Narrow garden tractor and tiller

550Doug

I plant rows in the garden about 26 to 34 inches apart so I can get my rear tine tiller between the rows, but my knees are giving me problems walking, so I'd like a way to ride as I till. Are there any narrow garden tractors, new or old, that use a tiller that would suit me?
Any suggestions?

I have posted this in the Garden Tractors forum, but there seems to be more traffic here.

Thanks

Even the smallest vintage garden tractors that would be commonly available are over 3 ft wide, most closer to 3.5 ft. One option might be to get a regular garden tractor and a straddle
row cultivator. The catch here is that once the plants get 8 inches or so tall you'd have a clearance issue. My Power King is one of the taller garden tractors around and even with it
once corn gets about a foot tall it starts getting bent over when I cultivate.

Any way to mount a seat on wheels and hitch it to the unit. When I was a kid an uncle had such a device and
my cousin and I would race that sucker around the yard.

John deere used to make a 30 inch tiller
that fits behind a lawnmower. I have one
I'm going to put on a jd 325 lawnmower.
Here's a picture from the internet.
cvphoto152317.jpg

A problem with really narrow tractors that are riders is that some time, some how you will tip it over. And in rototilling, unless you have three foot or wider, it is easy to get a wheel down into pre tilled soft dirt and....at least my little walk behind is almose uncontrollabel that way.

I had a fairl big, 24 inch walkbehind giving me that trouble controlling it, so I equipped it with dual tires which helped alot but it was a real bear to drag it around to til back while holding the tines off the sod.

Is there some way to wastefully widen the rows or find a high clearance?? tractor and straddle the rows while tilling between?
Leo

I have always wanted to put longer times on a ride on and
turn or cut the middle out a bit. Leave 8 inches in the
middle with no tines. Straddle every row and I could get
more rows in a small garden. Less wasted space and less
to water.

If I could have the tines 4 inches in the ground and have
the middle drive still 6 inches off the ground would allow
tilling till the plant is taller.

There are tillers with their own motors that hook to garden tractors that are under 3ft wide.I solved the problem by making my rows 6 ft apart so I can go between the rows with my MF 220 compact and a 4ft tiller.Even then my squash vines will touch sometimes and sweet corn harvest is easy because I can drive between the rows

I was lucky to find a JD GT275. It's about 30 years old.
I thought a 17 hp Kawasaki engine was too small, but I was
wrong.
cvphoto152332.jpg

I got it with a 48 inch mower deck which I put on a JD lawn
mower.

I narrowed up a cub cadet 123

6-12 ag tires and related rims with the rims dish out.
Had to cut some of the fender support away but
worked great

Narrowest their in front tires I could find

Brinly cultivator on the rear - for weed control you
dont have to use a rototiller

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back