Farmall 656

Anonymous-0

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1965 Farmall 656 diesel. I picked it up from a farmer who parked it over 15 years ago because it lost power and wouldn't start again. He parked it in the barn and bought a new tractor. When I got it home I decided to see if it will start and what problems I could find. I emptied 7 gallons of old fuel, changed the fuel filters, and got fresh fuel to the pump. To my amazement after bleeding 3 injectors it fired and ran great. I ran it a few more times and it starts greats and runs great with no hiccups. I put some seafoam in the oil on a last Monday,checked to oil to make sure it wasn't over full Ran it for 30 seconds to move it out of the way and it sat there until the last Friday.

On last Friday I started it up and drove it to the water hose to fill the radiator back up with water as I saw the core plug was rusted and leaking water previously. I let it idle while filling. After the radiator was filled I drove for a spin around my property to get it to operating temp and shut it off. I checked the dipstick again and there wasn't any oil on it. I drained the pan and there was only a cup or so of oil. I opened the radiator cap and it was filled with oil.

I drained the cooling system and all the oil in the pan was now in the cooling system. I got maybe 1/4 cup if that of water out of the pan. I pulled the head off and did find some brittle rubber seals on the head gasket that raised some concern, but nothing obvious like I usually see on these 6 cylinder gas and diesels. I also pulled the oil cooler off on the side of the block and it pressure tested fine.

I think that the seafoam broke up some crude that was sealing the pressurized oil passage. Since the core plug was leaking the cooling system was at minimal pressure and all the oil got pumped into the water system since it was a greater pressure via a leaking head gasket.

I apologize for the long post but wanted to be detailed. I'm going to send the head to be pressure checked tomorrow. I checked the block and head with a straight edge and there is less that 1 thousandth variance. I've had water in the oil, water in the cylinder, gasket blown between cylinder, but never a situation like this. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I reassemble.

If it has a oil to water heat exchanger there is a good chance that it has an internal leak. this pumps oil into the water. If equipped, check it for sure. Putting pressure on the oil side will blow air out the water side! Jim

Janicholson,

It is equipped with that and it held 60 psi. I checked the oil and water side both.

Thanks,
Dustin

The probability is about 99.9% that the problem is the engine oil cooler.

Clean all the oil out of the engine oil cooler. Pressurize the oil side to at least 60 psi, 90 is probably better. Run hot water through the coolant side of the cooler until it is as hot as you can get it. With it full of water and the coolant inlet and outlet tubes facing up, watch the bubbles come out. A lot of times they will not leak unless up to operating temperature.

(quoted from post at 13:32:50 05/20/14) The probability is about 99.9% that the problem is the engine oil cooler.

Clean all the oil out of the engine oil cooler. Pressurize the oil side to at least 60 psi, 90 is probably better. Run hot water through the coolant side of the cooler until it is as hot as you can get it. With it full of water and the coolant inlet and outlet tubes facing up, watch the bubbles come out. A lot of times they will not leak unless up to operating temperature.

That's what I was thinking. Heat changes things.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back