how much power can a 8n take

Anonymous-0

so i have this wild idea of building a 8n with a flat head v8, done my research and think 175 hp is a very respectable number to get with some power upgrades, figured i can make some 16.9-34 to fit it and pull im 4500 open....will the tractor rearend hold up?

puller......I personally think a full-dress 110hp
flattie is eye-candy. Marvin Bauman (sp?) has installed smallblock Chevy's; SB Ford's; Plymouth-V8; and amazingly enuff a TURBO-JET engine. Ray Flavero (sp?) has installed a 12-cyl LINCOLN flatty. Rummor that Fords 1-1/2T TRUCK supplied the N-diffy. dunno

You want more power??? SUPERCHARGE it with a Chevy 454 smog-pump. Seriouly. Do a google search for "Dirt Cheap Supercharger" by Steven Richmond. Use an NAA carb so the mouth faces the smogpump output. Brackets are on you. ......Dell

Nope,Maybe awhile ,And if you have done any research at all why would even consider a 8n chassis to build a open class 4500 puller? When there a hole lot better,stronger chassis to choose from out there.

Not a good idea, MN.

Neither the pinion bearing housing nor the transmission will hold up.

Dean

i was thinking the 8n becuase i already have a hot oliver 88 and it seems like i have a following in my area, as when i started with it i was the only one around, and now the last pull had 5 out of nine where 88's....and i like to be different, so i figured i have a 8n sitting with a bad motor,and i have a f100 truck with a flat head v8 sitting, so i would combine the 2 and have some fun

I to have a 8N but I would like to put a Ford V6 just for show an maybe brush a little,BUT I don't know where to get the adapters,Any help ?

100 hp is plenty enuf. use a to-30 differential- if you are serious. an 851 with a v8 would work. i have various engines. some funk parts.

I have a 52 8n with flathead v8 in it, produces a lot HP. It has hilborn inj and all the goodies. First things first, replacement of all differentiaal and pinion bearings is a must,and the original ring gear rivets should be replaced with bolts. The replacement bolts are available from NH or any good driveline shop. THE coupler from trans to rearend must also be beefed up, took mine to local machine shop and had .25 wall tube installed where original was less than .125.
I also replaced all trans bearings, word to the wise don't even consider usind 2nd gear. I am running 18.4-16.1 traction tires on rear, with LCG front spindles and 4.00-15 tires. Of coarse wheelie bars on back, just incase I want to do a holeshot. Haven't tore anything up in three yrs.
Loads of fun, granddad never dreamed of this.

(quoted from post at 20:47:30 08/21/09) so i have this wild idea of building a 8n with a flat head v8, done my research and think 175 hp is a very respectable number to get with some power upgrades, figured i can make some 16.9-34 to fit it and pull im 4500 open....will the tractor rear end hold up?
Hi, I Know i'm late to this thread, but i recently inherited a 1939 9N with a busted engine block, and i'm thinking of replacing it with a Mercedes Benz OM647 2.7l 5 cyl engine, (i have a spare here) but I wanted to find out if the transmission and rear end would hold uo to the 177HP and 292ft-lbs of torque before i started making the adapter plate for it, any thoughts would be helpful, thanks

(quoted from post at 13:30:47 08/22/09) I to have a 8N but I would like to put a Ford V6 just for show an maybe brush a little,BUT I don't know where to get the adapters,Any help ?

Like this?

mvphoto111842.jpg

mvphoto111843.jpg

mvphoto111846.jpg

(quoted from post at 11:50:49 11/23/23)
(quoted from post at 20:47:30 08/21/09) so i have this wild idea of building a 8n with a flat head v8, done my research and think 175 hp is a very respectable number to get with some power upgrades, figured i can make some 16.9-34 to fit it and pull im 4500 open....will the tractor rear end hold up?
Hi, I Know i'm late to this thread, but i recently inherited a 1939 9N with a busted engine block, and i'm thinking of replacing it with a Mercedes Benz OM647 2.7l 5 cyl engine, (i have a spare here) but I wanted to find out if the transmission and rear end would hold uo to the 177HP and 292ft-lbs of torque before i started making the adapter plate for it, any thoughts would be helpful, thanks
like the idea. If it were mine I would try to hide the harness and innercooler with some louvered skirt skins. It may work out that a Funk hood extension would be about right for length.

This post was edited by 8NChris on 12/02/2023 at 07:11 am.

First things first, replacement of all differentiaal and pinion bearings is a must,and the original ring gear rivets should be replaced with bolts. The replacement bolts are available from NH or any good driveline shop. THE coupler from trans to rearend must also be beefed up, took mine to local machine shop and had .25 wall tube installed where original was less than .125.
I also replaced all trans bearings,
Thanks for the tip. Was any machine work needed on the housing?

(quoted from post at 20:47:30 08/21/09) so i have this wild idea of building a 8n with a flat head v8, done my research and think 175 hp is a very respectable number to get with some power upgrades, figured i can make some 16.9-34 to fit it and pull im 4500 open....will the tractor rearend hold up?
Jack eluded to some ingenious tweaks to the transmission but he did not really want to go into detail about them" There were some mods to the front axle after the original started hopping when it went over 80.
This one had a 255 cu in V*-MA Ford flathead with a 4bbl Holly:
14054043_10206863051837986_1100427188687632599_n.jpg

https://www.jackdonohue.com/news/14-8ncredible-takes-world-s-fastest-farm-tractor-title
"The previous world speed record was set by David Abbot "Ab" Jenkins, former Salt Lake City mayor and renowned Bonneville Salt Flats land speed racer. His 1932 Allis Chalmers Model U farm tractor clocked 67.667 mph, a speed record that went unchallenged for 81 years. .... Jenkins was known as the king of land speed racing, spending his entire life racing everything with wheels. ... Of all the record and achievements during his lifetime, Jenkins is best remembered for his 1935 tractor run. ... In August 1956, 21 ... Jenkins ... commented that of all the speed runs, that tractor run was the scariest. He then suddenly clutched his chest and died of a heart attack."

https://bangshift.com/?s=8Ncredible

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back