If you stop to look at your old tractors what do you see?

fixerupper

I've always proclaimed myself to be a good maintenance man when it comes to my machinery. Oil changes done on time, worn parts fixed before they break and things like that. And I chastise farmers who let their machinery fall apart.
Today I started analyzing my 630 Deere and I had to eat some crow so to speak.
Dad bought this tractor new in the fall of 1960. Deere was having a sale to get rid of the two bangers and dad wasn't too sure about these new funny looking tractors Deere had just come out with so he decided on this 630. It was our main tractor for 11 years on 240 acres, then another 320 acres was purchased, requiring a bigger tractor and the 630 was moved into lighter duty, mowing hay, raking and cultivating row crops. A loader was hung on it in 1971 and stayed on for 39 years of hard use.
Now it's set free from the confines of the loader and it's mainly used to bushog. This summer before I put it into duty I drove it in the shop for a little upkeep. Main reason was the plugged line going to the oil pressure gauge but by the time I drove it back out I was a little ashamed at how much I had to do to put it back into fairly workable condition. The clutch was grabby as all get out so I pulled it apart. A little shy of $1000 later it feels like a new one. It was THAT worn out. Next came the blown manifold gasket that had been making noise for way too long. The left brake pedal has hanging up and I'd have to pull it back with my foot. Pulled it off and the pedal pivot was rusty and dry as a bone. There's a zerk there, you know!! Started bushogging yesterday in some heavy Bromegrass and the PTO clutch started slipping. I know the pedal hasn't wanted to stay engaged for a few years because it barely locked in, but it did work. Right? Today I adjusted the PTO clutch and it was WAY loose. It's about an hour's job with the Three point arm and sway block that need to be removed but it's still not THAT bad of a job. When I have the PTO drive engaged with the lever by the gear shift there's a rattling noise down deep in the tranny so that needs to be addressed but it's a little more involved. I can attend to that when I split the tractor to replace the leaking gasket between the rear end housing and transmission.
So the moral of the story is; we sometimes criticize other tractor owners for not taking care of things but sometimes our own fleet isn't especially in good shape either. How good is your fleet, maintenance-wise?

Oh yes, I changed engine oil. Last time it was changed was March of 2011. It's nowhere near the 150 hour oil change period but it should be done every year nonetheless.Jim

This is What I Do ,take it with a grain of salt , keeping a Sharpie handy to mark the date on the oil filters ,,time goes by fast ,I Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in All my engines ,,Seafoam and lucas fuel stabilizer in the gassers , especially when one has beensetting with old gas ,,now a days with the poor shelf life of gas , I think it best to run the gassers out of gas and pour a qt of atf in the empty tank to help control rust ..I use lucas hub sealer in the trannys to renew the seals ,, helps the brakes,,.

Glad to hear you're fixing the old tractor up Jim and you're not too proud to admit to your lack of attention. Sometimes we just put up with small things or we just adjust to them, and like the ole saying is, What we notice about others is a reflection of ourselves...LOL!
Keep up the good work.

great story Jim in a perfect world I too would like to have all maintance done on my equipment but I have too many to completely keep up all the time so I do a lot of "fix-as-I -go work but I do the repair right if at all possible when I do this is not to say I just hook on or fill them with fuel and go to the field I always go over the equipment before the season it's just I do not always have the time to do/ catch everything now my combines I always take more time to check over and do repairs not sure why I do that so much more than the other stuff other than I really do not like breakdowns when combining and it does pay off for sure
cnt

I try to change oil every year because of condensation. The oil is nowhere near worn out, but combustion by-products plus water make acid. Jim

Even though my machinery is used mostly during the summer and my operation is more hobby than making a living I take a lot of pride in my old machinery. It's like reliving history and its a big reason I do what I do. I always take a look at the equipment after haying season is over and I have some money from hay sales and look for what could be ready to fail or just needs replacing to keep the equipment mechanically ready.You have to be proactive on the old stuff so you don't get caught with a lot of break downs when you want it. I'm talking old stuff from the 40's 50's and 60's. It always bugs me when I see fluids leaking on my tractors or I go out and a tire is flat.My tractors may never have a new coat of paint but all 7 of them only need gas to go out and do a days work and the satisfaction that goes with it.

It's seems there's never enough hours in the day. I manage to find
the time to keep the basic maintenance up on my equipment, ie
fluid changes tune ups etc. They will all start and work. It's the
slow leaks, rusted out seat box on my IH Farmall 200, etc that I
can't ever find the time to fix. The front end shimmy's a little in
road gear on my SH. The more I sit here and think about it the
more little projects I remember I want to do.

Every one of mine needs something done to it.
A brake fixed here, steering adjusted there, slow oil leak, etc.
Fluids are all changed and they all run fine, just those 6 month and 5 minute jobs.
Takes 6 months to find the 5 minutes to fix it.
That 5 minutes of course turns into days of mission creep.
Every time. LOL

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back