No thank you,no venison for me

da-bees

The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.
I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope.
The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it.
After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up — 3 of them. I picked out.. ..a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw.. ..my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me.
I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation.
I took a step towards it…took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope and then received an education.
The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.
That deer EXPLODED.
The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity.
A deer– no chance.
That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.
The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.
A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature
off the end of that rope.
I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere.
At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.
Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer’s momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn’t want the deer to have it suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder – a little trap I had set before hand…kind of like a squeeze chute.
I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.
Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.
Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head –almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.
The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.
It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds.
I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now) tricked it.
While I kept it busy tearing the bejesus out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose. That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.
Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp.
I learned a long time ago that, when an animal — like a horse — strikes at you with their hooves and you can’t get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.
This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy.
I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.
The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head.
Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.
Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.
I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.
So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope so that they can be somewhat equal to the prey.

your wife could of caught it all on video you might of won some money. or at least been a hot one on youtube :) still LMAO

Da-Bees, I don't know what you do for a living, but if you're not a writer or a humorist, or a humorist/writer, you missed your calling.

VERY good post!!

Paul

this sounds like something I would have once thought about doing. Glad I never got the chance. When I was a kid I sat on the fence beside the barn & roped a very small calf. Calves are strong! I made a furrow we could 've planted potatoes in before I had enough wits to let go. Grandpa laughed for years over that one.

Ya I read that story somewhere too.It reminds me of the time I caught a buck by shining a light in it's eyes,walking up to it and grabbing it's horns. I'm lucky to be alive. It tried to gore me,kicked at my hands on it's horns,and bucked it's way across the large lawn while trying to gore me.I exhausted it and let it go while I could.It was several days before I could close my hands properly.

Sorry, but I had a good laugh as well. It reminds me of a friend of mines friend, was out in a lake fishing.
There was a Bull Moose, swimming across the lake, so they thought to lasso the antlers of the moose, and tie the end of the rope to the boat, and let the moose tow the boat.
That was all fine and dandy, till the moose was able to touch the bottom, close to the bank.
Then it was a different story, The moose bounded for the trees, taking boat and all with him, the fishermen in the boat went flying, out of the boat, while the boat was being smashed to pieces through, and over the rocks, and getting tangled, and mangled up in the trees.
The rope broke, and the moose was gone, and the guys where left behind, boat less, with a long walk back to camp. Another lesson learned. Glad that you are OK. Take care. Bruce.

This joke has been around for quite a while. Sounds like you have people believing that it is a true story. Amazing what people can be led down the road to la la land.

Good story. I've read it before but it's always good for a laugh.

One year on the wheat harvest we had a big burly Aussie on the crew. He was riding passenger in a pickup going across the wheat stubble in Colorado when a mule deer came out of the standing wheat and headed across the stubble. The Aussie wanted the pickup driver to catch up with the mulie so he could jump out and "put his Shoulder into it". Of course the pickup driver didn't do it but it would have been entertaining for sure.Jim

Ive been scattering shelled corn just outside my home over a month now and am surprised how much bolder n braver the deer visitors have become in such a short period. One almost comes up on the porch while a couple "smarties" have learned to come up earlier (put corn out around 4 PM) to eat it before the rest arrive. These are, of course, does mostly while the bucks stay a few hundered feet down a hill near the barn in the daylight at least (but corns gone by 5:30). If we go outdoors real slow they watch a while but if we move much much they high tail it out of sight, but if I rattle the feed can its not long before they sneak back up.

Merry Christmas yall Keep Christ in CHRISTmas

John T

When I was in high school I had a friend who actually caught a couple of deer. He was a big football player type and was able to run them down and catch them. These were young deer and where he was from the mature deer didn't get much bigger than a large dog.

Well anyway there were wild hogs on his father's farm and he decided he was going to catch one. He picked out a trail they used and climbed up in a tree over the trail. He lowered a rope with a noose in it to ground level. He reasoned that hogs don't look up so they wouldn't see anything and would run right through the noose and he would lasso one. What he didn't do was tie his end of the rope off to the tree. He decided to just hold on to the rope since the hogs weren't too big.

You can see where this is going can't you? A decent sized hog ran through the noose, he pulled back, the hog kept going like nothing was happening and my friend went flying off a limb about 10 to 12 feet up in the air. He hit square on his chest and fortunately for him all it did was knock the wind out of him. I don't think he ever found his rope but he did learn a lesson.

slim

Who cares A) Who wrote it and B) If it is true.. That really made my day and I will refer back to it when I need a grin! Damn near blew coffee all over the laptop screen there a couple times!

Thanks! That really DID make my day! roflmfao

That one is like the story I was told years ago about a guy hunt deer. He shoot a big buck and went to cut it to bleed it out. Well he grabbed its head and found out it was not dead yet and he went for a ride a wild one at that. He never did get that deer either because after the ride the deer took off for who knows where

True Story. When I was young my Uncle Bob was driving along in his 53 Chevy truck and a deer came up beside the door. Uncle Bob being of good size and strength reached out and grabbed the deer by the horn, Bad idea, that deer nearly beat him and the truck to pieces.
Walt

My friend told a story about his young son who shot his first deer at the age of around 14. The son was so proud of his trophy shot as he safely unloaded his gun. After the gun was unloaded the deer got up and ran away, never to be seen again.
Jim

A friend of mine told me that one time he had hit a deer with his car. Being a hunter himself, he figured, shouldn't let that one go to waste, so after checking for signs of life, and finding none, he picked it up, and put it in the trunk of the K car. After all, he should at least have something in return for the damaged grill and hood on his car.
He was driving along the divided highway on his way home at about 60 miles per hour when the deer regained consciousness. At the moment of awakening, there was no hesitation for this little deer, he wanted out out of the trunk of the car, and wanted out NOW, and without warning, the back end of the car was bouncing around, and hooves kicking that sheet metal for all they were worth. After a panicked braking session, the car was stopped, and trunk unlocked, at which point the little spikehorn decided to take off like a rocket out of the back of the car. At least it didn't end up in front of oncoming traffic and made it across the ditch and into the woods.
Damage to the car was not unconsiderable.

Do you learn from your Mistakes?

I learn from mine and also from others as well.

I stuck a dead deer with a knife and it promptly stood up. My rifle was close enough that I got him before he could run. The shot that had put him down had hit him in the jaw and the bullet that I thought had broke his back had actually passed between the fins over the top of the vertabrae.

Hunting videos show people poking deer with a rifle barrel to CONFIRM that it is dead. What a joke.
SDE

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back