Restoring/Upgrading an Old 1960's Bus - NEED SOME INSIGHT

RTR

Well....something a little different than tractors for once. I've bought an old 1960's bus (school bus sized "greyhound style" bus) for my future Father In-Law. I was riding the backroads near where they live and spotted an old Blue Bus in a guys yard almost hidden from view. Having heard the story about his late Father's and Grandfather's Bus Transit Company, I knew they had Blue Buses (only just a few buses because it was a family owned business). This business was called "Joiner Transit" based out of Florence, Alabama. They offered Greyhound Services and had their own line. His dad passed away when he was an early teenager in the early 1970's; and the company has since been just a memory. Upon pulling up to look at this bus, I quickly spotted "Joiner Transit" on the side.......and even more clearer on the other side!!!! Oh my, what have I found!?!? Well his birthday was actually that day and I was headed to town to get a birthday card. How nice would it be to snap a picture to go along with that card!! I did just that and he was very emotional saying that was the very bus he and his sisters took on a trip with his dad all the way to Canada camping along the way. One of the last memories he had with him. Well....I had already talked to the old man who owned it as a storage building for his antique car parts and he told me he would sell me the bus if I wanted it. Well I knew I did but didn't play my cards just yet. When I heard my future FIL say "Man, I ought to buy that old Bus and bring it up here to the Farm!", I knew I HAD to go back and buy the bus as a surprise for him! With the help of an uncle in the family, we used his LoBoy to load and haul the bus about 4 miles to their farm. What a find, and piece of family history!!!

Now the task to restore the bus is about to begin. The uncle who helped me haul it has a MF Tractor & Industrial Compressor Dealership; so I have access to a big shop and parts accounts. The other uncle owns a Sand Blasting Service Company so we can get it cleaned up. I am just wondering if anyone here has or just knows what all is possible when fixing up something like this. I know they would want it so they could hire a driver and go to dinner in it with friends and family, and maybe some day-trips. They have a motorhome now they do that with, so what fun would it be to do it with the old family bus~!!

49223.jpg

49224.jpg
49225.jpg
49226.jpg
49227.jpg
49228.jpg
49229.jpg
49229.jpg

Cleaning it up and painting it won't be that difficult other than a lot of work. The hard part will be finding parts to get it running and restore the seats and instruments inside. Usually restoring a vehicle you at least work with one that is a collectors item where reproduction parts are available. I think with that buss you will be finding yourself having to repair or fabricate the old parts yourself. I think you will find yourself spending far more time and money doing that than painting the exterior.

Looks to be a GM bus. If it has 6 cylinder engine it is probably a 292. If a V8 it's probably a 327. 4 speed transmission, no power steering. I doubt if parts will be all that hard to get.

The body looks nicer than the school bus bodies which were made in the South East by blue bird. Seats may be much nicer than the seats provided for the non paying students, and I hope it has a better heater system than the school bus.

KEH

No repair insights... but what a great story!
Hope you post pics as you go along.

Your future father-in-law is certainly fortunate to have such a thoughtful young man marrying his daughter.

I've seen lots of school buses and lots of Greyhound-style coach buses, but never saw
one of these hybrids. Pretty neat, maybe just something south of the border, never
saw one up north here.

Should have no problem getting engine, drive train, and suspension parts, all typical of that era truck parts. Or plenty of room under the hood to repower with just about anything you desire.

Not seeing any rust from the pictures, so that is a big plus. Some damaged and missing covers on the side storage should be easy enough to copy and fab from the good ones.

Who was it on here that just bought the wrecked city bus? Possibly have some seats to offer!

Neat old bus! The guys over at http://www.stovebolt.com would love to see this and hear the story behind it. Also would be a good place to get advice/help. Several there do have restored buses though maybe not as big or unique as yours
Look here

Not trying to tell you what to do with your machinery, just saying what an old friend did with his bus.He had some wards cross bar rear tractor tires I wanted. He was a no cash, just trade type of guy. I had a brownie 4 speed auxarelly( sp) transmission which he installed in his bus taking it to tractor related events. The box had double overdrive speeds. He installed it and was very happy. Lower speed for mountains and great gearing for interstates. Said it paid for installation cost quickly in fuel mileage.

I have a 1975 jeep which is highly collectable. Still it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for it. As common as distributor points are it's not going to be long before I'm going to have to get those by mail order. I haven't tried NAPA yet but none of the other local auto parts stores carry points anymore.

With that van I can imagine gauges and other instruments very difficult to find. What if the speedometer on the bus no longer functions. I don't think you can find an aftermarket one to replace it. These are the sort of problems I foresee in restoring the bus.

(quoted from post at 06:59:44 05/30/17) I have a 1975 jeep which is highly collectable. Still it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for it. As common as distributor points are it's not going to be long before I'm going to have to get those by mail order. I haven't tried NAPA yet but none of the other local auto parts stores carry points anymore.

With that van I can imagine gauges and other instruments very difficult to find. What if the speedometer on the bus no longer functions. I don't think you can find an aftermarket one to replace it. These are the sort of problems I foresee in restoring the bus.

I am pretty sure it is a 1962-1964 C-60 Chevrolet Bus with the 327 V8......it is a V8. I almost had it running within 2 days. She probably needed a new set of points and some new plugs. She spit and sputtered but never really took off. Haven't been back up there since last Thanksgiving when I bought it.

I've been thinking about doing a re-power so it would be powerful/comfortable to drive. Something like a Diesel Engine from a junked newer 1 ton truck. I've also thought about buying a newer school bus (they usually go cheap on eBay or at auctions) and just place the old body on one of those newer chassis with the newer diesel engine, power steering, and air brakes.

I haven't thought the gauges and other inside stuff would be hard to find, but haven't looked.....what else would there be?? Surely they make digital aftermarket gauges that would be universal. I was thinking the interior could use some of the original seats, then the rest could be totally custom with couches and a bar?? We could limo tint the side windows and paint it back original colors with some custom aftermarket exterior parts for the trucks of that bodystyle......if those would fit.

I know there will be a budget, BUT I don't think money will stop us from fixing it up right. :D

(quoted from post at 05:16:45 05/30/17) Should have no problem getting engine, drive train, and suspension parts, all typical of that era truck parts. Or plenty of room under the hood to repower with just about anything you desire.

Not seeing any rust from the pictures, so that is a big plus. Some damaged and missing covers on the side storage should be easy enough to copy and fab from the good ones.

Who was it on here that just bought the wrecked city bus? Possibly have some seats to offer!

I do have the "missing" side covers! I just put them in my truck because they had fallen off track and didn't want to loose them. It will need a new windshield and maybe 1 or 2 panes of glass on the side.

I owned my own transportation company in my younger years. A lot as changed. Depending on state, if it has a sink installed a company like
Progressive will insure it reasonably as a motorhome. Being that he isn't doing anything for hire that's the way to go. For a couple of years I had
an old bus that I kept this way for friend and family outings. It was $300 a year to I sure, but I didn't feel like I used it enough to justify it.

I only had Blue Bird buses - I loved them. That looks more like a Superior body but with the coach windows and lack of rub rails in the right
spots it is hard to tell. There are MANY companies that will have parts you need (maybe TCI). The nice things it that those vehicles had no frills
so there is less to rebuild.

Don't do something crazy like put a cheap 350 in it. It won't last. Pulling that bus around is too hard of a job for a 350. Use the original or a 366
from GM - something with the lower end torque that a bus needs. I imagine that even though it was meant to be a freeway flier in its day it will
be geared much lower than you would like. Consider swapping a rear ending out of an 80's bus or grain truck for it. Then you can roll 70-75 all
day long. I ordered mine with a two speed giving me the capability of 75 miles an hour all day long. I never regretted higher gearing as long as it
had a two speed. I could always split gears with a heavy load.

I still do miss driving bus. I had to give up my commercial class B license to get my farm class A, so I guess my days of driving bus are over.
Just as well - I'd probably end up with an AUTOMATIC. Bleh!

As mentioned, get on the Big Bolt forum at Stovebolt.com. Plenty of expert advice over there on anything from diesel conversions to where to get parts, etc. Also, check out that website in general. Lots of tech tips and other info.

That looks like a cool bus. Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress--on BOTH forums! :D

No help here, but just want to comment on that trailer you're using to haul it with. VERY nice!! Just curious, what's the load capacity?

(quoted from post at 18:35:31 05/30/17) No help here, but just want to comment on that trailer you're using to haul it with. VERY nice!! Just curious, what's the load capacity?

Not sure on the details of that trailer. It is the Uncles. I know he traveled to Maryland to buy it used and then rebuilt the whole thing. It is very nice.

I'm waiting on my registration over at Stovebolt!

A very important ingredient is brake lines. It looks to be in the transition years to split front and rear brakes. Every line must be corrosion free.
The value of stopping is far greater than the value of going. Jim

looks like a mid-1960s to me however, GM did carry over the dog house designs for buses quite awhile after they switched designs for the regular trucks so it might be a bit newer than it looks. The title should say what year it is.

looks like its been sitting so you'll need to go thru everything. I would imagine its a hydro-boost brake system. they work but air is better of course, but not everyone would be able to drive it if Air brakes.

Your idea of putting it on a newer chassis is maybe the simplist. you can get "old" buses pretty cheap. saw a full sized maybe 10 year old diesel freighliner with about 26000 miles that needed nothing go for $2600 at an auction. i should have bought it to resell. anyway would save time and $ buying parts. swapping the body would be a feat itself but doable. at the same time many many medium truck parts are really common and common between brands (GM , FOrd Dodge, IH) did not generally make their own front ends. meritor was/is a big one so you could maybe find newer components to fit on your old chassis too.

(quoted from post at 21:29:53 05/30/17) looks like a mid-1960s to me however, GM did carry over the dog house designs for buses quite awhile after they switched designs for the regular trucks so it might be a bit newer than it looks. The title should say what year it is.

looks like its been sitting so you'll need to go thru everything. I would imagine its a hydro-boost brake system. they work but air is better of course, but not everyone would be able to drive it if Air brakes.

Your idea of putting it on a newer chassis is maybe the simplist. you can get "old" buses pretty cheap. saw a full sized maybe 10 year old diesel freighliner with about 26000 miles that needed nothing go for $2600 at an auction. i should have bought it to resell. anyway would save time and $ buying parts. swapping the body would be a feat itself but doable. at the same time many many medium truck parts are really common and common between brands (GM , FOrd Dodge, IH) did not generally make their own front ends. meritor was/is a big one so you could maybe find newer components to fit on your old chassis too.

Yes Brakes are the first and probably only major component besides tires that it will need before trying to drive it.

There is no title to the bus, only a bill of sale. Alabama didn't require titles until the mid-70s I think.

I can get the old engine running but in reality I think a diesel conversion would be best with maybe an automatic. They do have a motorhome with a diesel engine and air brakes, so I don't see why it couldn't be done and driven by "anyone".

(quoted from post at 21:29:53 05/30/17) looks like a mid-1960s to me however, GM did carry over the dog house designs for buses quite awhile after they switched designs for the regular trucks so it might be a bit newer than it looks. The title should say what year it is.

I think it is a 1965 model just by the looks of it. Where would I find numbers to look up for that kind of info?.........on chassis, body, and engine?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back