bmiller36

I have a 49 AR that has sat in my shop for about 4 years, was working on the sheet metal. Yesterday I decided to get it started, it hadnt run in probably 6 years but after cleaning the carb and mag it started fine and i drove it out of the shop and into the shed. Thats when I noticed it didnt have any oil pressure it had already run for about three minutes I shut it off and installed a new gauge restarted and still no pressure. Could the pump key be sheared? Never had this happen before any help will be apprecated Thanks Bob

Sorry for sounding crazy but you do have oil in it- right? It would be like me to drain it a while back and forget it didn't have any later.

I'm assuming a JD, which is what I'm basing my suggestion on. Sometimes they lose prime if they have been empty for a while. You can either overfill it some and see if it takes or put a bit of grease in the pump. My guess is a worn pump so can't pickup the oil as easily as a rebuilt one.

(quoted from post at 11:11:04 06/26/22) I'm assuming a JD, which is what I'm basing my suggestion on. Sometimes they lose prime if they have been empty for a while. You can either overfill it some and see if it takes or put a bit of grease in the pump. My guess is a worn pump so can't pickup the oil as easily as a rebuilt one.

Wouldn't the pump already be completely submerged in oil?

I would sure check for a broken coupling BEFORE starting it again!

Pump coupling is broken.
It is right under the governor.
Take the crankcase cover off and you will see it is missing.
It is just a small square tube on the shaft going down to the pump.
Don't run it anymore til you check it out.

But wouldn't that have been the case when he brought it in to the shop? Just sitting for 6 years doesn't make things break.

Gear type pump and if it sat a long time good chance condensation got in it so the water sat in the gears instead of oil and they rusted tight so the pump coupler broke

Sitting 6 years and sludge settled down in the bottom where the pump sits puts a strain on it when first cranking.
It is easy to check and would be the first thing I would check.
I had an AR that did just that.

yes the pump coupling is broken. I have a good number of two cylinders and have never had this happen! So my next foolish newbie question is how to go about fixing it. I really appreciate your help, Bob

What Patsdeere is referring to is for the very early models with the oil pump up behind the flywheel. My 35 A made April 5 of 35 has the pump behind the flywheel, Old's B has the pump in the belly so the change must have been sometime in 1935.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back