OT- Considering moving west

Bret4207

I currently live on the Canadian border in Northern NY, the Thousand Islands region. I've lived here and in the Central Adirondacks my entire life. Yesterday our Governor proposed CONFISCATING my guns. For the first time in my life I'm seriously considering leaving NY. I own 342 acres, a decent story 1/2 1890's farm house, good barn, garage, machine shed, meadows, pasture, woodlands and wetlands alive with deer, duck, turkey, rabbit, etc. I bought this place for $75K in 95, refinanced 5 years back for $90K to take care of some bills incurred by my family, you know how that goes. I figure I could get in the $175-225K at current values. I currently pay about $6K in taxes a year.

I first considered Texas, Idaho and Wyoming. From what I've seen, in those states you either live on a lot to 3 acres or so, or else you own thousands of acres. I didn't see much in between. And, honestly what I saw was outrageously expensive. My wife mentioned warmer climates, so I sort of looked for something with a climate more like Virginia or the mountains of North Carolina, IOW- two seasons, hot and HOT, aren't really what we want. We looked at Missouri and a little at Arkansas but I don't really know the country. I guess what I'm looking for is a very gun friendly state, (so go guns, so go the rest of your rights), that's not ruled by urban people. Some place I can get at least 30-60 acres or more and a decent home in decent community that isn't over run with trashy people, druggies, criminals, meth heads, bikers, etc. I'd prefer to be at some elevations of at least 850-1200 feet, out of tornado alley, free of large infestations of poisonous creatures- that's something we just "don't do" up north. I don't have a firm figure in mind but I'm also 52 with a decent pension from my state job (BTW- they've talked of simply defaulting on that!) and can do almost anything work wise. I want a farm, but I'm not locked into a particular type. I do sheep right now and would prefer to stay with them, but I could handle other options too. I know no matter where I go I'm going to have to educate people on the fact all of NY is not NYC and we aren't all named Vinnie or Carmine and don't wear $5K suits. My wife is not real fond of the whole "southern" thing, (don't ask, bad experience when she was younger), so we're not too interested in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, etc. No offense, it's too hot anyway.

So, I'm sort of looking for ideas on where to look. We're tired of the taxes and the laws and the constant struggle just to make ends meet. Now we're looking at losing our gun rights which is just the final straw. Suggests are gratefully appreciated.

Confiscate your guns? That's against the Constitution! Before I'd go "jumping the gun" I'd think long and hard, sounds like you have an ideal place you won't replicate.

Have you considered the mid-west?
MI, WI, MN, IO
Michigan and Wisconsin have been pretty gun friendly.
I've not lived MN or IO.

I do not have any input on other areas of the country, I can relate.

House here, taxes are 6K, the land is another 8K and or a little more, I try not to remember, house is on 3 small lots combined, attached to land which in total is 98 acres or so, no buildings, just land.

Taxes are ridiculous here, I can see contributing and being part of "the club", but not even at 50% of the above.

I don't know anything about this latest from Cuomo, what in a nutshell is being proposed relative to legally owned firearms ?

south east ohio down into west virginia
sounds like you are from the hills and this would put you into some hills
JUST visit and look over the area first as it does change real fast as far as the other people already there, drive 10 miles and a different good group will be there

good luck

Bret,
I am familiar with your background. I heard nothing in his coments, unless your local news station edited what he said that would be thretening to hunters or gun collectors that were legit. He wanted to better enforce current laws and limit sales of assult wepons, and large clips. The State Attorney General recently made settelments with several large gun dealers who participated in regional gun shows that did not comply with the registration and sales laws in effect today.I would think you would have the same adegenda considering your background. I know that "Guns don't Kill People' People Kill People"
Loren, the Acg.

Loren, I swore to uphold the law and earlier I swore to defend the Constitution as a Marine. I never,ever, swore to clearly violate the lawful and legitimate rights of anyone! Consider that if he can confiscate your so called assault weapons ( an ambiguous term) then whats to stop him from confiscating your deer rifle or Dads old 38 revolver? If the Bill of Rights can so easily be discarded and corrupted, then what lays ahead for us? I don't want this to get poofed, but between the taxes, the laws and over regulation, the endless land grabs in the Park, the taxes, the debt, the taxes and now this...I don't think I can live here any more.

I don't know what "agenda" you think I wold have, but punishing innocent people is nowhere on my list.

I would stay right where you are at. IF they ever take your guns then move. I have been hearing this BS "they are going to take your guns" for most of my adult life and I am 75 yrs old. don't be so fast to panic. Every place else in this country is too hot, or cold, or wet or lonely or crowded. In other words there is no ideal place. I have lived in NY state, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Florida and New Mexico.
Don't believe everthing you hear on the talk radio or tv shows. when I see it with my own eyes then I believe it. Now I am sure someone will answer this with "but its true, they are going to outlaw guns". To those people I say put your big boy pants on and stop believing every thing you hear.
(If you own a military type automatic rifle that might be a different story. I don't condone owning one of those)

(quoted from post at 15:05:19 12/22/12)

I don't know anything about this latest from Cuomo, what in a nutshell is being proposed relative to legally owned firearms ?

“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it,” the governor said."

I don't know how anyone else looks at it but when the first option out of his mouth is "confiscation"...that just makes me see red. I don't even own what I would consider an "assault weapon", but I'm pretty sure my SKS, my pistols, might qualify and of course my scope sighted rifles are all "sniper rifles". I don't see this ending well.

The constitution means less every day. The progress in western civilization over several centuries is largely based on private property rights. When those in power can take your real estate, money, guns, or what-have-you, those rights are greatly diminished. Recent events, including the most recent election, I'm afraid are almost watershed events regarding the erosion of our rights/constitution.

Bret, I own an old farm house on 200 acres. My taxes are less than 2K a year right now. I'm in MN. Land here can get you though. I'd take a look at the area north of Brainard.

Rick

Until you mentioned 'nice garage and shop' I thought you were the guy that bought my ol place! You see where I am now? And once you get a pistol permit- unlike all the ol wives tales about Massachuesetts, unlimited handgun purchases, hi cap rifle and pitol mags, hey you can pay the federal taxes and collect class 3's.... if you sold 2 farms anyway...
My issue with the west is water. Gun issues aside, I like central California, summer is as much a drag as Florida, a 'dry' 105 every day...but interesting stuff in all directions...except straight down or straight up. No rain when they need it, and well water - if it exists, is not- what's your well? 50 or 100 feet? You could drill 2000 and not hit a drop. The rocky mtn and Texas...yeah some sort of water 'could be under you' but.... you think gun rights in ny state are oppressive? try water rights in these states. It is just what Mark Twain said 150 years ago 'whiskey's fer drinkin' water's fer fightin'.... the old black and white westerns about cowboys shooting up each other to let a cow get a drink...was- and still is true. The state tells you how much water you will pump, or collect in ponds, and they will send a guy out to 'inspect and apparaise' it, they had instruments they tell to the gallon how much water your vegitation uses. In your area, you'd think nothing of letting your neighbor's herd come onto your place to drink out of a creek... or even your from your well into the barnyard stock tank right? If he was in a pinch? not out there, at all ever an open attitude like we got back east.
When you are looking into an area, go to 'weather underground.com' enter the town's name and state, and click around to find histories, seasonal averages etc. You will find places within an hout of Mexico had a frost before you, 0, 10 below before and longer than Jeff county, you wouldn't believe it, you will think rainfall ammounts are a misprint too, StL valley, here, we get 40-50 inches a year. Some out west get 6. inches. a year, and the wrong useless time of year.
Yes, there are guys on these forums about their neighbor's place selling for 20 30,000 an acre... got to be laundering drug money, cause when you see it...conpare to what we got....
Oh, one last thing... federal firearm laws pertain to ALL states, so to leave home... and go ...where??.... if the new US laws are even harder than NY laws are now... pick your deck chair on the titanic.... there are no lifeboats..
Just like Red Green's goodbye line "don't let it get ya down, we're all in this together"...
Don't let all this ruin your Christmas... have a great one.

Real gun privileges in AZ, but few small farms. We do have "County Islands" in and around cities where you can buy a few acres. Drilling your own well really costs a lot, so most go with a private water company, which ain't cheap either.

Unfortunately, job opportunities are few unless you have special skills. Electronics is getting big in AZ, and there is a shortage of good Diesel/Heavy Duty truck mechanics. Otherwise a job can be hard to find right now in AZ.

How does anyone know what you have for firearms? Have you been
registering them -in other words making a list for somebody to go
by? No body knows what I have for guns so it would be hard for
them to collect em.

I lived in northern Idaho for close to 20 years.. Lot's of small places up there. Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry area. I lived closer to Coeur d'Alene and had 63 acres.

You say your'e looking for a place "not ruled by urban people".
I'm not sure there is such a place anymore. At the local/county level yes, quite a few (I live in Montana in a great county). But all it takes is a few large cities/urban areas to be a majority at a statewide level to control the state. I grew up in Washington on the east side in the mountains north of Spokane, very conservative and rural as a kid. But even in the 80's King County (seattle) had enough people that they basically controlled the state on anything past the county level.

MSD, every time you filled out that 4473 form at a dealers you created a record. What do you think they are for? Plus, we've had a permit system here forever. I grew up with it.

Hugh- 25 years ago if I'd have told you we'd have marriage for gays would have believed me? If I'd told you incandescent light bulbs would be on course for outlawing, would you have believed me? If I told you the town dump would be closed and you'd have to pay $15.00 to toss 2 bags of garbage into a bin, would you have believed me? If I told you a kid would be required to be in a car seat till he was 8 years old, would you have believed me? If I told your debt would be $16 trillion dollars and 51% of the taxpayers would pay no effective income tax, would you have believed me?

If I wait till they take my guns to move, then I'm out not just the money I spent on them, but I've lost my fathers guns and father in laws guns. What? I can replace them at Walmart? And the last time I checked, what YOU condone has no effect on me. That's what that crazy idea about FREEDOM is all about.

I'm not looking for "ideal", I'm looking for suggestions on where to start looking.

Tanker, I'm sorry, but when you say Minnesota names like Al Franken, Keith Ellison, Walter Mondale and Tim Pawlenty jump to mind. I mean, yeah, you got Michelle Bachman, but you got AL FRANKEN!!! I had a chance to literally push that slime bag under a bus in NYC once. A tiny part of me regrets not doing it. So, thanks, but no thanks. I already live where I have 5-6 months where I can wake up to 16" of "partly cloudy".

Fred, thank you for your informative and thought provoking input.

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at those areas in Idaho. Doesn't Sandpoint have some connection with draft horses? That's one of my passions. I know the fishing is great in that state.

Colo. 9000' Elev. E-mail is open.
a93469.jpg

The news media reported it exactly as he said it. And how much do you think a permit will be????? Oh, my heavens noo! We can't drill in the Marcellus Shale in NYS for $$$ but I bet a Marlin 336 30/30 permit cost will be $500.00.

We'd love to have you in KS but the price would make you cry. All land of any size here is tillable so you pay for it. Nice balance of winter and summer with all the purdy wheat fields.

Did I mention guns? Still just need proof of address and that's it. Took much less time to buy my new Ruger than tags for the vehicles. Small town of 3000 a few miles away. It don't get better.

$200,000 for 342 acres and a house?

$200,000 divided by 342 acres is $584 an acre?

I am not familiar with the lay of the land up there, but that seems awfully cheap.

Any kind of land here in MO. is going for 3-4 times that, without the house.

Better stay put.

Gene

I can tell tell you are a New York trooper Bret, you are a human being first, citizen second and you won't let your job cloud your bliefs and reasoning... trouble is, you need to be contagious or reproduce more!!
I had NY troopers crawl under trucks and cars with me to tie up a muffler or crimp a brake line... I never saw a Mass 'statie' get out of the cruiser unless there was a citation involved... never mind get wet and dirty! like you guys!
The main issue here, the real 'deadly issue'... isn't the outcries of gun confiscation and kindergarden cops.... but a lack of political opposition... which is what I always admired about Canada. Always seemed to be a 49/51 split, the minority keeps an eye on the majority like a hawk, and alway ready for a big nasty fight! Here.... if enough GOP senators and reps go for a carrot... like McHugh did.... there will be a one party ... technically 'facist' state...not state, but most powerfull country in history... that is where the rest of the world needs to realize what the US constition...and line 2 is all about. Whe I wore a county badge, I felt I had to stand up and tell the intimidating speakers what I felt- they always ask for opinions right? And I said 'worked' past tense?
All state troopers, local police guardsmen and reservists NEED to speak up in opposition.. like a Canadian politian! and not sit there and stew in silence... that is what the 'opposition' is counting on..... we are in an ancient Chinese curse... 'may you live in interesting times'.... Merry Christmas...

Wisconsin? Same weather. Same latitude. Not quite as picturesque. Deer in abundance. Bear, turkeys, everyone goes fishing. There are so many lakes they ran out of names for them. Ever go fishing Muskies? Take an aluminum baseball bat with you or they'll eat you alive when you get them in the boat. And coyotes you can shoot at anytime. My grandson and I target practice in the backyard, sometimes at coyotes. No wild hogs, though. Lots of trapshooting ranges. High taxes but not quite as high as NY. Concealed carry, handgun season for deer. Farms galore. The ones that would be good for sheep are not considered prime so might be a little cheaper. Most farmers out here are into corn, soybeans, alfalfa, dairy cattle, some beef. Occasionally poultry. They like big fields. No poisonous snakes or insects once you get north of Wis Dells. In fact, DNR thought it would be a good idea to introduce some rattlesnakes in the northwoods but they couldn't survive. Good schools where there is a noticeable absentee rate during certain hunting seasons.
The downside? Long winters but you're used to that. Not much to do on those long winter evenings unless you're into bowling, friday night fishfries, Packer games,etc. Ice fishing? All winter long. Sturgeon season on Lake Winnebago and tributaries is right around the corner. Card games, the only place in the world they play sheepshead Wisconsin style. Going to farm auctions, Ole and Lena jokes, Lutefisk and Lefsa dinners at the Scaninavian Lutheran Church the way they're supposed to be done. Luther League parties (an organization intended for young people but mostly attended by people in their seventies). The list goes on and on, but I'm sure you get the picture. (;>))
Oh, and the people talk funny. Oh, yeah!

Bret,
Perhaps I was reading between the lines of the Gov's remarks, and I'm not trying to argue with you, but if in the past you made a routine traffic stop and saw a gun case in the rear seat of the car, wouldn't you have asked to see what was in it and then ask for proper paperwork. If it was a weapon of questionable nature, and if the driver could not provide you with reasonable answers to your questions about the gun, wouldn't you have retained the driver and confiscate the weapon if found to be undocumented?
Loren

A governor of a state can not confiscate your guns.
The President can not confiscate your guns.
The US House and Senate might propose changes to gun laws but can not confiscate your guns.
The US Supreme Court might try to legislate from the bench but can not confiscate your guns.
A Constitutional Ammendment which requires ratification by 3/4 of the States is the only way they can confiscate your guns.
It aint gonna happen in our lifetimes.
Relax. And buy more guns.
They are a good investment and a great means of self protection.

(quoted from post at 17:00:00 12/22/12) Bret,
Perhaps I was reading between the lines of the Gov's remarks, and I'm not trying to argue with you, but if in the past you made a routine traffic stop and saw a gun case in the rear seat of the car, wouldn't you have asked to see what was in it and then ask for proper paperwork. If it was a weapon of questionable nature, and if the driver could not provide you with reasonable answers to your questions about the gun, wouldn't you have retained the driver and confiscate the weapon if found to be undocumented?
Loren

If I saw a long gun all I ever asked was to see that it was unloaded, if that. I might ask what it was and get into a nice discussion of the merits of his choice vs mine. If it was a handgun then it had to be on his permit. If things didn't add up we might go to the station to look into it, but I did not CONFISCATE his gun for no reason other than it was "scary looking" or held a lot of cartridges. If the gun was illegal, like with a sawed off 12" barrel, or stolen, that was another thing. If the gun was questionable, like it was his wifes, on her permit and not his but in his possession, then I might hold it in evidence until she showed up to claim it, but probably not even that. We were supposed to be smart enough to recognize the difference between a criminal act and an innocent mistake that did no harm. That type of thing was done by autobots who would do things like try to write up farmers on ATVs fixing fence for not having it registered or wearing a helmet. Is that the kind of dope you want as a Trooper?

I am Pro Gas, (Don't get me going on that). Who knows what your permit will cost?, that is not on the table yet. I have guns, and have NO intentions of NOT having them.
Back in the 60s we all bought big muscle cars. Then the insurance companies started charging premiums for big HP. So if you want Big Fire Power now, why shouldn't you have to pay for it? I have a 12 guage and a 22. My son and DIL bow hunt and our freezers are full.
Loren, the Acg.

Keep in mind that the government that you so fear is composed of the people that we elected. Both Dem and Rep.
Why is it that once we elect them we then fear that they are going to take away our "rights"?
Winston Churchhill once said that we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
We are simply overwhelmed with political BS from both sides to the point that we begin to believe it. Go ahead and sell your nice place in NY and head for the hills. Good luck!

Doesn't give me a real cuddly feeling someone was elected,Adolph Hitler was elected and how'd that
work out?
Anyway 'we' is the people that actually votes for someone that wins, those that vote against them aren't part of 'we'

You've obviously never been east of the Delaware river. Governors there can and do confiscate guns. They have State Police agencies that are the "State Police" and not a Highway Patrol working under the State DOT. Try New Jersey on for size. If you don't have a long gun owners ID card (Issued by "THE STATE") you are not legal in owning a long gun. It will be confiscated and you will go to jail. End of story.

One of my friends that was drafted into the Army in 1952 and I was drafted the following year. He and his wife bought 40 odd acres in the late 50's and it had small home. He gave the home along with several acres to his daughter. They had a log home built around 1990. The daughter sold the home and moved to GA. I received a Christmas card from them saying they had sold the property in MD and had moved to GA. They had it advertised for $525000.00. They sold it this past June for $475000.00. If I were you I would have your property appraised. Hal
PS: Autozone paid $400000.00 for a 1/2 acre lot just down the road from my nephew. My parents bought that home when they left the farm in the 50's when my brother and I were in the military. They paid $11000.00 for it and its a big rancher. My nephew is afraid his taxes will skyrocket. The land is worh more than the home.

Bret,
I am not trying to offend you. I know this is a touchy subject. Here is a Hypothetical question for you. If you were in CT and had stopped the SH shooter, armed and on his way to the school how would you have handled the stop? I know there are lots of variables, and I know you have been trained to "read" people. I think people like you should have a lot more input on how the inevitable,""New Gun Laws" will play out. As you posted earlier, start speaking out, but, lets do it in a rational manor. I want to see the Big guns in the Good Guys hands, not viseversa.
Loren the Acg.

We are in N E Tx. Taxes on 197 acres, 2500 sq ft home, shop, hay barn, tractor shed are about $2,000/yr.

Land sells from $1400 to $6,000/acre depending on improvements - brush/woods & no structures to good pasture, nice home, woods, shop, barns, etc.

Summers would be hot by your standards. Average is 10 to 20 days of 100 or more.

Winters are mild. Maybe 15 nights below freezing from November through Feb.

Tx is a gun friendly state.

Spreading panic is an industry. Panic makes sensible people silly and association presidents rich. Nevermind the facts, or the realities. These rumor mongers have been getting rich off of these conspiracy theories all my life.

Smart educated people that I know and like, lose all sense of reason over some silly rumor.

Listen to the radio at 3 AM while the nuts and wackos talk about space aliens among us. Government has been covering it up......sure. Did you take your meds today?

Been going on all my life, and we are still here.

100 miles west of Nashville Tenn in the northern fringes of Tenn. Can meet just about all your concerns. Land prices and taxes are not bad, No state INCOME tax, Middle of the road on climate , few hat days and a few cold . Elevation will be a little short of your request. Absolutely no gun issues.. You own it you got it.

That is a very big stretch. The law is very simple and easy to comply with. It says crazy people can not buy guns. Seems like the Head of the big gun asso. said we needed to deal with crazy people...they are the problem.... he said.

I had to register my cars in New Jersey too, but they never confiscated any of them.

And southerns too Walt. Not only the California kind but the ones south of the border too.

Dick

Been in Missouri for 32 years but my dad started buying this land in 1976. Taxes are low and as long as your in an area away from the big cities there is pretty much no problems with guns and what you want to own. I pay less then $500 a year in taxes so as I said cheap ad you can buy land for around $1000-1500 per acre depending on where you buy

Now you've gone a stretch further than "big". There is no requirement in New Jersey to register a gun. To own a gun, you must apply for and receive a gun owners ID card. A separate one for long guns or hand guns. This requires the state to do a complete background check on the individual. Any history of mental illness, domestic disturbance convictions or a host of other things can disqualify. But, what I said is true. Without that owners ID card, you are in violation. Ask the guy who moved into NJ with some guns from another state and was jailed. He had no history of convictions of any kind and had simply misinterpreted NJ law along with some bad information. His sentence was terminated by Gov Christie. The previous governor had no such inclination. So, I'm right. You're wrong.

Let me get this straight, you own a 342 acre farm, have a comfortable home and decent buildings and you're thinking of leaving your home on the grounds of what some politician said. He will be out of office and someone will replace him, he is temporary and you would leave behind 20 years of equity in a farm on that basis alone? Here a 340 acre farm with a decent home and buildings will bring 750-800K. The ground alone would bring 630-680. I like my land, if I had 340 acres at 90k you can beat your ask I'd stay right where I was. PS A national issue will not be decided at a state level.

I know your area well. Lived in upstate NY many years.

Trust me. The rural west is very very different from where you are now. Lower taxes, Higher land prices. Some trashy people both places.
As for taxes...you get what you pay for....lower taxes, lower services.

Picking up and moving is a much bigger challenge than most expect and many do not stick it out...pack up and go home.

As for gun laws. Don't over react. Upstate is still very very rural and I don't see big changes for long arms for hunting. Assault rifles maybe. Never had one, cant see why I need one. I've hunted the Adirondacks and Booneville area for years and never had a gun check.

Some people are going to get very wealthy scaring us gun owners into contributing money for no real purpose, except their salaries.

(quoted from post at 21:46:00 12/22/12) I can't believe I made that mistake! What the heck was it that Churchill said?

Churchill said many great things, here are a couple favorites:

Never, never, never give up.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

I lived in NY till I was 50 retired from a state job and moved to Wi. NY taxes 3000 per year on 26 acres. moved to Wi in 1990 80 acres 800 per year taxes. Temperatures 10 degrees colder in winter the snow you get on the first day of hunting season is still there in April. They tax your pension in Wi. You can get a job there the day after you get there. I could have my job back if I went back even tho I am 70 now. My 2 sons and their families moved there too. The smart one still lives there. People ask me why I came back, I tell them "just plain stupid." In 1990 Wi was #4 in taxes NY was #1 I'll tell you there was a big difference between #1 and#4. Most things were cheaper there I still stock up when I go out there. I lived right in the center of Wi.

Did it ever occur to you that one reason NY taxes are so high is because people like yourself can retire from state jobs at 50 and draw pensions for more years than you worked?

Actually I have owned my guns a long long time so I never filled out
any cards. Was an gun auction here a couple weeks ago that I
posted. I wonder how many cards were filled out after that one if
any.

If you are drawing a pension at 52 from a state job then you are a big cause of the problem you now want to run away from, California people have been migrating to the mountain west for years and are in the process of ruining Colorado and Montana right now.

I would maybe think about Kentucky. Moderate climate, a right-wing state too, for the most part.
A gun confiscation would be super stupid, and your governor knows it. How would it be enforced? It would first be a gun register program, sure just sign me right up on that list. I remember Diane Feinstein making a comment many years ago that she wanted to get a bill put in place for ALL the guns in America to be turned in. Umm...Yep I will just turn in my stuff for free cause I am stupid. WTF? Just be careful how far west you go, you might hit the left coast.

Erik-

I understand where you are coming from but with all due respect, you don't understand New York State politics.

The Governor, Andrew Cuomo, is a abundant and the son of former NY Governor Mario Cuomo, also a abundant and one of the worst governors we've ever had.

New York State is pretty much controlled politically, by New York City. And that's as abundant a place as you can find. There are pockets of abundant yahooism in upstate NY (Albany, Rochester, Buffalo) and the combined votes are more than we conservative upstaters can offset. (Forgot to mention Ithaca, NY, a goofy abundant city in the middle of the Finger Lakes, an area that is one of God's finest creations. I've seen bumper stickers that say: "Ithaca-10 square miles surrounded by reality!")

So when Cuomo, being the anti-gun abundant that he is, says that he would like to put in place a plan to confiscate, buy back or register guns, he not only means it but probably has the political clout to do it.

So--the situation for us here in NY is not just another abundant dummy politican shooting off his mouth and that probably nothing will come of it; rather, it's pretty much an "in your face,here's what's coming at you" possibility.

I enjoy your pics and especially the ones of your dog. Please keep them coming.

Regards and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

doubleN

I like what you are saying and hope so much that what you are saying will hold true. But--show me even ONE time when bammy and his "goose steppting" followers have paid any attention to or worried about what's in the Constitution.

My suggestion is Kentucky! Stay away from the Louisville area. (abundant stronghold of the state) Other than that, you have a good mix of people and influences (ie "North", "South" ect) Kentucky is mostly conservative, although we currently have a Lemmingcrat/external_linkcrat governor. Western Ky is VERY nnalert. The liquor (Bourbon) and tobacco industries have a lot of clout here, and tend to keep left wing extremism at bay. Kentucky even recently passed a state constitutional amendment that makes hunting and fishing a "constitutional right" of citizens of the commonwealth.

Land values are all over the board. Some areas nearer to the states larger cities have over-blown values, but once you're out in the country, prices are fairly stable and not too unreasonable.

Taxes are cheap (state)

And best of all, Kentucky offers a wide variety of landscapes. From the rolling plains of western Ky, to the hills of eastern Ky, you can find virtually every type of topography you may be interested in. Lots of water...Lakes, rivers, ect. And being somewhat centrally located in the US, and with major interstates going in all directions, you aren't far from anywhere else.

As far as guns and the chances of them being taken away, well, Kentucky has quite of reputation for dealing with the Feds. (re; prohibition era) Not sure they wanna head back up the hills and hollers after our guns. They might just find the same sort of luck that befell them when they tried to take our corn likker!!!!

If you are really saying that your place will only bring $225.000, then you better stay where you are unless you have hit the big lotto. That kind of money around here will not get you anywhere to live that is decent. Land is 6000 an acre and you couldnt build much house for 250,000. The move would cost you much more than you think. Better stick it out where you are. Tom

Bret, I hear you! From Binghamton area here, you are in one of the most beautiful areas in the world...but I hear ya! No too many "Patriots" line up to join us in watering the Liberty tree when the dumb scnit tries to take our guns and this thing starts here in the "Empire" State.

(quoted from post at 20:50:58 12/22/12) Did it ever occur to you that one reason NY taxes are so high is because people like yourself can retire from state jobs at 50 and draw pensions for more years than you worked?

Did it ever occur to you I contributed to my pension and I can drop dead today? The average life expectancy of a retired cop in this state after 20 years service is between 5 and 7 years.

There are great number of reasons why the taxes are so high. Most revolve around entitlement spending. I contributed to my pension, paid and still pay taxes. Welfare rats never did any of that and have a longer life expectancy and there are lots more of them. Figure that into your thought process friend.

Thanks for the ideas guys. This isn't something I can do today, but a year or so down the road. I looked at properties near me last night. My figures, if anything, may be a little high as far as the selling value of my place. Hard to say. The place next door to me, which I think was 375 acres and effectively no house/barn ( it had to be burnt down) just sold for $70K at county auction for hunting land to a Tuscaloosa Ala. real estate/insurance investor. A 500+ parcel with a good barn, stone house sold several years back for $230K to a Florida investor, was on for sale a year later at 600K and sold I believe for $400K and change to another out of state "investor". So I'm not too sure on just what it's really worth.

Those of you saying stay, I get it. But I already moved out of the Park because of regulations and taxes and things like that. We went from abundant Gov to abundant gov all my life. Rockerfeller was the last quasi-conservative. Pataki was a RINO, he bought up more land for the state than anyone, even though he and his family were the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. He was a really nice man to visit with. The guy in there now has Presidential aspirations, 100% certain of that. He will do whatever he wants, how ever he wants, whenever he wants because there's no one to stop him.

I don't mean to make this political. Look at it from a tax perspective. My escrow tax payment is more than my mortgage payment. And our county taxes just took a 13% jump. 20% plus was what they wanted. The landowners have little say in this county simply because we're out numbered by the non land owners. We have 2 universities and 2 colleges in this county. The 3 newspapers are owned by one of the universities. You can't win here.'

So I'm thinking about leaving because of a number of things. I don't WANT to leave, I just feel that I can' suffer under this type of gov't. If the Federal gov't creates some type of new laws that are equal to what our Gov. might do, then it's a moot point and I might as well just pack it all in and forget everything altogether. Lets not forget all the other stuff they talked about- outlawing kids working on farms, dust regulations, tractor emissions, NAIS, etc. It's the urban/rural divide.

(quoted from post at 19:36:03 12/22/12) Let me get this straight, you own a 342 acre farm, have a comfortable home and decent buildings and you're thinking of leaving your home on the grounds of what some politician said. He will be out of office and someone will replace him, he is temporary and you would leave behind 20 years of equity in a farm on that basis alone? Here a 340 acre farm with a decent home and buildings will bring 750-800K. The ground alone would bring 630-680. I like my land, if I had 340 acres at 90k you can beat your ask I'd stay right where I was. PS A national issue will not be decided at a state level.

The govenor of NYS is a abundant.He will leave office when he sees fit and at that time will seek the white house. He held federal office under Clinton and has shown himself to be against gun ownership. He has been a fairly decent gov. to this point but his anti gun stand hasen't gotten my vote yet and never will.

You should have taken one of those state jobs. Then you could stand in one of the Sing Sing rec rooms with 100 inmates yelling at you or play basketball with an inmate on death row, just don't go in on friday, the day after I did because the officer got beat pretty bad friday. Or maybe you would have liked going into Attica during the riot. It's a pretty easy job but you do have to pay into your retirement.

If you thought for one minute that your life expectancy was 5-7 years you would have other things on your mind than moving. There are plenty of welfare cases layed up on the taxpayer but the entitlement spending that is breaking cities and states all over the country is the extravagant retirements that have been promised to government workers, the numbers do not add up and the payouts are not sustainable, fact of life, this has been obvious since the 70"s but people wanted these benefits and jobs so they voted for the politicians that woul provie the fairytale.

I retired from the Federal Government at 56 could've retired at 55. I had a total of 38 years with my time in the Army. Been retired 25 years hope to live another 10 or so since I'm in very good health and so is the wife. My wife's oldest sister is 95 and sounds like someone a lot younger when we call her. Hal

You should come with me to the Nigerian Delta or the Saudi desert or Angola or the Columbian jungle with no protection whatsoever except a 36'' pipe wrench, risk and danger are inherent in life.

Seriously,make sure you do a 1031 Exchange or the government that wants your guns will have your money too.

In the lake of the Ozark area there is a lot of it. Problem is this area is only good for cattle and hay not row crops. I know a guy who just got 45 acres for $65,000 and that is less then any $4500 per

I wish you continued good health and hope you are around for many years to come. The point I was trying to make was not to disparage anyone it is simply to point out the obvious, the municipal, state and federal retirement systems including Social Sececurity are all broke and overextended on top of being broke. A large percentage of the population, myself included, have been promised benefits that are mathematically impossible to provide. I have paid in Social Security taxes for over 40 years, I have paid the maximum for at least 25 years, even at that I have not paid in anything near what I will be eligible to draw if I live to the age of my Father and Grandfather, not to mention what my wife will continue to draw when I kick out. You are entitled to your benefits as promised but you know that if you had of taken every nickel you contributed and drew 10% compounded it would not nearly equal what you have drawn or will continue to draw, the whole government employment/retirement system is the real fiscal cliff and one day it will crash.
Politicians are never going to touch this contentious issue with a 10 foot pole so it will not be solved, just fester until a crisis forces entitys to fail to make payments just as has happened in several cities across the country already.

You are correct in your statistics, Bret. I am
retired and very few of the cops I retired with are
alive. Most of them lasted just a few years and that
is why Washington allows them to retire at an
earlier age. I've been shot at, assaulted,
threatened and spit on; I earned my retirement. I
don't begrudge the military 20 year retirement; they
also get shot at and assaulted.

Do they draft prison guards in NY or do people voluntarily apply for the jobs? I'm always surprised when someone chooses a profession, then wants special considerations. Didn't you know the situation when you signed on?

Funny, when I started I was making $17K doing a job most people either wouldn't take because of the lousy pay or couldn't qualify for if they were willing. Now I'm a leech sucking off society.

Don't think about moving to NC. So many from NY and NJ here now
it will soon be no better than where you are now.

I'm familiar with that problem Bud. Northern NY is so so much different than the NYC area it's another world. We don;t get the NYC types moving in here as much as we did in the Adirondack park, but we do get them. Oddly, we seem to get people from Chicago. I've told the story of the Indian/Pakistani Physicist that bougth the palce next door. Dogs chasing sheep, kids wandering the roads at all hours, wife carrying on with the hired men while he was away for weeks at a time, her complaining about EVERYTHING. It was a blessing for all when they moved out.

Where we are is rural and I mean RURAL. If you don't know NY beyond the city, you don;t know NY.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back