O.T. New to me Ebay scam

JF in MI

Been selling a number of the same used low priced (around $40) items on Ebay. One customer emails me that he received the item and it didn't work, he took it apart and found a broken part (these items are clearly marked "sold as is")and wanted to know what I was going to do about it. First tip off; His "Ebay handle" was no one I did business with so I asked if he could clarify and tell me the auction number. Second tip off; He replies with it and it just happens to be one I shipped to a foreign country (he could not have known that) and no way it would have gotten there yet. I email back that I sold the item to so and so (not him) and just who the heck are you. He comes back with 'Oops, different seller, never mind'. Obviously fishing for "refund money". I suppose he has found some sellers dumb enough to send him complete or partial "refunds".

I've never sold anything on e-bay but I have bought hundreds of items, mostly tractor and auto parts.
I only got burned once. It was a ball bearing purported to be new but turned out to be used.
It was less than eight bucks and I never even followed up on it.
One time I ordered 4 Allis-Chalmers manuals for $16.50 including S&H.
When I got them, they were totally different than the ones I ordered.
When I told the guy, he apologized, sent me the correct ones and told me
to keep the wrong ones for my trouble.
If you look at the feedback ratings, you can tell if the vendor is reputable.
You do have to watch the charges for S&H as a few (not many) vendors will charge more
than is reasonable.

You need to notify Ebay. They are very good at dealing with scammers.

We have bought many, many items on Ebay over 15 yrs with only a few problems.

I have saved lots of money buying off Ebay (you have to know what you're shopping for) but have made a small fortune selling literally garbage. One time when remodeling my kitchen I had a barn full of old cabinets and counter tops I was going to have to pay to have hauled off. Put them on Ebay (local pickup) real cheap, and had people paying me to take the stuff away and happy to get it. It is the best example of one man's trash being another man's treasure.

Ebay has some problems that they won't deal with. Got burned once and not real excited about going back for seconds. I bought a fender for a Mustang SVO, add clearly stated it was a SVO fender. Now if you need a front fender for a SVO your best bet is to get another SVO fender BUT since they didn't make a lot of SVOs and it is the kind of car that tends to get run into things (thus messing up front fenders) the next bet is a LX fender, you have to modify it but it's putting holes in it and welding a bracket and the holes you don't need are covered by the bumper, the worse fender to try to put on a SVO is off a GT as you have to fill in or weld up holes that will be visible when your done as well as add some holes like you do with the LX. I bought a fender for "A Mustang SVO", paid 1/2 again what I could buy a GT fender for locally and paid shipping on top. Low and behold 4 days later a GT fender shows up, got holes in the wrong places and no holes or brackets for the front chin, I file a complaint and the guy counter complains and gives me big time negative feedback I sent him the fender back, which was a mistake now I'm out the purchase price, the inbound shipping and return shipping and still have the negative feedback.

EBAY gets money for each listing, it's okay to lie cheat or steal as long as they get their cut. They are not willing to suspend sellers that make fraudulent listings. Years ago I usd to be able to buy SVO parts on EBAY, now if you search for SVO parts less than 5% of the listings will actually fit an SVO.

Feedback for a vendor that sells a few items might be ok but those 50000 item sellers get 50 bad feedbacks per month!!!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back