MF40 Industrial won’t start after 12 years

I am not sure what kind of access to the shutoff valve there is on the MF40 compared with the MF35, but on the 35 I just drained the fuel from the tank at the manual pump, removed the lines from the shutoff valve, and unscrewed the valve from the bottom of the tank. If you could rig something up to catch the fuel under the shutoff valve, you could unscrew the valve from the tank and drain it from there. Hopefully some of the sludge would come out with it.

Last edited:
No, that may have to be next on the list, I’m not sure the best way to check it, Im thinking that just taking the tank off and cleaning it would be best, as the whole tank is caked with debris. I’ll replace it when I do that.

I might just get a temporary fuel tank so that I can take this one off and still be able to work on it and try to get it started.

Would the manual fuel pump have anything to do with the problem?

So far I have cracked open the inlet nut at the injectors, it seems to be free of air, there is now a slow stream of fuel coming out of them.
I wonder if it's possible to initially use that temporary tank just to see if it will crank. Never thought of that. If it does, then there you go.

No, that may have to be next on the list, I’m not sure the best way to check it, Im thinking that just taking the tank off and cleaning it would be best, as the whole tank is caked with debris. I’ll replace it when I do that.

I might just get a temporary fuel tank so that I can take this one off and still be able to work on it and try to get it started.

Would the manual fuel pump have anything to do with the problem?

So far I have cracked open the inlet nut at the injectors, it seems to be free of air, there is now a slow stream of fuel coming out of them.
After setting for 12 years the compression is likely down. You said it actually ran for a few seconds and have been cranking it and you see you have seen some white smoke. It might be time to find a way to get the loader and hoe up in the air, if they aren't and give it a tow.

When it started the first time, I had just let the battery charge for 30 minutes or so, it started right up and ran performance 20 seconds. It didn’t struggle to start in the slightest, just fired up. Ran without missing a beat, then it just cut out. I didn’t do anything special to get it to start other than put a newer battery in it.

After setting for 12 years the compression is likely down. You said it actually ran for a few seconds and have been cranking it and you see you have seen some white smoke. It might be time to find a way to get the loader and hoe up in the air, if they aren't and give it a tow.
Of course that hinges on what transmission it has.

2nd

If I had been sitting for 12 years I wouldn't want to start either. ;) How much old diesel was in it when you tried to start it after 12 years? Have you added any fresh fuel and/or did you drain ALL of the old fuel out and refill with fresh since that time? Since it ran for all of 20 seconds maybe, just maybe, the injector pump is somehow working well enough to keep it running for more than 20 seconds(and that's a large assumption). I would almost bet that your fuel shut-off tap in the tank looks a lot like the one that Axtell posted a pic of earlier. Had one like that and it ran for seven minutes and quit, no restart, no anything. Cleaned the tap out and the fuel line from the tank to the transfer pump and it ran well after bleeding it. I would eliminate the tap as a problem long before I would try to jury-rig another tank. You're only one state away from Dieseltech so IF you need the injection pump rebuilt he would be one I would be shipping it to. Good Luck with it!

Injection pump MIGHT have stuck internal parts setting that long with stale fuel. I repair/calibrate a lot of pumps that have stuck parts that have set unused two years or less. ANY traces of water in fuel, or Bio diesel will cause stuck parts quickly.
I pulled the injection pump, as I believe it could be the problem, and even if not it could use a good cleaning and rebuild I’m sure. How much do you charge to rebuild one, just curious?

Most CAV DPA pumps I can repair/calibrate and return in the 400-450 range IF the hydraulic head and cam ring are good. E-mail is [email protected] if you have any questions.

You seem to be a very smart and well experienced cat but my jaw kinda dropped when I saw that you posted your email address right out in the open for the whole world to see.

I strongly advise against doing that.

If it's not already too late, I would advise you to edit your post and give Sibaird_MF40 your email via the "Conversation" feature.

You seem to be a very smart and well experienced cat but my jaw kinda dropped when I saw that you posted your email address right out in the open for the whole world to see.

If it's not already too late, I would advise you to edit your post and give Sibaird_MF40 your email via the "Conversation" feature.
"I post my email address too when need be. Must be I'm not to smart either, but I'm still living.

Where is the conversation feature? This new site is horrible to use.

"I post my email address too when need be. Must be I'm not to smart either, but I'm still living.

I didn't say he wasn't smart. In fact I insinuated that I thought he was quite smart.

I did imply however that it isn't smart to post one's email address on an internet forum where many eyes can see it.

How many times have there been members here ranting about getting unwanted/scam emails?

Making one's email address widely available would tend to lead to that wouldn't you think?

Last edited:
The conversation (private message) feature is the envelope. I see it to the right of my name/handle at the top of the page, on my computer and phone. Another way is to hover your cursor over, or click on, the person's avatar beside their post, it should open and you will see "Start Conversation". Click on that to start a private conversation with them.

This new site is great to use.

Hover over the avatar of the member you want to talk to and a box will open up. In that box there will be a small rectangular box at the bottom that says: "Start Conversation".

Click that box and commence conversing with that person.

As easy to do on this great new format as eating cake..

The conversation (private message) feature is the envelope. I see it to the right of my name/handle at the top of the page, on my computer and phone. Another way is to hover your cursor over, or click on, the person's avatar beside their post, it should open and you will see "Start Conversation". Click on that to start a private conversation with them.
Thank You. Didnt know how to do it.

I didn't say he wasn't smart. In fact I insinuated that I thought he was quite smart.

I did imply however that it isn't smart to post one's email address on an internet forum where many eyes can see it.

How many times have there been members here ranting about getting unwanted/scam emails?

Making one's email address widely available would tend to lead to that wouldn't you think?
That should be left to the individual.

That should be left to the individual.

As should almost every other thing in life.

It was simply some friendly advice. Take it or ignore it, I don't really care because the results don't affect me in any way.

Isn't helping others out one of the main objectives of this forum? I was under the impression that it was, maybe I was mistaken about that?

I'll be much more careful about dispensing any helpful advice I guess as much of it seems to go unappreciated.

It has not been a problem since 2012 start on YT, I don't get any excessive spam than before.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back