What Did You Do With Your Green Tractor Today?

Planning to use the 77 and 4240 plow at our club’s plow day in April. Tractor had one set of wheels weights on the inside of the rim. No fluid in tires. Picked up a couple more sets of weights last fall. Got one set cleaned up when we had some warm weather a few weeks ago and could work on them outside. Painted them up and got them mounted yesterday.View attachment 7233

Charts show (just) water in those tires would add just under 400 lbs per tire. At 140 lbs. per weight, I should probably go ahead and get the other set on there to be comparable.

Does anyone have any experiences to share about weighting a 77 to pull a 2x14” plow? (Silt loam soil)
Here we go again. Skipped sandblasting on these weights. Started with liquid formulation of Rustoleum Rust Reformer after surface prep.
IMG_0566.jpeg

John, can you prime/paint directly onto that surface, or are there additional steps?
On the first set there was some white residue so I rubbed it down with Scotchbrite, used one coat CIH red oxide primer ( that I had on hand), then one coat Tallman’s gray primer before finish coats of Tallman’s.

With the second set, I didn’t have much of the white residue show up so I skipped the Scotchbrite. Maybe I did the wrong thing but I passed on the red oxide primer and I put on a coat of gray primer. Saw some brown discoloration on the paint brush as I was applying the primer so I think I should have done something to wipe/clean the surface off first. Plan to put on a second coat of primer before finish coats.

If you haven’t seen this thread you might want to take a look.

The instructions on the product I used say to apply a primer before putting on a water based paint but with an oil based paint, you can go directly over the rust reformer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back