Gehl CR50 hammermill

I just bought this thing and it has one screen with 1/2 holes. Want to grind hay for my old toothless horse. I have read to use
a 1.5 inch screen for hay. I have also read some guys simply remove the screen entirely for hay. Does anyone have experience
with grinding hay? Where might I find a screen with larger holes? My screen measures 10 inches wide and is 36 inches around the
outside of the arch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Going without the screen should work just fine. You should try it & see if it's too your liking. I've heard from a couple old horse owners that they don't want it too fine, due to dust. Other people don't care as they soak it.

Just my $0.02.

Mike

We used to grind hay with the same screen as for corn and oats. So it was as fine as the ground feed. I would be leery of trying no screen might plug the auger underneath taking the hay away from the mill.

It will be as fine a grind either with or without a screen. Years ago we would grind hay to mix in the hog feed. Was way better than the alfalfa meal you could by at the local feed mill. I was 30 mile from the alfalfa meal plant and I saw all the junk-weeds they were harvesting to make the alfalfa meal out of. Was so expensive we bought an old belt powered David Bradley hammer mill and ground our own. With a screen it was so fine it was just dust. Decided to try it without a screen and it might be too fine yet for what you are needing. Powered it with a John Deere B. I don't know if running at say 2/3 throttle might not make it as even without the screen it was almost too fine for what you are needing.

I finally got my new hitch and new PTO shaft installed. I removed the screen and chopped grass hay today. It did not get the hay short enough for my horse. I believe the knives simply swept it through and it fell to the lower auger without chopping much. The only screen I have has 1/2 holes. I was skeptical as to whether it would chop the grass hay or simply plug up the screen. But I installed the screen and it chopped it just fine! Now that I know it is going to work, I am going to try to get a screen with bigger holes. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back