Work doesn't stop for a broken wrist

rockyridgefarm

Wish I had a townie job.

Broke my wrist two Fridays ago by being thrown from an ATV while chasing cows that were out in my corn. It really set me off when one of my red angus walked outta my corn field holding an ear of corn in her mouth like a dog holding a bone. That was the third time she had been out THAT DAY! I ran her down, and as I caught her I lost control and the ATV went right while I flew left. I jumped back up, chased down the ATV, and kept up the chase. About ten minutes later, I realized it really hurt to push the throttle. Long story slightly shorter, X-rays showed I broke my Radius bone. Now I have a splint wrapped with Ace bandages. Doc wanted a hard cast, but I want to be able to remove it to shower. He didn't think I could re-injure it with a splint if I was careful.

Now I can't pick eggs. I need to rely on my wonderful wife to get up early and pick eggs until she has to go to her townie job. Then I have to hire some Mennonite kids to pick eggs late morning. Then my kids take over after they get off the bus. Wife grinds feed and moves it with a 60 I can't drive due to the hand clutch. I can't even drive my 6spd manual pickup, so I need to drive hers.

And it gets worse! My mobile seed cleaning business has been pretty quiet for a week, but now I'm getting calls all over. I was in De Soto on Thursday, Ferryville on Friday, and Viroqua and Boscobel on Saturday. I got 1400bu to do in Reedsburg, 1000 bu more to do for the guy in De Soto, and maybe 1000 bu to do in Viroqua again! All with my wife's pickup - sure hope I don't scratch it!

Love having the work, but this wrist is fricking KILLING me! That and since I'm in a sling, I walk different than usual, so my knees hurt too...

But I don't really want a townie job. I just want my wrist to get better (typing with left hand).
3928.jpg

I'm just across the river from you, in Caledonia. On May 2nd, 2010, I took a fall and broke my right wrist also. Shoved part of the bone through the
joint. Lucky for me, my dad could still do most of the farming tasks back then. Went to Gundersen and they did surgery and I now have a plate in my
arm. Was real fun one day, a week after surgery, when I wanted to haul manure and realized the 370 bu manure spreader wasn't hooked up and nobody else
around. I got it done, with a few choice words. Oh, by the way I'm also missing half the middle finger on my left hand. lol

Just got out of sling from shoulder surgery. So understand the one arm problem. DO NOT push that
wrist to much or you may be in surgery and lot longer doing everything one armed.

Lots of fun,I had to gear up a rope around my neck
to one handed use a wheel barrow one time I broke
my hand got a hernia operation at lunch time and
was back in the barn milking by 5,put my back out
today hoping I'll be able to get out of bed and walk I
the morning. Working for yourself and being
depended on by animals sucks when your sick or
hurt.

At least it was only a rist!

My farming, wheelin dealin, fishin,
hunting, tractoring buddy was riding
with someone on a ATV Wednesday when
the steering got goofed up and the ATV
flipped and crushed his jaw pretty bad.

So work stopped for him whether he
likes it or not, but he can't say much
about it since he's wired shut...

And I get twice the work I had before,
lol

A buddy had a broken wrist for a year & didn't know it. Only knew that it was sometimes painful & he could no longer throw a baseball 100 yds. Finally Xray showed broken & had the cast but never threw ball that far again. Get the cast or possibly pay for not getting it the rest of your life.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, but all too often I see guys going "Roscoe P. Coltrane, HOT PURSUIT" with their ATVs the moment they see a cow outside the fence. Usually that just spooks the cow and sends her running off the absolute wrong way, where they follow with the ATV, and get hurt.

I mean jeez, she was just standing there... Sometimes a calmer approach can avoid a long drawn out high speed chase and hospital bills... Just sayin'.

That sucks, hope for a speedy healing.

My brother was just in an auto accident up on 18 by Mount Hope and broke both wrist, the guy can't even feed himself! I picked on him some asking if he wants me to
install a Bidet for him. LOL

(quoted from post at 04:50:51 09/26/17) Hindsight being 20/20 and all, but all too often I see guys going "Roscoe P. Coltrane, HOT PURSUIT" with their ATVs the moment they see a cow outside the fence. Usually that just spooks the cow and sends her running off the absolute wrong way, where they follow with the ATV, and get hurt.

I mean jeez, she was just standing there... Sometimes a calmer approach can avoid a long drawn out high speed chase and hospital bills... Just sayin'.

Yeah, anger is a powerful driver that typically only gets a person in trouble. I have had dozens of "if only" thoughts every day since. No hospital bills though. My wife's work has pretty good insurance.

I've been there... broke both elbows, had radial head replacement surgery on one. Wasn't flexible enough to wipe for a while, good to have a good wife!

Seriously, after a day or two on the pain pills, you didn't need to worry about wiping. There wasn't anything to wipe...

Must be two weeks now since the wagon tongue fell on the top of my foot.By the
time I finish morning chores , the pain is nicely freshened up , and it throbs
like new for a few hours. life goes on , work needs to be done.

Surprised your doctor didn't put on a removable hard cast on it. A friends son has one and is allowed to take it off to wash up and can
take it off for a few hours if it starts to itch.

be thankful you did not break your neck. atv in chase always seem to win!!! cattle always walk
back out in evening normally anyway, cattle here all gone thou now. how you chase cattle with atv
in corn anyway. fellow in my neck woods doing same silly thing you were doing, he was laid to rest
last week, better not complain to much looks to me like.

My wife said nice and loud to go to the doctor, daughter was massaging my feet and I said careful of my big toe on my right foot, my wife heard and asked how long has it been hurting. I said around 8 months now. She said why didn't you go right away? I said I figured it was just bruised and the pain would go away, hasn't happened yet, just put most weight on the side of my little toe and go, work can't wait!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back