top post to side post adapter?

Geo-TH,In

cvphoto116559.png

I need a new battery for my truck.
I only want to buy a sealed AGM maintenance battery.
For $50, My go to battery store RK, has the battery I want but it's top post only. 5 year warranty.

They have side post batteries, but the old school wet cell battery.

So off to Menards. Delco 3 year warranty, 2x the money and they are on sale.

Not sure what's going on. I'm guessing top post batteries are returning and side posts are going out of fashion.

I need a top post to side post adapter. Only problem, I need a longer adapter. The top post on RK batteries are in the center of the top, not offset to one side.

1? What is the bolt on the adapter coated with?

2? What material is least likely to oxidize when in contact with the lead adapter?

I've seen some adapters sold online made from brass.

Roy, Thanks,
There are other adapters available. I don't want to cut any wires or make my own adapter. I just need information I asked for. What are the best bolts??

Try A Deka AGM battery, made by East Penn manufacturing. They have a 5 year warranty 3 year replacement. Batteries at Napa are also made by East Penn and Autozone Duralast also. I buy mine at Napa. They will have the direct replacement for you.

GM was the only manufacturer to ever put side post batteries in their vehicles.

GM doesn't use side post batteries in their new vehicles anymore, and haven't in several years.

It is the side post that is going out of style.

Folks complain about side post batteries, but I have NEVER had one corrode or have any sort of connection problem. Top post on the other hand, I've had plenty of experience with corroded connections on them...

I don't think GM has used side terminal batteries for some time now. Put a dab of anti-seize compound on the threaded connections and contact points and you should have no problems.

Lead is about midway up the <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series>galvanic series</a>; any material an adapter is made of is unlikely to react with it. I would go with brass or bronze.

(quoted from post at 06:46:39 02/03/22) Roy, Thanks,
There are other adapters available. I don't want to cut any wires or make my own adapter. I just need information I asked for. What are the best bolts??
Ordinary bolt works fine for me. My 81 GMC had some type of adapted end on the + cable when I bought it years ago. Original bolt was one of those tiny little quarter inch heads with a 3/8 thread but it had been replaced with a normal 3/8 bolt. I have not had any problems with it corroding over the years.

You need to look elsewhere for your battery. I needed a battery for my tractor where the posts had to be reversed so the cables could reach properly. I went to Autozone. and we looked thru their selection until we found what I needed. Adding extra adapters is mickey mouse and un-necessary and adds places for corrsion to hide. I like side post batteries. and I would buy the correct one,even if it is not an AGM type. You may just have to hunt a little harder, and maybe pay more. Mark.

I have used what you pictured before. I replaced the bolt with a 316ss bolt and sprayed it all with that red stuff.

But where I used those adapters there was plenty of room. You need to be careful that the hood or something else is not too close to those vs the side mount battery.

Attaching the side mount cables..... There is tight and then there is too tight and you strip the lead threads.

You might look at using this style to get from center of battery.

cvphoto116582.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:40:07 02/03/22)
Ordinary bolt works fine for me. My 81 GMC had some type of adapted end on the + cable when I bought it years ago. Original bolt was one of those tiny little quarter inch heads with a 3/8 thread but it had been replaced with a normal 3/8 bolt. I have not had any problems with it corroding over the years.

On my '94 Chev pickup, the last time my mechanic replaced the battery he used a regular bolt about an inch longer than needed, with a nut on it. He tightened the bolt till it bottomed out, then tightened the nut against the cable to hold it tight. This left the rest of the bolt sticking out as a place to hook a jumper cable to if needed. Works great!

Dodge / Chrysler used side terminal batteries in the early 2000s in some cars. Chrysler Sebring was one, Dodge Cirrus was another. there
were others during that time period. Battery was down in the front fender in front of the tire as well. Neighbor has one I helped her with a
couple months ago. Have to take the tire off and plastic inner fender out to replace the battery.

Not sure anyone uses them much anymore in the auto industry.

Gm hasn't used side terminal batts. for years. They were famous for the threaded lugs coming loose and or leaking acid on the ground wires on the frame.

(quoted from post at 11:07:03 02/03/22) Gm hasn't used side terminal batts. for years. They were famous for the threaded lugs coming loose and or leaking acid on the ground wires on the frame.
My 97 Blazer and 81 GMC both have side posts. Never had any problems with them leaking or coming loose. Battery tray in both trucks is clean and rust-free. Many of the batteries I buy are dual post having both options which makes them handy to switch from one vehicle to another.

that whole side bolt idea should have been shoved up somebodys till it hurt then shoved some more.All they did was strip the threads in the battery. Never saw such junk. The best set up is those 31's with the 3/8ths stud on top. No fooling around cleaning cables and no leakage easy to get on and off. Best thing since sliced bread. I would not go back to lead posts or that junk side deal.

Strip the threads? Never had a problem with that. They'll take every bit of torque a normal human being can muster with a common 5/16" combination wrench. What are you using? A 6' cheater pipe?

(quoted from post at 06:29:36 02/04/22) Strip the threads? Never had a problem with that. They'll take every bit of torque a normal human being can muster with a common 5/16" combination wrench. What are you using? A 6' cheater pipe?

Most of the issues are with the bolt put a worn/damaged bolt in and you wipe out the treads... Some replacement bolts are also an issue.

I have some very expensive brass bolts/lugs for this the issue with them is they are a one time use.

I once heli-coil one I thought that's the ticket till it came back burned out... : (

Of all the battery's a side mount gives the least issues with corrosion I will admit they can be a Pain. How many have a special tool/brush to clean them I have one its worn out. If you have one corroded cut the plastic insulator cover off the end and pitch it get a roll lock disc and buff away.

The positive end is the most problematic for corrosion add in the ones they double stacked and the issue is multiplied.

I thought every one had a Snap-on wrench made for them...

This will strip it

https://www.toolsource.com/terminal...e-terminal-battery-wrench-516-in-p-91568.html

I'm disappointed, George. You have repeatedly told the forum that you are cheap.

Yet, you drive a Cadillac,
Buy only Michelin tires (the most expensive),
And insist on the most expensive battery out there.

That isn't cheap. Last I checked, all of those items are not cheap! ;-) <lol>

(quoted from post at 17:14:11 02/03/22) that whole side bolt idea should have been shoved up somebodys till it hurt then shoved some more.All they did was strip the threads in the battery. Never saw such junk. .
I've had side post batteries since 1986 in GM trucks and never seen one strip threads yet. And yes, those threaded top post Group 31s are also a great design.

My 89 3500 has both top post and side terminal on the same battery, no problems ever with them, it used to have 2 batteries in it,
with a battery isolater,

They make AGM batteries in side post, why not just buy the battery that fits? Adapters are just another spot for corrosion and bad connections to start.

I'm not a believer in AGM, except spiral cell Optima batteries. Flat plate AGM batteries don't seem to last. A lot of new cars are coming with flat plate AGM, and in my experience, they fail in about 3 to 4 years, where in my area, a lead acid lasts 5-7 years.

I had a 97 GMC Jimmy that developed a bunch of ABS and traction control trouble codes. Turned out that acid leaked out of
one of the side terminals dripping on the ground wires on the frame under the battery.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back