Wd45 or Oliver 70

Mmckim

Looking to build a pulling tractor but dont know which one would be best to build any ideas and where can I find info on where to build one.

I believe that there is a pulling site listed down below for people who are into that activity..

Yes it is there. Another forum. scroll down. Tractor pulling.
My vote is for the 70

Lets say the budget is 4 thousand or just whatever you want to spend. Dollar for dollar the wd will go farther toward making a completive antique puller. Just more off the shelf improvements available for the AC where you will have to da a lot of custom work to improve the 70 engine much. Neither one is really going to be a killer. Look and see what calls weight or speed your local pullers are doing. Find something that fits in. Antique tractor pulling has already got quite expensive if you want to be completive. Forty years ago I was pulling tow 44 Massey and a 77 Oliver . Doing good now 560 ih rules the old tractor pulls around here

Are those you only two options? As others have said, if a 77 was in the mix, that'd be the one to use, but a 70 has a Continental engine as opposed to a Waukesha/Oliver in the 77. Not many parts available to boost the power of them. If it's just between the AC and the 70, I'd take the Allis.

What class are you wanting to pull in? Local club pull I have beeninvolved in for probably 25 years It is only stock out of field tractors, no modifcations allowed. Pull is by plow size and the Oliver would be in 2 plow class while the AC would be 3 plow. And AC never does good due to design and small rear tires. The Oliver could be either in antique class or classic class as Antique is 39 down and other is 40 up to 56 and no newer tractors. No scale only plow class. Now if you are wanting to install a bigger engine you could not pull in anything except modified that most local clubs do not have classes for. For them you need a pulling club. So what kind of pulling are you thinking about. Big difference. The local clubs even if they do have a scale the out of field tractors only cost just a good running tractor.

Yes. The plan was to stay with Continental, but after the war, Kaiser Frazier wanted all the engines that they could produce for their cars, so Oliver turned to Waukesha, who was building the engines for the model 60. I believe the one in the 70 was a 223? But then, it is my memory that we're talking about.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back