JD 2350 air in fuel line

danc1948

Lol I hope I don’t wear out my welcome with all my tractor issues, but I have to go somewhere so here I am. after a lot of maintenance and electrical issues were finally solved more or less including a new fuel filter. I took the tractor out for a spin with a bush hog on the back not much grass to mow but I wanted to work the tractor to see how it was doing. It ran strong at good RPMs for about 20 minutes then started bucking/heaving and after a bit of that before I could get it to the barn it died…. it did this once before, with the original filter, which was quite filthy, and I was able to purge according to instructions of the manual, and it ran again. I‘ve started the Tractor dozens of times since and never had a problem until I worked it hard for 20 minutes.. don’t have a lot of experience with an issue like this, but as I pump the transfer lift lever I can see air pour into filter. I took the filter back off today cleaned everything as thoroughly as I could. I put a new O-ring on the drain plug on the bottom but I did not put a new O-ring on the bleed screw. I’m not sure if that’s pertinent or not. The fuel lines that attach to the filter like they have been on forever and are very tight. so from what I have read on the issue the trouble could be coming all the way from the fuel tank? could be the transfer pump, etc. is there a diagnostic device similar to soapy water to find a leaky tire to find out where the air is coming from? I also wonder if the new filter sit‘s tight on the 3 gaskets. If anybody has any suggestions on where to start, I would appreciate the information a great deal. Thanks, Danc

Lol I hope I don’t wear out my welcome with all my tractor issues, but I have to go somewhere so here I am. after a lot of maintenance and electrical issues were finally solved more or less including a new fuel filter. I took the tractor out for a spin with a bush hog on the back not much grass to mow but I wanted to work the tractor to see how it was doing. It ran strong at good RPMs for about 20 minutes then started bucking/heaving and after a bit of that before I could get it to the barn it died…. it did this once before, with the original filter, which was quite filthy, and I was able to purge according to instructions of the manual, and it ran again. I‘ve started the Tractor dozens of times since and never had a problem until I worked it hard for 20 minutes.. don’t have a lot of experience with an issue like this, but as I pump the transfer lift lever I can see air pour into filter. I took the filter back off today cleaned everything as thoroughly as I could. I put a new O-ring on the drain plug on the bottom but I did not put a new O-ring on the bleed screw. I’m not sure if that’s pertinent or not. The fuel lines that attach to the filter like they have been on forever and are very tight. so from what I have read on the issue the trouble could be coming all the way from the fuel tank? could be the transfer pump, etc. is there a diagnostic device similar to soapy water to find a leaky tire to find out where the air is coming from? I also wonder if the new filter sit‘s tight on the 3 gaskets. If anybody has any suggestions on where to start, I would appreciate the information a great deal. Thanks, Danc
Does your tractor have just the rectangular glass housing filter or does it have the optional three-piece water trap as well as the rectangular filter? I ask as you mention 3 gaskets.

The rectangular filter is after the transfer pump, so the pump is pushing air to the filter, if that is where you are seeing the bubbles. That puts the issue between the tank outlet and outlet of the transfer pump. If you don't have wet spots along the fuel line from the tank it is likely not the line. That leaves the transfer pump and the water separator if your tractor has one. If it doesn't have the water separator, I would replace the transfer pump. If it has the water separator, I would check its assembly to see that one of its seals is not a bit out of place, allowing the pump to pull air, before condemning the pump. I would say I would expect to see the water separator damp with fuel if it is seeping.

They used several different transfer pumps over time. Some are NLA and have been substituted and may require some additional fittings and parts as part of the substitution. If needed post a picture of the pump. I might be able to give you the part number the parts catalog says you will need.

You must realize that a 2350 is about 40 years old. You should drain and flush the fuel tank. This model may have a water trap which should be cleaned. Remove, clean and re-install the fuel filter. Looks like there were 3 different kinds of fuel transfer pumps used. Check for leaks and general condition. If in doubt, replace the pump. There can be absolutely no air entering the system anywhere. If, after all of this, you may have to test the injection pump and nozzles.

You must realize that a 2350 is about 40 years old. You should drain and flush the fuel tank. This model may have a water trap which should be cleaned. Remove, clean and re-install the fuel filter. Looks like there were 3 different kinds of fuel transfer pumps used. Check for leaks and general condition. If in doubt, replace the pump. There can be absolutely no air entering the system anywhere. If, after all of this, you may have to test the injection pump and nozzles.
agreed 100 percent

Hi, thanks Jim it doesn’t have a separate water trap only the rectangular glass which is where I’m seeing all the bubbles. It’s an exaggeration to say it but it looks like a bubble bath. interestingly enough after a bit say 15 to 20 minutes all the small bubbles have condensed into several larger ones. I didn’t really know how to identify the holes in the fuel housing that correspond to the filter.hoes that would create the seal to make sure of no leaks so I called them gaskets 😂 what can I say? I should crawl underneath the tractor and find out where the fuel line comes out of the fuel tank that goes to the transfer pump, it is rubber, looks in decent shape, but who knows.. will take a picture of the transfer pump and send it as well, may take a couple of days… thanks of course

I’m sorry I missed a couple of posts regarding air in the fuel system.. somebody gave me this tractor about five months ago, there was no cap on fuel tank. previous owner, my neighbor ,didn’t know how long it had been off, one of the first things I did was drain the tank, which had a lot of junk in it and flushed it out and put in Fresh fuel. Jim and others helped with the electrical problems and finally got that sorted out !hydraulics seem good though it does have a fairly serious leak from the power steering under the dash have not gotten to that portion of the tractor yet, engine sounds great when it’s running so if I have to stick a little money in it with transfer pump etc. I would do that. thanks for the advice I do appreciate it.

Hi, thanks Jim it doesn’t have a separate water trap only the rectangular glass which is where I’m seeing all the bubbles. It’s an exaggeration to say it but it looks like a bubble bath. interestingly enough after a bit say 15 to 20 minutes all the small bubbles have condensed into several larger ones. I didn’t really know how to identify the holes in the fuel housing that correspond to the filter.hoes that would create the seal to make sure of no leaks so I called them gaskets 😂 what can I say? I should crawl underneath the tractor and find out where the fuel line comes out of the fuel tank that goes to the transfer pump, it is rubber, looks in decent shape, but who knows.. will take a picture of the transfer pump and send it as well, may take a couple of days… thanks of course
No problem on time. I expect your problem is the transfer pump. The fuel line comes out of the bottom of the tank.

HI,had enough time this afternoon to take a couple of pictures of the
JD 2350 with air in the fuel line,the transfer pump and a view of the fuel filter right after I tried cranking it…talk about tiny bubbles! whatever information you can give me on a replacement transfer pump. if there’s anything else I can do to help identify the hump please let me know as always. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
JD 2350 with air in the fuel line,the transfer pump and a view of the fuel filter right after I tried cranking it…talk about tiny bubbles! whatever information you can give me on a replacement transfer pump. if there’s anything else I can do to help identify the hump please let me know as always. Thanks.
You can look up parts for you tractor at jdparts.com.

Current part number is RE527115. Any DEERE dealer will have it or be able to get it. GOOGLE will show you unlimited sources, first check out the parts area of this very site, our hosts.

That being said, is diesel fuel getting into your crankcase and diluting the oil, if NOT replacing the fuel lift pump MAY not solve you air getting into the fuel system problem.

As I posted yesterday be sure the fuel line between the pump and tank doesn't have any leaks or weak/kinked spots in it and the fittings are tight before changing the pump.

That is the same type of transfer pump on my tractors. The transfer pump in your picture is the old part number RE42211 Airtex type pump. The current replacement part number for that pump type is DZ126573. The parts catalog notes to order R520618 with it, which is the mounting gasket between the pump and block. Be sure to use two wrenches on the fitting and be careful. It is easy to twist the fittings that are soldered into the pump and twisting them can lead to leaks.

Ok thanks to both of you. I did Google earlier today and saw yesterday‘s. Tractor had one that looked identical. I think I’m going to go to the JD dealer in town and see out of curiosity and caution what they come up with, also if they have the fuel line that goes between the tank and the pump. it seems that that could be a fly in the ointment as well.. it may be prudent to replace that and be done with it. also, will check for fuel in the crank case and thanks for the heads up on the two wrenches on the fittings!

Hello all, I have a couple questions regarding installing a new Airtex transfer pump on a JD 2350. The low pressure side of the pump comes from the fuel tank, and I know there is not much pressure there, what I’m curious to know is the outflow of the transfer pump , how much pressure is there as I would like to put in a more flexible line so that I do not have to worry about the exact fitting make up to fit the steel supply tube you see in above photograph , said another way, will regular rubber fuel line work just as well? also, on the fittings, do they require anything like Teflon tape or other sealing product… as always any help is appreciated. Thanks Danc

Hello all, I have a couple questions regarding installing a new Airtex transfer pump on a JD 2350. The low pressure side of the pump comes from the fuel tank, and I know there is not much pressure there, what I’m curious to know is the outflow of the transfer pump , how much pressure is there as I would like to put in a more flexible line so that I do not have to worry about the exact fitting make up to fit the steel supply tube you see in above photograph , said another way, will regular rubber fuel line work just as well? also, on the fittings, do they require anything like Teflon tape or other sealing product… as always any help is appreciated. Thanks Danc
Regular "rubber" fuel line, with the proper fittings for it, will hold the pump's outlet pressure (3-1/2 to 4-1/2 PSI per the specs). Use whatever pipe sealer you have rated for fuel, just be careful not to get it inside the fitting, especially Teflon tape.

Why is this filter sideways? I have seen all kinds of these filters on engines and trucks and never one on its side. I am thinking u can’t get all the air out without the purge plug at the top.

Why is this filter sideways? I have seen all kinds of these filters on engines and trucks and never one on its side. I am thinking u can’t get all the air out without the purge plug at the top.
His picture is looking down on the fuel filter it is mounted correctly.

Unfortunately, new transfer pump hose and fittings all the way around have not done the trick so the problem lies elsewhere. When I replaced the old original fuel filter that was on the tractor with a new one after many starts at that time, it died on me because of air in the fuel, I purged it as per instructions in the owners manual and it started and ran fine until now. For some reason or another I am suspicious of something going on with the drain plug or the fuel filter housing itself, so have attached a photo of the housing without the fuel filter on it wondering if anybody sees anything amiss. Also, I wonder if I disconnect the fuel line from the fuel tank , fill something like a milk jug with diesel fuel put the fuel line in and pump the transfer pump and see if air is still going to the fuel filter.. if air is still present then that may eliminate a problem from the fuel tank? May I ask what is the proper technique for taking off the spring loaded clip that holds the filter on I am using a screwdriver underneath the back portion of the clip on the housing to wedge it up. at any rate if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I’m all ears, thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back