wheel bearing questions...

Dave H (MI)

cvphoto96223.jpg

Today I plowed 10 acres around the barn for a new hayfield. I use a Glencoe chisel plow. When I finished, one of the wheels had a serious wobble and I found the bearing had gone all to pieces. Since I only replace a wheel bearing about every 15 years or so, I hardly can claim to be an expert and this one is so broken I really don't know what is what. I could disassemble the other side but...if I can avoid it...

So in the picture, left to right, I have the crown nut that held it all in followed by one half of the bearing race. Next two items (do not know what these do, but I think they hold the bearing in place) are the same but one is slightly larger and is broken. #5 came out of #2 and I know what it is. #6 I haven't a clue what that is and #7 I believe is all that remains of the mating part for #2 but there is so little left...who knows? So I need some help with 3 & 4 & 6 and, if anyone knows, some idea of assembly order. Searching for my books to see if they are any help. Input appreciated!!!

Like they say about Humpty Dumpty, All the King's horses
And all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
And you aren't puting that back togeather either so forget that pile and wait til you have the new bearing before figuring out how it go's in hub.

Wheel bearings on Ag equipment are the MOST neglected and forgot about . From the factory they hardly have any grease applied and GREASE does not last forever . My one buddy makes me so mad over this . So with each wheel bearing failure i drill tap and install a grease zerk . when i install the new bearing i hand pac each bearing the old fashioned way and the hub center is packed full of a good stringy tacky grease . But with the grease fitting installed you then can give the bearings a fresh shot of grease when you happen to think of it . I just did his one John Deere running gear a couple months ago , and now it is getting on time to take a look at the three silage wagons before it is time to start corn choppen . I really hate listening to him whine and cry when a wagon goes down .

Here is a diagram of a typical ag machinery hub. Nut and washer would be against number 6 which is a tapered roller bearing cone assembly. I am just guessing the two large circular items to the right are part of a primary dust shield that helps protect actual seal you show second to the left. Which should all fit somewhere in the hub and spilndle opposite of the nut and cap side.
Example assembly

Why would u not take the other side apart ? It is due for a brg. Repack before it goes out also.

So when you drill and tap for a zerk, You would have to pump the cavity full of grease. How do you know when grease reached the inner bearing with out blowing the seal out? And what kind of bearing grease comes in a grease gun tube?

Do you know your model number? The Glencoe parts books are on the AGCO on line parts books site, so you can see how the parts go together and get the part numbers for bearings and seals. Often those can be cross referenced to what your local sources stock.

And I would agree it might be time to check and repack the other wheel(s).

We drill them also and install a fitting. As for the grease all the bearings on your equipment runs in gun grease and so will wheel bearings. They are not different bearings than any of the others.
Dave I believe 2and 6 are part of each other. 3and 4 are the inside race holding the rollers. All you really need is the number off the edge of the pieces and then take them to where you want to get the bearings. The seal may even be able to have the number found on the bigger piece if looked at. The Race or Cup as it is called these days goes in the backside of the hub then the cone or inside race with the rollers then the seal on the outside. The smaller one goes on the nut side with the race in the hub first then cone then washer if needed then nut and adjust. Packing the bearings is a goof idea like you would pack a car wheel bearing. I then grease the hub some with the gun to help with filling the hub up. Then if greased each time you grease the unit a couple of squirts it will last till the seal is shot. I usually put some 80/90in the hub as I put the hub on the spindle to help keep the grease soft and not dry out in there.

You can buy wheel bearing grease at Napa and I would guess other parts stores. Leave the dust cap off of the outside and watch for grease to come thru the outer bearing and then stop and put dust cap back on. I would always take the dust cup off and fill with oil and install before harvest started on my wagons and before using other wheel that set a lot.

If it were me I would change out the bearings on both sides and keep the one good bearing set for a spare. Anyway by breaking down the other side you would then see how it's suppose to be configured. There may have been something completely destroyed you are missing.

I agree or at least pull the other side apart to check the bearings and repack it with grease ifthey are still good .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back