MF/AGCO Customer Service (Long But Worth The Time)

Dean

I posted about this about 6 weeks ago and thought I would inform all of you folks about AGCOs response.

I bought a new MF 533 in June of 2007. The tractor has been used only to operate a 6' rotary cutter (bush hog), and has been well maintained by an extraordinarily particular engineer/mechanic owner and never abused.

Last fall, the left lift arm pin broke at the axle trumpet at a time when the tractor had about 245 total hours. The tractor was nearly two years out of warranty on time.

(FWIW, the selling dealer told me before purchase that the tractor was warranted for three years. I was shopping other manufacturers and would have bought a NH had I not been so told.) I was not supplied with a hard copy of the warranty but did not discover this until about 18 months after purchase as I thought that the warranty would be in the owners manual. It is not.

Only after repeated contacts with the selling dealer about 18 months after purchase, was I supplied with a copy of the MF warranty, which is 2000 hours or 24 months.

When the pin broke, I contacted the dealer who had taken over the failed dealership where I purchased the tractor about MF's policy regarding warranty coverage of latent defects when the machine is our of warranty on time but has very low operating hours. I was told to send digital photos of the broken pin to the service manager (to be forwarded to the MF field service rep), which I did.

Eventually, I was told that the MF service rep would need to see the tractor AT A MF DEALER and after the axle trumpet had been removed and the pin removed before they could decide if they would cover the issue under the MF warranty.

Having been a mechanic (well experienced in tractors of similar design) all of my 62+ year life, I could have replaced the pin in less than an 8 hour day for less than $30 in parts.

However, having also been both warranty analysis and failure analysis (as well as design) engineer for GM, I was also certain that the failure was caused by a latent defect in the pin or the fit between the pin and the tapered hole in the axle trumpet. I was also certain that the MF representative would recognize this after the tractor was trucked to the dealer, disassembled and inspected. As a result, I decided to let the dealer address the issue, knowing full well that once the tractor was at the dealer and disassembled the MF rep could deny warranty coverage and I would be responsible for the dealers service/repair chargegs (which I might add were grossly inflated).

Though I made repeated efforts to speak directly with the MF representative, I was unable to do so but was informed (after disassembly of the tractor) that MF had denied warranty coverage of the claim because the pin had broken where "they always broke" (Duh!). I again made unsuccessful efforts to speak with the MF rep as I was certain that I knew much more about the cause of the failure than he did and would be able to convince him that the failure was the result of a design or manufacturing defect.

Bottom line: I was presented with a bill for about $750 to repair a latent defect in a tractor having about 245 hours at the time of the failure that I could have repaired myself for about $30 (and 4-6 hours of my time) if I had simply been told not to waste my time and money trucking the tractor to the dealer for repair.

BTW: I drove the 70+ miles (one way) to the dealer to inspect the damage before the MF rep denied warranty coverage and before the tractor was reassembled. While there, I gave specific instructions that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the mechanic use ANY TYPE of gasket sealer where MF had specified gaskets and was ASSURED that they would not by the service manager. BTDT.

Upon inspection of the (approximately $750) invoice, I discovered that I was not charged for an axle trumpet gasket. Upon questioning of the service manager, I was informed that the "mechanic" "had decided to use silicon."

The tractor has been back in my shop for about 6 weeks now, has not been started but is now dripping oil from two places, where there were no leaks prior to the repair.

As a result of this unpleasant experience, I will do no further business with AGCO or the dealer that performed the repair. FWIW, I have been purchasing a new tractor about every two years and am currently in the market for one or two new machines.

If interested, email for the name of the dealer.

Dean

Did you talk to Agco head office directly or just the dealer? They might be real interested in the way you were treated, especially by a new dealer.

Did you write Agco a formal letter? I'm sure they must have a department to deal with these kind of issues with dealers. Maybe it's worth having an attorney write a letter so they take it more seriously? This new dealer might not want to file a warranty claim because they think it will hurt their new relationship with Agco. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. You could also talk to a different MF/Agco dealer(s)and get their opinion. Some dealers are a lot more willing to help customers than others. That's how they stay in business.

The "new dealer" is not a new dealer but rather a dealer that has been in business for many decades. They simply took over a failed dealership in the region.

Aside from a mechanic and engineer, I am also an attorney. I could take this issue to small claims court and almost certainly prevail but choose to not do so, at least not at this time.

Dean

I had a problem with my 7740, New Holland would not talk to me at all. In my case New Holland could not supply the part I needed. After 3 months back and forth New Holland finally agreed to repair my old part if the dealer would sent it to them. I kept asking for a field representative to come and talk about the problem, never happened. I found out New Holland doesn't have field people. John Deere does and they will talk to you about problems and even come to your farm field if needed.

Actually, NH does have regional service folks. I own a 2009 NH T4050 and have met my local rep.

They do, however, make it difficult to contact these folks.

Dean

Warranty was up at 24 months, you're SOL. Should have used it more to break it sooner. Should have fixed it yourself if you had the ability.

Let's see no more new Allis Chalmers, no new Olivers, no new Minnie-Mos, no new Whites do you see the trend? wonder how long before we can say no more new Massey Fergusons? I sympathize but you bought a tractor from a company that has been in a long decline, eventually they will fold it's just a matter of time and their behavior in this matter is an indication of why. Don't get me wrong I had neighbors that had MFs and have used a few in my time and thought they were a good tractor they just seem to be in failure mode.

I worked in the aircraft industry for almost 35 years and, while I was not in customer support, we went out of our way to make sure the customer was happy with our product. By god they pay hundreds of millions of dollars for some of our products so they darn right have the expectation that it should be right!

It amazes me how difficult it is for manuafacturers in the other transportation sectors to stand by their product. Your problem at those low hours was "intuitively obvious to the casual observer" a material or manuafacturing defect of a critical system that crippled the tractor for normal use. It"s not even an expensive part but it would take some labor to replace it. That part should have failure frequency of 10^-9 to 10^-12. Now they have lost a customer because they won"t own up to the problem that should never have happened. I"ll never figure this attitude out!

Out of curiousity, what ould your approach be in small claims court? The warranty has expired. Would it be "implied fitness for the intended purpose"?

That flat sucks! That is one of the main reasons that I will not go into debt for a new tractor. As long as they are making parts for the old tractors that is what I will own. My temper is entirely to short to think that I could lay out 50K and not get a field rep. to talk to me...

I would litigate this in small claims court where attorneys cannot represent parties.

The dealers are in IN, the state where I live, and I am not licensed in IN. As a result, I could proceed pro se while MF would be required to send company personnel to defend. It is highly unlikely that they would do so and would likely default. I probably will not do so as I have better things to do with my time.

I would claim unfittness for intended purpose and dare them to defend against a lifetime mechanic who has also been a design engineer, warranty analysis engineer and failure analysis engineer for GM, not to mention an attorney (AS, BS, MBA, JD).

I could also claim breach of contract against the dealer (for the repair work) but do not wish to do so so long as I own the tractor because they are the only nearby dealer.

I do plan to sell the tractor after repairing the leaks (myself) as I can no longer rely on it. I will likely replace it with a Kubota as I have a Kubota B1750HST bought new in 1993 that has needed absolutely no work of any kind aside from routine oil/filter changes.

Dean

I've got to ask... What did you expect would happen? They know the thing is inadequate. They sure as hell aren't going to admit it... It's also a design that's been around more or less unchanged since the time of the MF 35... so showing them another broken pin is probably nothing new to them. Having dealt with problems just outside warranty that were many times more costly... I'd think it a lot easier to just buy the 30 bucks worth of parts, fix it and get on with life.

Rod

Agreed, Animal.

For the record, this is the 2007 version of the MF 135, a $15,000 tractor.

Still, I did buy it new and it did have a latent defect that MF would not repair at 245 hours.

Dean

Frankly, being a Ford guy, I was unaware that lift pins frequently broke on MF utility tractors. This is not an issue on similar sized Fords and the MF pin is substantially larger than is the lift pin on such Fords.

Being an engineer, with experience in design and failure analysis, I expected that the MF rep would agree that the failure was caused by a latent manufacturing defect and simply cover it. (The dealer service rep told me that it was not unusual for MF to cover at least some of the expense in similar situations.)

Had the MF service rep (indirectly, through the dealer service rep) not told me that he needed the tractor brought to a MF dealer and disassembled so that he could inspect it before deciding if it would be covered under warranty, I would certainly have repaired it myself.

Dean

Google Agco and find out who the CEO is.
My experience is not on the same level but I'll relate a couple of them.
Valspar paint:
I was in the midst of repainting the chassis on a tractor and ran out of rattle cans of Ford blue.
The new stuff in the same can was much darker than the old formula.
I went to the Valspar website and filled out a questionaire/complaint/inquiry form there.
Gave them my email, phone, etc.
2 weeks later I had heard nothing. So I wrote a letter to the CEO of Valspar and sent it to the corporate office.
Two days later I had two phone calls, two emails and an answer to my question. They offered to give me free paint, coupons, technical advice.
I said no. I just wanted an answer to my question.
A few years before that I had an insurance inspector send me a form that he had inspected one of my rental houses and he wanted this, that and some other things fixed asap.
It hissed me off so I wrote to the President of American Family and complained that I should be informed BEFORE some unknown came marauding upon my property. Within a week I had had phone calls from my agent, corporate headquarters plus a couple of letters apologizing for their error.
I also do that with junk mailers, phone, utility companys, etc, etc if I have a problem with them.
Forget the middle men. Try a nicely worded letter to the top.
It works!

One of my pet peeves is boneheads who slop everything full of silicone instead of using a proper gasket.

Silicone has its place, but it will never take the place of an appropriate gasket.

I agree, UD, and have used your approach with success in years past.

This one really PO'ed me at a time when my time was precious so I decided to move on and vent.

Dean

Agreed, especially, when the gasket seals a hydraulic sump.

Did I mention, that I paid extra to have the dealer remove and clean the hydraulic strainers (2) while they had the trumpet off and the oil drained even though I had already paid the original dealer to change the oil and clean the strainers at the first service (done about 150 hours ago)?

I discovered that the strainers had not been removed and cleaned at first service (by the original (crook) dealer) as required by MF only after the tractor had been returned and the bill had been paid.

Dean

It's very disappointing. I've been a Massey fan my whole life based on what I ran in my youth. I'll make a note to only buy older stuff.

You are right there, had a hassle with my Tele Company wrongly billing me, went on for 9 months with 7 different peons, even cut off my Phone.What they never did was apply the credits to my a/c therefore the figure owing was grossly inflated.
Sent a letter to the Omsbudsman. fixed in days with $250 credit. Business needs an independent umpire.

I had a $600 cordless paint sprayer failed. It was out of warranty by a year but I had used it only a couple of hours. I was told by the dealer that it wasn't repairable. I simply sent an email to the manufacturer and ask what is my recourse. They sent me a brand new gun. That is what good companies do. Sometime problems are caused by lazy employees at dealerships.

That is what is wrong with most companies in this country. Customer is treated like crap while they stand around pointing fingers. Warranty doesn't mean what it used to.Dealers and Headquarters point fingers at each other. No one wants to take charge and do what is right by the customer.

I am working on a tractor at this time. Where the head lights have never worked. Called the OEM and was told it was the light switch. They knew it was bad but didn't bother to call the customer. Would only change it if the customer brought the tractor in for service.

When I worked for Onan (before Cummins took over). The customer came first. Had one guy with an RV generator. Leaking oil since day one. It was one year out of warranty when I called the factory. Told them this thing has been leaking from day one. The response from Onan was. Pull it and give the man a new genset. You don't see coverage like that anymore.

http://www.agcocorp.com
4205 River Green Parkway
Duluth, GA USA 30096
Phone: 770-813-9200
Fax: 770-813-6118

Here's a place to start. Keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction or run out of resources.

I don't know what you guys are doing to break these pins, In all my years working with Masseys I have never ever seen one broken and our farmers have tried,believe me they do try! Agco have a website where you can get all the contact you need, but the thing is your tractor was outside warranty and it was probably foolish to think they would stand over this pin. Read any warranty and not all items are warranted,there is always the small print! I am sorry you had this problem and I will chase it up with our MF rep also with the main factory.

I have dealt with many companies over the years on warranty. Some are good but most are terrible. John Deere is the best large company I have dealt with but they are far from user/customer friendly. They no longer have direct field service people. You first talk to the after market area manager( he is NOT a mechanic, just a College educated middle man) Then if he deems the problem is JD fault then you will have factory people involved. It usually is the dealer's attitude that makes or breaks the warranty.

I had dealings with Agco warranty issues about five years ago. I was helping out a friend that was an Agco dealer. He had a real good man die with a heart attack right in the middle of harvest. Agco tried to deny warranty on any repairs I did because I was not listed as Agco certified. It took a call from the dealer's lawyer to get it resolved. I had to take about four hours of on line tests. I was then certified. Kind of made me wonder just how good Agco's certification is.

As for the mechanic using silicone instead of a new gasket. Your best mechanics are going to generally be where they can make the best money. That is usually CIH or JD around here. The Agco dealers around here pay 20-30% less than the other two. Also the usual MF customer is a guy wanting to cut corners/cost so the mechanics get used to rigging the repairs.

Sometimes we just get the shaft. Put in a new shortblock years ago in AC 190XT diesel, original engine needed overhaul, also had a spun rod bearing. Rebuilt head, new oil pump put in new shortblock. Ran about 200 hours on small farm in 2 years then locked up with 3 spun main bearings. Machine shop found crank was cracked on 3 journals that bearings had spun on. Owner talked with AC dealer, 90 day warranty, sorry. Repaired block main line bore, new crank was 1200 dollars, so old crank was reground and reused. Cracked crankshaft is holding my bench grinder, is my Pollish crank grinder now.

"As for the mechanic using silicone instead of a new gasket. Your best mechanics are going to generally be where they can make the best money. That is usually CIH or JD around here. The Agco dealers around here pay 20-30% less than the other two. Also the usual MF customer is a guy wanting to cut corners/cost so the mechanics get used to rigging the repairs."

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever read. Not surprising coming from someone who was a JD dealer. I'm sure there are people that have been just as ticked off at JD dealers. And what about JD parts cost. I've always found MF parts to be pretty reasonable, especially the Heritage line.

Being that you're involved with failure analysis, it would be easy to do hardness and other non destructive metallurgy tests on the broken pin to prove beyond doubt that it was defective. It's no different than buying a dirt bike. They don't come with any warranty at all but they are required to work as intended and be free of manufacturing defects. If there are defects, they are covered kind of like the lemon law on vehicles. 2008 Suzuki 450's had the complete engine replaced with a 2009 engine because of the cases cracking behind the kick starter. It didn't matter how much time was on them or how much they were abused, they were recalled and replaced no charge.

I don't know if it's really an issue on Ford's either... I know they leak sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me if they break somewhat frequently either....
It just seems to me that the way things are these days... they are going to deny, deny, deny until someone brings a successfull class action on them. Liability being the way it is... if they grant one claim and someone find out... then they've opened the door to potentially thousands or millions more. Even if the millions of claims were not valid... the cost of sifting though them would be substantial.
Generally... in these kinds of situations... if you called the dealer and told him the fricken pin broke off at 200 odd hours and asked what we could do... they'd probably toss you the new pin ans gaskets to shut you up if you were to endeavour to change it yourself. That done at the dealer level.... understanding that it was out of warranty... but mabey they'd try to help you a bit on it. If they were really good they might do it in their shop and give you a break on the labor... but I don't think at 4 years out that I would really expect them to cover anything. It would be a bonus if they did. Sometimes those things just fail...

Rod

I'd get rid of the tractor as soon as the leaks are fixed if you can get them fixed and get a good tractor. Deere or IH. I don't mean to start anything but I don't care anything for MF tractors. The only good model they made was a 135 i think. You could have problems like that with any big company no matter what color it is. I use to work for Deere I know. Good luck with getting it fixed and finding a replacement.

"usual MF customer?" That's apretty broad stroke you're painting with that brush. My all green financially strapped neighbor(s) can only dream of my bottom line and net worth..... An MF customer.

I have an Oliver 1655 that I really like how it handles. It is used a lot during the summer hay season. I have been shocked by some of the prices Agco wants for many of the parts for it. The little pin that keeps the three point lift arms from floating, $50 each. It just is a real short Cat I top link pin. Ordered one by dimension from JD: $4.95. The rear brake disks have triple in cost the last four years.

I will stand by the statement about the mechanics. Everyone of them around here that are MF repair guys are widely know to cut corners and rig up repairs.

Also I posted that JD was better than some but still not great on warranty repairs. The dealer stands much of the cost of warranty.

The best company warranty I dealt with was Zetor. I worked at a dealer that sold them in the mid 1990s and Zetor would usually pay the shop ticket with little argument. They even payed for shop supplies used in the repair: oil added those type of things. JD almost never pays for the oils needed in a repair.

You bought a tractor that you inspected and deemed satisfactor for your use. Warrant was for a certain period. Your failure happened AFTER warranty . Where would the dealer or manf draw the line your pin, the next guys boldt, the next guy,s whatever.. Most times if the customer and the dealer have a good relation little things like this get handled. Most manafactures now days try to limit the access of field rep to the end customer... i.e. dealer take care of the problems. You say you are sure the design is flawed that is a hard case to prove considering how many Masseys are out there preforming everday.

There are JD parts that could be replaced with generic off the shelf parts too. Duo-cone seals for final drives on a JD 355D crawler are a perfect example. Exact same CR seals from a bearing supply were less than half the cost of the JD dealer. There's good mechanics and bad ones for every brand. To say MF mechanics cut corners is just wrong. Were you in the shops inspecting all their work or just listening to latest gossip at the coffee shop? I've heard some pretty sad stories regarding JD service too. That doesn't mean that I can make a general statement that JD mechanics cut corners, even though some most certainly do.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back