hydraulic fluid question

Aaron WI

New User
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the group and just purchased a 47 8n.
I've read here to use only hydraulic/transmission oil that specifically says it's made to ford specs. I went to the nearest Case/New Holland dealer and asked for just that. They ended up giving me Case IH oil, saying it was the same, and then I later saw the charge at $80 for a 5 gallon pail. Is it worth paying double, should I get the generic stuff for half as much, or should I keep looking for ford specific stuff.

Thanks.

Check out tips 3 & 4 at the link.

Those are 2 of many UTF brands that meet Ford specs & are commonly available.

Of course CNH will be more than happy to charge you 3x the usual cost for their fluid. They will also charge you $9 for a $1 lift piston o-ring.
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 12:01:25 02/22/15) Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the group and just purchased a 47 8n.
I've read here to use only hydraulic/transmission oil that specifically says it's made to ford specs. I went to the nearest Case/New Holland dealer and asked for just that. They ended up giving me Case IH oil, saying it was the same, and then I later saw the charge at $80 for a 5 gallon pail. Is it worth paying double, should I get the generic stuff for half as much, or should I keep looking for ford specific stuff.

Thanks.

The nearest thing you will find to "Ford specific" Is Case/New Holland Ambra Multi-G 134. There are plenty of generic UTF's that are every bit as good in your application and cost half that.

TOH

If you already bought the oil I would use it.

Main issue, trying to get the old hydraulic trans oil warm enough that you can get a good drain.

Might take a warm shop and all day to let the old oil drain.

Always use top quality oil and filters, (air & oil & fuel).

I also use blue streak tune up parts, yes you can buy cheaper, but it's your tractor.

Take care of it!!!!!
Do not forget to check your steering gearbox lube level.

The most important thing is that it can be used in the winter......should be rated AW (stands for all weather)

(quoted from post at 15:23:03 02/22/15) The most important thing is that it can be used in the winter......should be rated AW (stands for all weather)

At the risk of being labeled a naysayer:

1) The AW designation for hydraulic oils stands for anti-wear meaning they contain EP type anit-wear additives

2) Most AW oils are monograde with a viscosity index around 110 and are not all-season oils

3) regardless of teh season AW hydraulic oil are not suitable for use in the transmissions and final drives of common sump tractors. Use them at your own risk.

The most common type of all-season hydraulic/gear oil used in common sump tractors is called Universal Tractor Transmission Fluid (UTTF). It is a specially formulated hydraulic/gear oil that has an additive package tailored to the requirements of that specific application.

TOH

Yes, thanks everyone. This thread got me reading other ones and looking for fluid. I have a 51 8N that needs a fluid change and I am going with GL1 gear oil since I fear my wee beast would leak with the lower viscosity tractor fluid.

Dr. Rick
I paid $16 per gal for the 90 weight GL-1 mineral
oil at NAPA. They have both 1 and 5 gal containers.

So no major cost savings,

note there should be major lube improvements in the
quality of these new transmission hydraulic oils.
These new oils should be much better, also as far as
leakage, when the GL-1 oil gets warm it's going to
leak if you have bad seals.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Tractor supply sells the following which was made specifically for the ford tractors.

http://www.external_link.com/en/sto...actor-all-mineral-90-transmission-fluid-2-gal

I put it in last summer. Does work as intended and I had no faults with it. It is a thick oil in cold weather and since I run a front pump I was getting some cavitation in the pump when the temps dropped to 20degrees.
So I decided to switch out to some Low viscosity J20D oil which remains flowing to somewhere around -45 degrees.

(quoted from post at 17:33:54 02/23/15) Dr. Rick
I paid $16 per gal for the 90 weight GL-1 mineral
oil at NAPA. They have both 1 and 5 gal containers.

So no major cost savings,

note there should be major lube improvements in the
quality of these new transmission hydraulic oils.
These new oils should be much better, also as far as
leakage, when the GL-1 oil gets warm it's going to
leak if you have bad seals.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Thanks Max,
I agree overall. The caveat is that the differences in viscosity can affect leak rates in old, unrenewed seals. I'll stick with the GL1 until I rebuild a bunch of previous not replaced seals. I don't have saved links to post, but if you Google 8N, transmission fluids and UTF you will have a couple hours of confusing fun.
Best,
Rick
If I come back across the links I will post them.

Let me echo HCooke's welcome!

Walmart here sells UTF that meets the Ford M2C134D spec.
So does TSC. And for once, TSC is cheaper.
I'm sure that price varies by location, but it's worth shopping.
Five gallon pail at TSC is $39.95 regular price, Walmart $45.
Not a big difference, but they're right next door to each other.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back