, was something bolted to starter housing off and tried putting in a longer screw and hit the wraping on the fields and put a hole in the wraping, New wraping and proper screw took care of it.

And my 46 never opened petcocks. The only Deere that had to open petcocks was a 38 A hand crank.

Did you try hooking the jumper box
directly to the cable stud on the starter
and grounding it to the frame at the
starter?

Did you try hooking the jumper box
directly to the cable stud on the starter
and grounding it to the frame at the
starter?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back