Substitution oil for 10 Wt Non-Detergent Motor Oil

ursica56

New User
I have a 1949 MT John Deere 2-cylinder tractor that requires (according to the manual on it) 10 Wt Non-Detergent Motor Oil in the hydraulics. Up until this year, I was able to find it locally, but because it's not a high-demand product, it just isn't being stocked in my area now.

Can someone familiar with this MT advise me on what would be fine to substitute for that 10 Wt Non-Detergent Motor Oil? I really don't want to risk using something that isn't right for this tractor, as she has worked well for me for more than 20 years. Thanks!

I use low viscosity Hyguard from my local Deere dealer in the PTO clutches on my two cylinder Deeres. The manual recommends 10 wt oil, and the Deere dealer recommends Hyguard because of the reason you mentioned about availability.

You can use 20wt or 30wt non detergent
just fine. Most everywhere will have
30wt on the shelf. Our Advance has a
separate section for motorcycles and
it's there.

I use the 30wt now a day's in my M. It
works better and leaks less.

Paul: Do you use that same oil in your air compressor? Was looking for air compressor oil this morning. Couldnt find any thing in stock locally. Ended up ordering some from Graingers (Mobil Rarus 427 compressor oil non-detergent 30wt mineral oil base). Heck I didnt know you are supposed to change compressor oil at least yearly!

I have some model 40's and use TSC hydraulic fluid in the TOM. I think there are two weights, and I use the heavier one
because they all leak ........ and it prevents rust.

John Deere Hy-Gard will work just fine in it, - maybe better. Seventy-Two years ago there were no branded or specific hydraulic oils available.

Gary - I have regular motor oil in my old compressor. The compressor is homemade, with a big two cylinder refrigeration pump, and the oil has been it since about 1976. I'm glad you mentioned it though - I haven't checked the oil in it in years. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Good to hear from you!

I have a homemade compressor too, using an automotive AC compressor, and I have always used motor oil in it. I change it yearly, after I blow out the lawn sprinklers. This year I might use hydraulic oil, I have a surplus of cheap Mobil.

just use the standard hydraulic oil the tractor will not know the difference and everything will be just fine. nothing saying that it has to
have 10 wt oil. its wet and its oily and a simple hydraulic system so no problem. you could even use hytran oil if u wanted.

(quoted from post at 23:28:47 10/01/21) just use the standard hydraulic oil the tractor will not know the difference and everything will be just fine. nothing saying that it has to
have 10 wt oil. its wet and its oily and a simple hydraulic system so no problem. you could even use hytran oil if u wanted.

Bingo! That's what i use in my 40 and 420.

I know someone with a home made AC system vac pump.
It'll pull a semi with a bunk down to 40 inches in a few minutes.
It's an old refrigerator compressor in a box with the fittings for the yellow AC gauge hose on the side.

(quoted from post at 19:51:40 10/02/21) I know someone with a home made AC system vac pump.
It'll pull a semi with a bunk down to 40 inches in a few minutes.
It's an old refrigerator compressor in a box with the fittings for the yellow AC gauge hose on the side.

PURE male bovine excrement.

29.92" is the theoretical maximum.

Thanks so much for this substitution information. My MT is 72 years old and still running and I want to keep it happy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back