oT: Ford Tempo update

Fuddy Duddy

Got the engine in the machine shop. They said it has a cracked cylinder and bent rod. Just one of those things. No indication why it happened. It has a cast iron head. They said they can fix it for a $1000. That's a new Sleeve in that cylinder, Bored, new pistons & pins, rings, Rod & main bearings, thrust washers, timing components, New oil pump, cam bearings, lifters, freeze plugs, oil galley plugs, cam shaft, Rebuilding the head connecting rods (replace the bent one), push rods rocker arms and o'cousre gasket set.
They seem to know what they are doing. Got to talking about Ford "N"s the old guy said he cut his teeth on them.
I know I couldn't turn around and get haft of what I'm putting in to it. I just want it dependable for my Daughter as she will be going off the college this next Fall. I think this is the best way to go about it. You can't go out a buy a car for three grand and not expect problems. Now this car will be basically new. I had just bought new tires, alignment and starter and Brakes three weeks before. That was a grand itself. Only real thing left is the transmission (Knock on wood)
I'll left her worry about the real sell value in five years when she has a job and wants to trade it in for a car that she will be paying for.

Probably a wise decision.....my daughters ruined 3 or four (counting 1 twice) of my cars before they got out on their own - best not to be too spendy on anything but reliability with them ;<) !

I was never a fan of the Tempo, but when my F-I-L died in 1997 he left behind a '92 Tempo with 105K miles on it that no one in the family wanted. I needed a car at the time so I said I'd take it. I drove that car daily for about 4 years. Put 80,000 miles on it. It was running like a Swiss watch when Bambi's father jumped in front of it one night. Boom! I was back walking again in the blink of an eye. It was nothing fancy but it gave me dependable transportation real cheap at a time I really needed it. Sorry to hear about your engine problems.

I was never a fan of the Tempo, but when my F-I-L died in 1997 he left behind a '92 Tempo with 105K miles on it that no one in the family wanted. I needed a car at the time so I said I'd take it. I drove that car daily for about 4 years. Put 80,000 miles on it. It was running like a Swiss watch when Bambi's father jumped in front of it one night. Boom! I was back walking again in the blink of an eye. It was nothing fancy but it gave me dependable transportation real cheap at a time I really needed it. Sorry to hear about your engine problems.

Putting in another grand, I would ask about warranty on that engine. That may be asking a bit much, however but you do not want to put another grand in it, and after you find out they accidentally left something loose in the engine you are back to square one. I disagree that you cannot buy a reliable car for 2 grand, as I just finished buying one for exactly that for my son (I know they are few and far between though, and I could easily sell it for more should I choose). Probably just lucky, but I bought a 1998 Camry that was a one owner car that has just had new brakes, and tires put on and it runs like a new car (other than the fact it does not have the creature comforts of a new one). Not a rattle, squeak, or hint of anything wrong with it, and gets 32 MPG easy. I was very reluctant to turn loose of it once I knew what I had, however where I live is not kind to a low slung car like a Camry (everything we have is 4x4 now due to terrain getting in and out). I don"t think it is asking too much for a 90 day, 5000 or 10,000 mile warranty on his work. Most likely if it will run that long it will go 100,000 easy with proper care. Years ago I had a "rebuilt" engine put in, and it spun a rod bearing in 900 miles. I had purchased at a local auto parts store, and they wanted me to pay for the replacement engine, then after they received the core, and checked it out they would reimburse me. Luckily I talked the parts store into fronting the money and let me swap core for replacement, then he would keep the money once they reimbused him. Come to find out the so called rebuilder was a bly by night salvage yard, and he said he never got the money back, and had several other engines fail as well. All I was out was $100 labor for a guy who swapped the engines for me.

They said they would warrantee it for a year. No doubt you can luck up and find a good car for $2000 sometimes. But it's just that "Luck". Most of the ones I see have 150,000 plus miles. And then there is the time factor. Rebuilding the car will be back on the road in two or three weeks at the most. Not having that second car creates a burden on my wife shuttling kids around or having to lone hers out. I checked out the Machine Shop. It looked like they are running a good operation. Life's always a crap shoot. But I think this is my best bet. Thanks for your comments. Wish me Luck. I could use some.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back