New Old Stock Tractor Build/Possibilities

Is it possible to build a new antique tractor out of aftermarket parts? In working on a couple of old ford tractors I realized that aftermarket support for these, particularly the N series is pretty amazing. That got me thinking, are there enough aftermarket parts available for say the Ford 8N, that an (admittedly eccentric) person with the right know how (and deep pockets) could build themselves a brand new antique tractor out of replacement parts? Or are there certain parts (engine block, Transmission housing come to mind) that just aren't available new (or as new old stock) I realize that this would be kind of dumb from a financial standpoint, especially given how common these tractors are, so practically I guess the only way I can ever really see this happening is as a marketing campaign for an aftermarket parts company or something along those lines. I just want to know if it is theoretically possible.
This is a thought that has been bugging me for a while, and I figured I would throw it out there and see if any interesting ideas surfaced or if anyone had relevant stories

While there is a multitude of parts available for these old tractors, there are many parts that are simply no longer made. Like transmission cases engine blocks things of that nature. So no you cannot build a tractor from the ground up with all new parts. You can however have a tractor as good as new with all new parts that are available to put on it at this point in time

The components made from cast iron that weigh 50# or more will likely be unavailable other than used. The aftermarket just has no reason to make them for the lack of demand, and massive investment in production equipment and machining capacity. Jim

The seasoning of old cast iron parts should make them better than the ones made new so a good block and castings for housings should with new other internal parts make it better than a new one was.

(quoted from post at 09:15:52 03/26/21) The seasoning of old cast iron parts should make them better than the ones made new so a good block and castings for housings should with new other internal parts make it better than a new one was.

Caterpillar guy, everyone knows that a cast iron skillet needs to be "seasoned' but I have never heard of seasoning cast iron tractor parts. Now and then you see a reference to cast iron having "pores" that oil could seep into. This is possible if correct procedures aren't followed during the casting process. But we know that pretty much all of the old castings were coated inside with "Glyptal to prevent oil absorption. I suppose one could consider a whole tractor "seasoned" once it has so many hours on it. Many people consider me to be "seasoned" due to my age.

Many old timers who poured cast iron parts
would allow them to season, a green cast
iron part would have more flex and could
be twisted to a degree, while the seasoned
part would be just a little less flexible.

Some have mentioned casting, no question about those kinds of parts. Really, who is going to pour a transmission/differential housing for a Massey Harris 101 Senior. One in stock might last you a lifetime. I suspect that a lot of transmission parts like shafts and gears are also not available.

Interesting theoretical question though. They used to say about certain cars that you could almost build one out of reproduction parts. Model A Fords, '57 Chevys, and Volkswagen bugs come to mind. Don't know if it was actually possible but you used to hear that kind of talk all the time.

I suppose the follow up question would
then be, how much of a derelict could be
rebuilt then? And at what point does it
cease to be a restored antique, and
become a new tractor with a handful of
original parts?

It might be fun to hunt up a list of the parts available and their prices. Estimated could also be made for the cost to draw up the unavailable parts and manufacture them. The total cost assemble a brand new old tractor from NOS and freshly made parts could be staggering, on the order of a new race car or aircraft.

Might be cheaper to make investment castings or machine the transmission case and other large castings from billets.

A friend told me some years ago that every part for an 8-N ford has been reproduced and available EXCEPT the main castings ( engine block, transmission, differential, and axle housings). Not sure if it is true...

(quoted from post at 10:13:26 03/26/21) Many old timers who poured cast iron parts

Cast iron has no flex.

Kearney and Trekker made milling machines. They had a n outside storage yard where they kept their castings. The castings would season until the rust was dark

(quoted from post at 15:46:52 03/26/21)
(quoted from post at 10:13:26 03/26/21) Many old timers who poured cast iron parts

Cast iron has no flex.
ast iron has lots of flex.

Remember 'external_link ...... the outfit in Indiana I think that were making essentially brand new N-series Fords from the older castings. You could supply your own castings (or our old tractor with useable castings) or they would supply their own old castings. They'd buy your old hulk if the castings were usable and use them on their own builds. Everything else was brand new. I think they went out of business .... there were several discussions here on the YT site as to what happened to the company which is long gone I believe.

Way back in the early80's when I subscribed to Dirt Bike magazine, they priced out a new Honda motocross bike (CR250) using genuine Honda OEM parts bought through the parts counter. Don't remember what the CR's sold for then in the showroom, maybe $3000 or so, but the parts counter version came to something like $15000. I can believe that easily.

Bridgeport mill castings were also seasoned outside for a period of time, not sure what it was.

Toward the end of the line on the manual mills they stopped doing the seasoning process. As a result, they had problems with the quill binding in the housing.

(quoted from post at 04:46:52 03/27/21)

Cast iron has no flex.

Watch someone start an early A John Deere with high compression and a stock starter bracket. Then come back and say whether or not cast iron will flex.

Many old models still produced in India and sold new. MF models mainly I believe but sand casting still very common there in small shops and factories so likely could find new castings.

Do you have links to any pictures of these or anything? This is fascinating. Would I be correct on assuming these are knock-offs in the sense that MF doesnt license their branding?

I pity the mechanic or whoever, that would put this tractor together with all after market (land of all most right ) parts. And make them fit let alone work correctly, It would take forever!.lol

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back