Farmal Super c? Sitting for 20 years at least steps to

Sitting outside in weather for 20 years?
Exhaust cap removed?

Just going by this, I would say engine is
locked up about as tight as it could
possibly get. Wouldn't have to be (stranger
things have happened). But let's just say
that it is above the more than likely odds.

What does this mean? Well, ... it means
that it will be quite an undertaking to
make this thing run again. If you got the
time and money and just want to learn, then
you might want to take on the project. But
I might just warn you that a locked up
engine is a job and considerable task for
even somebody who is experienced and has
the know how. It can possibly be a project
for a newbie that is really determined and
motivated, but let's just say that it
really isn't otherwise a good beginner
project. Just so you know going into this
deal, if you so choose. When it comes to a
locked engine situation, the quick fix idea
gets thrown out the window, and the project
really becomes an 'I have a dream' project.

I'm not trying to discourage you, or
telling you to not take on the project.
Just kind of letting you know what your in
for if you do.

A 12 volt conversion is definately not the
first thing you should be thinking.

For what it's worth, I took on a froze
engine project when I was a freshman in
high school and didn't know a whole lot
mechanically. So I do know what your about
to jump into. Just so you know that these
words are coming from a guy who has 'been
there, and done that'.

Personally Id rather receive correct advise in a blunt manner than BS given politely, but that's me. One thing I have had to learn in 25 years on Ytmag is my definition of fixed surely isn't the sane as some others fixed as evidenced by the banter in this thread between Rustred and Gpalove. I have an impolite politically incorrect term for that kind of fixed. Epecially when I am on tbe receiving end of it with a purchase!!

Is it yours or one you are looking at buying? If you are looking at buying I'd just walk away from it and not bother.

If you already own it the first step is to see if the engine is froze. Try turning it over by hand with the crank or put it in high gear and let it roll. Until you know if its frozen going beyond that
is a waste of time.

I've seen some pretty rusted up tractor motors brought back to life and run good.I had a 262 Gleaner motor that was real bad on 2 cylinders,cleaned them up and put the motor in a Cockshutt 40 pulling tractor,ran great and almost no smoke.Grandpa Love got his tractor running good so there is your proof.

U guys are totally missing the point. Its not 2 years with open exhaust pipe, its 20 years. The cylinders are rain guages, and once so much water gets in there and it freezes. It splits the block and sleeves. I have seen it on a few I have here , I can post the pictures also. Dont worry I have done a lot like that also. My W12 is one of them. The head was even split open. So take it for what its worth, dong have to believe me. But I have my own proof s as I have lots of experience around a lot of engines. When I am doing the job at least I know its done right. And mine are not just for fun to make sure it will run, as I think I even posted sure his will run, put it to work and it will not hold the oil in the pan where it belongs. I think we need something called a stupid post. What the stupidest things u have done , huh, maybe ?

and from what i remember about your cylinder picture the mechanic's told u to replace the sleeves. u ignored all advise just so u could say it runs. you have no idea whats going on inside an engine. and also make sure you show them pictures to who ever u might sell it to. that would be the most honest thing. unless the buyer has no clue what he is buying. what you have shown us nothing to brag about as mechanic's here are laughing at a tractor guru just from posts advertizing his not so mechanical skills. prove me wrong and give me some engine advise here . you could not get the sleeves out or measure them either , just a hone job and i dont think it was honed either. then u showed all the pitting and put it together. so why are u advertizing that ? humm . just because the thing is making noise and pistons going up and down means its good? and you will never see it smoke but it sure will pump the oil out. so dont be saying i am proved wrong, as it would take a mechanic with one heck of a lot more experience that you jumping in with your fun idea's. now have a fun day.

I'd give it a shot. Might be stuck beyond
repair, maybe not. Remove the spark plugs
and squirt in some penetrant. I like
diesel and marvel mystery oil mixed.
Diesel and atf is good too. Everyone has
their own favorite. I like to mix my own
and out it in a pump style oiling can or
plastic squirt bottle so you can spray it
into the cylinders. With the spark plugs
out, try turning the engine. I like to
turn it backward at first just to see if
it will move. If it will move, don't turn
it much, just enough to know it moves.
Then I'd remove the valve cover and soak
the valve train with the penetrant. Tap
each valve and make sure they all move
without sticking. Once the engine moves
and the valves aren't stuck, try turning
the engine in the correct direction and
see what happens. That's where I would
start, just to see if there is any hope of
anything happening without investing a
huge amount of time or money. If the
engine won't turn, let it sit for a week
or two or three with the penetrant in the
cylinders and try to turn it occasionally.
Just thread the spark plugs in while it is
sitting and remove them before trying to
turn the engine. And get the exhaust pipe
and oil filter housings covered. It may
never run again either. I have a case LA
tractor that had everything covered but
was stuck solid when I went to get it
running. Pounded on the pistons with a
hammer and block of wood, even tried
pulling the sleeves. Nothing would budge.
Sometimes they're just too far gone. Then
again you could pull the head and find
that yours isn't rusted all that bad. This
was just how I'dstart to determine if I
would spend any time or money on it. You
won't know until you try.

why, u guys are posting b. s. about an engine sitting wide open for 20 years!!! i can tell u all have no experience at all. just lots of typing experience. ya really . more to it than back yard fixerupppers .

All this talk about the motor. How about the rest of the tractor? If it's been out in the weather that long then just about everything is fused together with rust and will fight you every step of the way. Pedals, linkages, wheel nuts, you name it. If the transmission has been taking a rainwater bath all these years then it's pretty much a boat anchor. An experienced mechanic will know when to break out the big hammer or just use the little one. In any case, most everything is ready to break no matter how you approach it.

I appreciate the appeal of taking on such a project, but if it's a working tractor you need I'd pass on this one. Can you post a photo? I enjoy looking at rusty old things--especially if they belong to someone else.

Gerrit

sure is funny how not one person said to pull the head off first thing ? that tells me a lot also. then take pictures of the inside then post and we will see who is talking through their hat. unless u live where it never rains? even so it still would be full of junk.

No big deal to give it a try. If it doesn't work, who cares? Not out anything but a little time. If it breaks loose and he gets it running but it burns oil, who cares? Might just be something for a retiree to pass some time with. Now, on the other hand, if he has to stick 4 times what the tractor is worth to get it running, that's just throwing good money after bad. I would never recommend doing that. But if someone wants to spend some time just for kicks, I won't begrudge him for that.

When I was in high school I got an old Arctic Cat with a Sachs rotary that was stuck solid. I tore it down, cleaned up what I could, replaced some unusable parts. Had more apex seals and tip seals that should have been replaced, but parts and money were scarce. I put it back together with the best of what was left. And it ran when I was done. As you said, It was for fun. And it occupied some idle time that could have been spent in less constructive ways. When I build an engine for a customer and have to stand behind my work, it's going to be as close to perfect as possible. The last v6 I built had a $17,000 bill so it had better be done right. But I also stuck an old 283 together for myself that should have been bored because it had about a 1/16 inch ridge. I threw in some new rings and bearings back in about 1998. I haven't driven it in about 10 years but it was running just fine when I quit driving the pickup. Not every situation calls for perfection!

Many times I've seen people jump in and do a lot of work that would not have been needed if a little common sense and patience had been used.Have lost count of the number of Left for Dead tractors I have gotten up and running many with surprisingly little expense and work.Will never know if you don't try.

Buyer saw pictures, and video, he drove 300 miles one way to buy it. He was an older gentleman who knew exactly what he was buying and was happy with what he bought. Also was pleased to be buying a tractor that was left for dead and someone saved it.

You are right each one has to be taken case by case.I bought a 185 Allis Chalmers diesel that had been sitting in a field for at least 3 years,nothing over the exhaust.Figured it be a good parts tractor.Got it home put a strong jump box on it to see if by some way it'd turn over,much to my surprised it fired right up.Evidently somehow the water going down the muffler was channeling out without going into the motor.Never know,got a cheap working tractor.

You speak the truth! Start with the basics. The most basic of those is will it turn. If not, what will it take to make it turn? After it will turn, ask if it will fire. If not, what will it take to make it fire? And on down the line. Of course the overall condition of the tractor has to be taken into consideration before doing much of anything. That's where the common sense comes in!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back