Update: Bargain Allis WD and IH H Home

Ken Christopherson

Hello all!

Well, as if I needed another project, I went out and looked at the H and Allis that a friend of mine contacted me about... Got out there, and noticed the H she sent me a picture of was not the H I was there to pick up (although they were parked next to each other). Anyways, I started looking it over. Seems to be on original rear tires ("turkey track 12-38 Firestones)... Serial number 106973 which makes it a 1942 - same year as my JD A (thought that it was pretty neat). Also, the seat was changed to the comfort ride, instead of the single pipe & spring IH seat. Still had a 12 volt alternator, and was set up with a Mag. Also had an M&W Friction Throttle. Noticed the belly pump was pulled out. Intake portion of the manifold has a crack (distillate), and she informed me the starter AND magneto needed work. Finally, to wrap up, it had a set of steel automotive wheels bolted to cutoff steel fronts - with half-moon "V8" hubcaps. Neat vintage, but not original. No wheel weights (but I was hoping for them to put on the M). As it sat, the tin is rusty but very solid, and VERY straight (still has the grille insert). Didn't try to start, but the engine rolls over with compression and all tires have air. It does have mis-matched rear rims but they are both very solid.

The Allis - Friend took this tractor (he is an Allis guy), but it is a WD. This one was running at some point this year. Figured we would give it a shot. Hooked up a battery to the poor old cables, and got it to crank - no firing. After messing with the ignition switch, managed to get the improvised ignition light to turn on. Added a little fuel as there was barely any in there... Turned it over and it ran at about 3/4 throttle for a good 90 seconds, and died. Ran real decent, but could not get it running again. Pulled the intake pipe and there was some ice in the carb. Well, we know it runs. Managed to get it towed out of the spot it was in even with the flat rear tire.

Got them both loaded on the trailer, and got them home (one at a time). Had to change vehicles though, must admit... I think the guys I was with were a little too trusting of the Isuzu. We took back roads, and took our time. No issues, and they are in their new place. Can't wait to tear into the H to see what I am working with. Plan on keeping this one original for a while. As long as I can get it running, that is all I care about for now. Besides, the natural look is becoming more appealing to me. Enjoy the photos, and stay tuned for the videos!
a243415.jpg

a243416.jpg

a243417.jpg

a243418.jpg

a243419.jpg

Both of those tractors are good candidates for fixing to use or restoration. Lots of parts out there for either one, and you meet the best people looking for parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back