JD 2010 Update/Thank God for Dad

JDNewbie

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my recent posts. I'm under the gun to get things ready for auction on Saturday and I appreciate your willingness to help with things.

The tractor in question belongs to my MIL by way of my FIL. He passed away 20+ years ago and my Dad helped me get this particular tractor running again several years ago. I was doing a pretty good job of keeping the old tractor running by starting it and driving it around every so often, but the birth of my son 2 years ago kept me from doing it quite as often (I live 150 miles away).

My MIL offered to give it to me, and I considered it; mostly as something to pass along to my daughter or son from their Grandfather they never met (his parents used it to farm before he owned it). When it comes right down to it, I don't have a place to keep it, I'm not smart enough to keep it running, and I don't have the time and money to take care of it like it should be.

So, back in February, I started trying to fire the tractor up so it can be auctioned off. The battery was dead, and it didn't want to start, even with a replacement. The biggest concern is getting it from my Dad's place where we had worked on it (replaced plugs, wires, filters, oil, waterpump), back to my MIL's place for the auction. I didn't have much time then, so I gave up on it.

Today was my one and only day to try to get it going. I had a new battery that I knew was charged, but the poor starter was having a heck of a time turning the motor over. I did what I know how to do and went through all of the battery and starter connections to make sure everything was clean. I even took the starter off and had it tested and it is fine, but it would not crank over like it should in order to start.

My Dad gets home from work this evening and we are both scratching our heads about it. We've done everything we can to make sure the battery-starter circuit is good and it still won't turn over correctly and fire (it sounded terrible). While we were trying yet again, my wife comes out to offer some moral support and asks if I had noticed the smoke coming from "that wire". Well, I hadn't, and sure enough, the wire from the ignition to the coil was getting hot enough it was melting the insulation off the wire!

So, we cut the old wire out and replaced it. Dad double checked the points and re-gapped them (we replaced them when we got it running the first time several years ago). I turned the key and it fired almost immediately! It still needs some carb work before it is really ready to work again, and I don't know about the PTO because I've never used it, but I think the engine and transmission are as good as you would expect a 55 year old piece of machinery to be. (and yes, I know the reputation of the 2010)

Tomorrow I will drive it the 7 miles from my Dad's to my MIL's and on Saturday it will be in the sale. I know it will be a little sad to watch it go, and I hope my FIL isn't too upset at me. I'm trying to do my best to help my MIL (she's pretty overwhelmed with all of this), but I know I'm not doing things the way he would.

Anyway, this tractor is what brought me here. I hope you don't mind if I still hang out. I don't know anything really about these old tractors, or farming, but I enjoy all I learn here!

Thank you for your help!

a135532.jpg

If I were you I'd ask my dad if it could be sored at his place and if he says yes then make your MIL an offer on it. If you don't one day, most likely in the not to distant future I think you will really regret it.

Rick

DON'T let it go.

It's "family".

As far as the bad reputation of the 2010, they were at worst "average" for their time.

Some of the competition at that time (that has now ceased to be) were no better (or worse) and have a loyal following.

I have my MOM's Farmall C, it's priceless not to mention a great lawn mower. Best mower I have. When it runs, it sounds like good old country music. I'll never sell it.

Trying to talk my two kinds into putting up a large pole barn so they can't say when I'm gone, I DON'T HAVE A PLACE FOR DAD'S TOYS. Only problem is my boy lives in the city, HOA won't let him.

Since you know the reputation of them taking it to auction should be the happiest day of your life ! let it go and move on !

Whatever outcome you decide to do, sell it on the auction, or keep it, I wish you the best of luck! I know they have a reputation, but I have to
say that tractor is pretty darn clean and straight for its age.

Keep it! It's 'grandpa's' tractor. Priceless. You say you have no place to keep it? how about Motherinlaws? She still has the
farm,right. Howabout dads? Or a good buddy?It can sit outside for a while till you get a shed/storage. It won't melt.You say
you dont know much/anything about tractors.You can LEARN. the little tractor is a good place to start.If you sell it,I
garantee you will regret it forever.Been there done that!Think about your kids. Some of my fondest childhood memories were spent driveing Dad's 8N
Ford.And what better way to teach kids some 'life lessons' than an old tractor. Keep it!!

Please reconsider. I would give an awful lot to have one of my grandfather's Case LAs. I have even had the elderly auctioneer go through his records from 44 years ago to see if he could find where either of the two went, but he couldn't find them. I remember the day of the auction and I never, ever, dreamed I would want to find one of them this badly. Please think about it.

I tend to agree. Keeping something that is of no value to you and only creates headaches makes no sense.

Can we ask where the auction is going to be located? Might be interested in the tractor if it doesn't stay in the family. Thanks Matt

2010's may have been "average" for their time, when you could get parts. But now, if anything goes wrong with the transmission, they are DONE. Parts are impossible to come by and/or so expensive they exceed the value of the repaired tractor.

My uncle had a 2010 utility that the transmission went out on recently. He had to scrap the tractor because he couldn't get parts.

Just west of Meriden, KS.

http://kooserauction.com/july16.html

Not trying to advertise, but I was asked.

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back