PicsResults-Estate Sale with 4 Tractors and Much More

1206SWMO

Yesterday I had planned to pull at my first antique tractor pull for the year but it got rained out..So,the next best thing to do is go to a farm sale..So at 7:15 AM in a light drizzle I headed 85 miles NW to Welda,Kansas for the Adams Estate Sale...Hiway 169 from Iola to Garnett is closed for construction and so are all the gravel roads that cross it...I had to go about 15 miles out of the way to get there....Water was standing in most fields and very little corn was planted...By the time I got to the sale the sun was out and it was a nice day with temps in the upper 60's...The items on this sale hadn't been used in a few years and hadn't had the best of care...Things still sold pretty good....There was lots of scrap and it sold good..The sale started at 10 AM and was over a little after 2 PM..
cvphoto86206.jpg

The 1086 IH sold for $3,500...It wasnt running, no oil showed on the dip stick, and a few small parts were missing.
cvphoto86209.jpg

The 826 IH sold for $4,100 and I knew the buyer...It wasnt running but the auctioneer said that they had it running for a little bit but that it wouldnt stay running..
cvphoto86210.jpg

The 560 Farmall gas sold for $1,150....It had been driven in the shed years ago and wasnt running..

cvphoto86211.jpg

The Cub Lo-Boy sold for $375...It hadn't run in years.
cvphoto86212.jpg

The D-6 Cat sold for $5,400...It started easy and ran good...The undercarriage was decent and the blade worked good..The steering clutches need some attention
cvphoto86213.jpg

The 20 ft bean head for the Case-IH 1640 combine sold for $375 and went for scrap..The 1640 combine with RWA sold for $850 and went for scrap...It would part out for lots more than that...
cvphoto86214.jpg

Heres why the Case-IH 1640 combine didnt sell good..The 5.9 Cummins threw a rod.
cvphoto86215.jpg

The late 1970's 715 IH diesel combine sold for $600 for scrap...The D-310 German diesel wasnt running..
cvphoto86216.jpg

The PJ gooseneck trailer sold for $2,900.
cvphoto86217.jpg

The John Deere 346 baler sold for $2,800..

I'll be back with 10 more pictures and results..

cvphoto86218.jpg

The New Holland Grinder-Mixer sold for $1,000...It had some rust..
cvphoto86219.jpg

The Dual 9 shank ripper sold for $1,100..
cvphoto86220.jpg

The dozer trailer for the D-6 Cat sold for $725..All the tires were shot..In the back ground is a IH Cyclo air planter...There were 6-7 of them and they all sold for scrap..
cvphoto86221.jpg

The Brillion seeder sold for $2,000...They work great for Alfalfa.
cvphoto86222.jpg

The 2003 Ford Bus sold for $1,350..The Power-Stroke started easy and ran good..

cvphoto86223.jpg

The C-50 Chevy 10 wheeler sold for scrap for $800.
cvphoto86224.jpg

The 615 IH combines sold for scrap for $600 each...There were numerous grain heads and corn heads for the 615 and 715 IH combines...They all went for scrap.
cvphoto86225.jpg

The rake sold for $1,100.
cvphoto86226.jpg

The D-6 Cat for parts sold for $850...There was a blade for it but it hadn't sold when I left..
cvphoto86227.jpg

The family kept the Chevelle..

I'll be back with more pictures..

cvphoto86229.jpg

The non running Ford pickup sold for $290..
cvphoto86230.jpg

The small gooseneck sold for $1,600.
cvphoto86231.jpg

The squeeze chute sold for $875..
cvphoto86232.jpg

Nice original dealer sticker on the 560 Farmall...Its for the IH dealer in Iola,KS that has been gone for over 40 years.
cvphoto86233.jpg

The corn sheller only sold for $10..
cvphoto86234.jpg

The C-50 Chevy sold for scrap for $650..
cvphoto86235.jpg

After the sale was over I spent 4 hours exploring Anderson County Kansas..All thats left of Amiot,KS is a stone showing its location..It was founded in 1887 and at its peak had 40 residents in 1910..At one time it had a church,school,post office, general store, train depot, several homes-etc..The RR left in 1935 and the tracks are gone...By 1965 all that was left was a house and the school...They soon disappeared and all thats left are memories.
cvphoto86237.jpg

One room school NW of Garnett..
cvphoto86238.jpg

All thats left of Glenloch,KS is the old school and church..It was last used by a 4H club..Several of the streets are still there.
cvphoto86239.jpg

One of the many low water bridges in Anderson County...I crossed 3 in half a mile on one road...You dont go exploring there after a big rain..

cvphoto86240.jpg

cvphoto86241.jpg

All thats left of Central City,KS in the cemetery gate and the school..It once had a 2 story hotel..
cvphoto86242.jpg

After some debate I crossed this one with no problems..It it had been much deeper I would have turned around..
cvphoto86243.jpg

This old time grain elevator was in a field 1/4th mile off the road real close to the sale..It once could have been on the rail line that went out in the 1930's
cvphoto86244.jpg

Old grain elevator in Centerville,KS.

cvphoto86245.jpg

cvphoto86246.jpg

Wesley Chapel near Centerville,KS...My favorite old church in all of Kansas...It looks a little worse every time I see it.These are pictures from several years back.

Thanks for the pictures. It seems like the 1640 combine might have been worth putting an engine in depending on its condition or definitely a good parts machine. I enjoy the pictures of the old school houses, churches and towns etc . They are both interesting and a little sad at the same time.

Beans had been left in the combine and some things were rusted thru...I felt like the header was worth $1,000 to the right person as the sickle sections and held downs were new...The RWA should be worth up to $2500,the drive tires $800-1000-etc....I hated to see it go for scrap..The scrapper that got it gives people a chance to buy parts.

I probably have 15,000 plus pictures of small Kansas towns, schools,churches,grain elevators,houses,barns,old machinery,etc...
cvphoto86254.jpg

Old Christian church in Walnut,KS..
cvphoto86255.jpg

Old church north of Westphalia,KS..
cvphoto86256.jpg

Church in Devon,KS.

cvphoto86257.jpg

Church in Porterville,KS.
cvphoto86258.jpg

Church near Rosalia,KS

Great job!

A distant cousin of mine took it upon herself to personally photograph all 93 county courthouses in Nebraska.

Thank you very much for posting the pictures. I really love to see rural America!!! Several times I have taken off for a few days or several days and just start driving through rural areas. Have no plan or destination. I also look for the ma and pa diners.

Great pictures,always surprises me how people have deserted so many of these small towns,small towns in my area have turned into big towns and cities in my
lifetime.

So interesting to follow your posts. I always grab my Kansas road map and follow the geography. It is sad to think of all these small towns that are no more. It is too common in the rural areas of the US and probably Canada and elsewhere in the world. The people just keep piling into the cities and the problems continue to mount. Can we say bigger and bigger and more costly farm machinery is part of the problem that drives people away from the rural areas?

Thank you so much for the great photos. So sad to see the buildings in disrepair. Just to think of all the adults and children of every walk of life fill those buildings for school, church, social and civic meetings, etc. A much simpler time. Wingnut

Scrap must sell for more there than where I live. I don't see how they can pay the prices I see, and afford to cut it up for scrap, and come out head. Stan

There are several very aggressive scrap buyers in eastern Kansas...About 10 years ago at a farm sale I watched one buyer pay $1200 a piece for two Loadstar IH 2 ton trucks..I had a couple of trucks just like them to sell and asked him if he would pay that if I delivered them to him on Monday...He just laughed and said that this is a one day special and the day is about over..He was just showing them whom the boss was..I hear that they often have big contracts to fill and will pay way over market prices at sales but not at their place of business.

At the sale one scrap buyer sold the dash out of one of the Chevy trucks for $100 or more..I would say that other parts got sold..

I bought a Massey chopper at a sale once, it had the pickup head on it...I had seen the local scrap buyer had bought a pile of junk that had the corn head in it. I offered him $40 for the corn head and paid for his pile of junk...we were both happy.

Several of these guys sell parts off them before they totally scrap them...The head had a new sickle and hold downs..At one sale about 10 years ago at Pomona,KS there were 100 old tractors... This same scrapper that bought the 20 ft head on Saturday bought a decent looking GVI MM diesel at the Pomona sale for $550..The engine had been rebuilt 20 years ago and never ran...I didnt get the tractor I wanted so I asked the scrapper what he wanted for the GVI MM..He asked me what he paid for it and I said $550...He then said he'd take $700 for it and I immediately bought it..He bought around 35 tractors at the sale and sold lots of parts off them right at the sale....He also sold several tractors complete after the sale was over..

Heres me pulling that GVI MM at Adrian,MO in 2016...Notice the scrappers paint mark on it...
cvphoto86343.jpg

You have a lot in common with a veternary in Cedar Falls, Iowa who recently wrote a book about all the schools of yore in Kansas!

I so enjoy the tours and history that you tell. And the auctions are wonderful with information. I can't believe some of that equipment sold for scrap. I would have brought those big trucks home for sure. Thanks So Much!

He was just showing them whom the boss was..

I always laugh when hear guys say that. Over paying for junk (literally) shows more stupidity than dominance.

A couple months ago I watched a John Deeere 346 baler sell at an auction west of Manhattan KS. It was full of hay and not one bale was tied. It looked like they gave up on it in the middle of the field and left it sit outside for a year or two. It sold for $5800....

Enjoyed reading it once again. Sad that many of the small towns have disappeared. We have a few here that are like that. Just a few houses and nothing more. I'll say for the scrap guy, at least he will sell parts to people. Many of them will not do that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back