66 MF40 Revival

The fuel exiting the injection lines from the pump must be free of air to test the injectors as you are. The system relies on the fact that there is solid fuel in the line so that the pressure can be raised high enough to activate the injectors “poppet valve” to release fuel to the spray tip. Air compresses, liquid will not. Your test also relies on the injection pump to be working correctly. More lacking info “I replaced the injection pump” the pump shown in your photo does not look like it was rebuilt or new. Where did it come from, fell out of the sky?

Yes, it is a possibility that air is in the fuel line, I didn't verify that they were bled.

The pump was new from eBay. I put it on about a year and a 1/2 ago and then I didn't work on the tractor until now. It was outside in the elements all this time, and so it started corroding already.

I'm considering to dissemble the injectors and soak them in acetone. Is there any material inside them that the acetone can damage? Or is it only metal inside? It is possible that they are clogged with something like tar, because somebody put something in the fuel system and it turned all the fuel to a tar like substance. If I could share a video then I would show you what I mean.

So you didn’t “test the injectors” you “attempted to test the injectors” I suppose we could just rely on the fact that you did not give any report on the outcome of your test. To me when you say “this is how I tested the injectors” and move on this gives me the impression they squirted fuel in a reasonable pattern or in other words they would probably run the engine. If you don’t mind me asking how old are you? I just like to help out younger folks with there written communication skills, hopefully pointing out a few things that they can remember later and utilize it. I like to remind new posters here that we are only able to see what you write and what the photos show. You are the only one there looking at it and seeing and experiencing the issues facing you. You did a fair job of explaining you situation and problems that is good. :) The world of texting making everything as short as possible and abbreviated wording is causing a lot of limitations on written communication. Soap box now put away.
I agree about the internal regulator alternator being better, but first you need to get it to run.

Great points and well said.

The answer to your question is YES. The engine in your tractor will start and run with only the starter wired. I would go through the fuel system and get all the air bled out to get the engine running. If it runs well then tackle the rest of the electrical system. And be careful with the starting fluid as too much can damage the engine. Bleed the air out at the fuel filter then, open the bleed screw on the side of the pump and spin the engine over. You should have a good stream as the engine spins. Close the bleed screw and at the injectors loosen the fuel line at all 3. Just loosen the lines . There is no need to remove the line from the injector. With all three loose spin the engine over while observing the open fuel lines. If all is well you should see fuel at all 3 connections. Now retighten all 3 fuel lines at the injectors. If you have a good strong battery that spins the engine fast your tractor should now start and run.
Thank you for this explanation about bleeding the fuel injectors.

I tested the injectors again, and again theywere not spaying. I had 1 new 1 with me. So I put it in place of one of them, bled it, and it sprayed fuel well. So I know that the old fuel injectors are clogged, which is why the engine is not running...

Now to the Electrical system...

Thank you for the help everyone!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back