Reviving an old HF, TO-83196

I have a massey ferguson and it won't turn over. I've gotten a new battery and just put the VR on and still not starting. I have not polarized the VR yet. Also changed the ignition and the wiring to the VR. It's a mess. Another forum member suggested this forum. I'm not sure of the model but I was told it could be a TO-30 based on the serial number. Not sure of the year. The tractor is a mess with twisted wires and wires hanging in the air.
Here’s an image of a page from wiringharnesses dot com. I have purchased many harnesses from them and they are very good. Tom

Attachments

• FE871E42-27CA-498C-968B-78AB2502D16E.png
    FE871E42-27CA-498C-968B-78AB2502D16E.png
    506.3 KB · Views: 10
Tom, thanks for that, I will make sure Janise sees that....Not sure if she wants to leave well enough alone at this point or to carry on ....Alex

So Janise we need to work on problem shooting the generator when you have time, first thing would be to improve the wire connections and if you have a meter or 12 volt test lite?? to see if you have 12 volts?? I believe one of the early posters on here that has your same model, suggested you have the original 6 volt generator ( I know you feel otherwise ) but that could be your lack of charging issue. Hopefully your tractor is near enough to power outlet that you can charge the battery back up.....I know its a pain, but if you can get it charged up and start the tractor, I would disconnect the - battery cable after you are done for the day until we can sort out your charging problem....If you do have a meter ?? get a reading from the battery now before you charge it this time....

Last edited:
So Janise we need to work on problem shooting the generator when you have time, first thing would be to improve the wire connections and if you have a meter or 12 volt test lite?? to see if you have 12 volts?? I believe one of the early posters on here that has your same model, suggested you have the original 6 volt starter ( I know you feel otherwise ) but that could be your lack of charging issue. Hopefully your tractor is near enough to power outlet that you can charge the battery back up.....I know its a pain, but if you can get it charged up and start the tractor, I would disconnect the - battery cable after you are done for the day until we can sort out your charging problem....If you do have a meter ?? get a reading from the battery now before you charge it this time....
Did you mean 6 volt generator instead of starter? A 6 volt starter will work with 12 volts.

Her problem started with a dead battery a few weeks back. as well as a wiring mess, if you follow the issue from start to now, you will see her progress. Her battery was ok last week and she was able to start the tractor and relocate it. I believe you are referring to my last post when I was talking about the generator.

This tractor left the factory as a 6 volt positive ground, It has been converted to 12 volt negative ground. My concern is does it have a 6 volt generator or a 12 volt generator. Just follow the post from day one and you will see what my concern is....

Yes I know the starter cranks the tractor over to start it, the question is, DOES THE TRACTOR HAVE A 6 VOLT GENERATOR OR A 12 VOLT GENERATOR??

pm ME IF YOU WANT.....Alex

OLD, you are correct, My BAD, I have corrected it....Thanks......

Last edited:
I started the tractor and measured the terminals on the generator. I did not have any voltage. I noticed when I looked at the end of the generator it was all clogged up with dirt! It took me 2~3 hours but I managed to pull the generator off the tractor. When my husband was more lucid, I asked what to do with it and he said soak it in a bucket of gas. I did this only to be told later by him that I needed to take it apart and clean it. Since it is off already I am just going to get a new or rebuilt one. I looked on this site to purchase one but I am not sure what model the generator is. Where do I look on the generator for the model #? IF I need to, I can send a picture of it.

When I tried to spill the fly wheel it would barely budge. Thanks to my handy, dandy #7 knitting needle (I have so often been ridiculed for having in my tool box), I was able to carefully clear enough grime out to enable the wheel to spin. You can see what I got out. I vote I replace it!

Janise, do you have a local car parts store , like Napa , etc or the place you bought the wiring and the terminals you were able to get?? They could maybe tell you if you have a local shop that could rebuilt your generator for you. Hang tight for a few days if you can and see if the USA boys can offer you a part number if you do decide to buy another one. The best description I can offer is a " 12 volt generator to fit a Harry Ferguson TO-30.

Janise, do you have a local car parts store , like Napa , etc or the place you bought the wiring and the terminals you were able to get?? They could maybe tell you if you have a local shop that could rebuilt your generator for you. Hang tight for a few days if you can and see if the USA boys can offer you a part number if you do decide to buy another one. The best description I can offer is a " 12 volt generator to fit a Harry Ferguson TO-30.
55-57 chevy generator should be about the same. Might want to get a matching regulator. The other option is if there is a good auto electric shop near by take the generator and voltage regulator to them and get an estimate to rebuild yours. They should be able make sure the regulator matches the generator, may be even test the two together if they rebuild the generator.

There is a machine shop that rebuilds generators in town. I can't imagine how they will get all that dirt out.

ok, that's great that you found a local shop......did they comment on the voltage regulater , they could probably test it as well while you are at so you know both items are working??

Not trying to make more work for you but if you could call them and ask if they could also test it, before you go to the trouble of removing it, then you would know if both are compactible and also if either need polarizing , it would save you the trouble?? maybe....

Not trying to make more work for you but if you could call them and ask if they could also test it, before you go to the trouble of removing it, then you would know if both are compactible and also if either need polarizing , it would save you the trouble?? maybe....
Just a technical point. The generator gets polarized to the ground of the vehicle as they will and generate the polarity polarized to. Even if the generator polarizing is described as being done at the regulator terminals, a regulator does not get polarized. Some regulators used to be specified for the system ground they were built to use with, I don't know if that is still true or not it has been many years since I have purchased a generator regulator. If the shop is told the ground of the vehicle the generator is going on they should polarize it to that ground during testing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back