AGM Battery

I need a new battery for my JD X350 riding mower.
300cca U1

I can get a blemished battery local for $40 with 30 day warranty
At the same battery store I can get a new battery for $55 with a year warranty.
Both are regular batteries.

Before I buy one I would like to consider a AGM battery.
I have heard a regular charging system will not fully charge a AGM battery.
Then there is the added up front cost.
So are AGM batteries that much better.

They say they are more durable at least what that is what they claim. A regular charging system certainly will charge it. It just might overdo it. Same reason there’s a AGM setting on the newer battery chargers. It will take breaks charging just like the newer alternators. On your lawn mower it would probably be ok there’s not many amps there. But it’s too much complexity to me I stay with the cheap batteries. In your case the NEW battery I wouldn’t pay for anyone’s battery core no matter the output or whoever says it’s good that just seems like a bad idea. I will say I have a couple spare batteries of my own around that I know are good but I wouldn’t go buy one.

I have one on my Cub Cadet on its 3rd year. Started up the mower just fine Saturday after sitting all winter. The one from my 2018 Yukon is in my M Farmall right now, and has no problems getting charged with theDelco alt that I out on there.

AGM batteries are about all I use in my equipment. I have always used Yuasa batteries for they seem to last longer than other brands.
A lot of the charging problems comes from people that puts an AGM battery in a modern car or truck that had a wet battery. The computer is not programmed to charge them correctly. But the computer can be reset to normal and safely charge AGMs by any good mechanic. Also charging them on a system that produces more than 14.2 volts is not good for them either.
Another mistake people make with AGM batteries is not following instructions. If you order one online. It will come "dry" and need acid added to it. Yuasa motorcycle and ATV batteries come with the correct amount of acid. Do not add any more than it calls for. Also let the battery sit for at least 24 hours to give the acid time to fully soak into the mats before you connect it to the charger for the first time. Let it fully charge before putting it into service. Skimping on those two important steps and the battery life will be greatly diminished.

John I owned countless flooded lead acid batteries in cars trucks tractors RVs and lawn mowers for years but upgraded to agm some years back as I didn’t have to mess with checking and adding water. They are still lead acid technology and can be charged with traditional lead acid chargers some even faster. Yes it’s my personal opinion based on a lot of experience they are better and worth it and you will love not having to mess with checking and adding water !!!! Sure others may have had different experiences and opinions but I say they indeed have advantages and they still being lead acid technology will charge okay using flooded lead acid chargers. I couldn’t count how many I’ve charged fine in all sorts of different equipment But as always to each their own likes dislikes experience and opinions. John T. Live in the rv free dry camped near Lorida Florida lake istokpoga using my solar panels and lithium batteries yayyyyy.

PS. While old technology battery chargers will charge agm or lead acid a modern 3 stage regulated smart charger that charges bulk absorption and float with settings for fla or agm or lithium etc does a better job. Caution however do NOT use a 4 stage charger that has an equalization cycle designed for fla on agm batteries !!!! As it’s an electrical question you may get a ton of opinions hopefully some will take the time to google it before reporting their findings wait n see then take your pick lol

Last edited:
300cca U1

We have used AGM batteries in our 4-wheelers and motorcycles for years, and they work just fine, and last 8-10 years, and don't cost any more than a regular, but we buy them online. batterystuff.com

300cca U1

John,

How does a maintenance-free battery compare to an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery?​

Maintenance-free batteries are similar to AGM batteries in that they are both sealed and require no maintenance. However, AGM batteries use a different technology that allows them to be discharged and recharged more frequently without losing their capacity. AGM batteries are also more expensive than maintenance-free batteries.

I buy a maintenance free battery for my mowers because mowers shake too much and would spill out the electrolyte.
They typically last me about 6 years. In the spring menards and Rural king have sales, about $5-10 off.
All batteries age so I buy the largest Cranking amps so when it is at half life it will still start a mower.
AGM batteries are 3 or more times more expensive than maintenance free.
AGM may require a higher charging voltage.
My car's charging voltage is as high as 15.2 volts.
A fully charged AGM is slightly higher than a maintenance free battery.
I've never seen an AGM mower battery sell for $55.
If the battery is AGM, the battery will say AGM. If not it may be maintenance free.
Google the price of AGM mower batteries. You might find one for $55.

I don't see any real advantage in using an AGM battery on a riding mower. They're great for motorcycles and ATVs, which are likely to tip over and spill the electrolyte from a conventional battery.

The charging system on your riding mower should charge a lead-acid AGM battery just fine.

AGM batteries are about all I use in my equipment. I have always used Yuasa batteries for they seem to last longer than other brands.
A lot of the charging problems comes from people that puts an AGM battery in a modern car or truck that had a wet battery. The computer is not programmed to charge them correctly. But the computer can be reset to normal and safely charge AGMs by any good mechanic. Also charging them on a system that produces more than 14.2 volts is not good for them either.
Another mistake people make with AGM batteries is not following instructions. If you order one online. It will come "dry" and need acid added to it. Yuasa motorcycle and ATV batteries come with the correct amount of acid. Do not add any more than it calls for. Also let the battery sit for at least 24 hours to give the acid time to fully soak into the mats before you connect it to the charger for the first time. Let it fully charge before putting it into service. Skimping on those two important steps and the battery life will be greatly diminished.
If you are poring acid in it, it is not an AGM battery. AGM batteries are sealed.

John,

How does a maintenance-free battery compare to an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery?​

Maintenance-free batteries are similar to AGM batteries in that they are both sealed and require no maintenance. However, AGM batteries use a different technology that allows them to be discharged and recharged more frequently without losing their capacity. AGM batteries are also more expensive than maintenance-free batteries.

I buy a maintenance free battery for my mowers because mowers shake too much and would spill out the electrolyte.
They typically last me about 6 years. In the spring menards and Rural king have sales, about $5-10 off.
All batteries age so I buy the largest Cranking amps so when it is at half life it will still start a mower.
AGM batteries are 3 or more times more expensive than maintenance free.
AGM may require a higher charging voltage.
My car's charging voltage is as high as 15.2 volts.
A fully charged AGM is slightly higher than a maintenance free battery.
I've never seen an AGM mower battery sell for $55.
If the battery is AGM, the battery will say AGM. If not it may be maintenance free.
Google the price of AGM mower batteries. You might find one for $55.
Thanks for posting that information George of course it’s a lot related to sealed versus agm than agm versus regular flooded lead acid yet is still helpful I knew somebody would look it up and post their findings. Good job. What you found agrees pretty much with my own experience. After years I switched from fla to agm and not going back except for my rv use where I took the next step and went to lithium. Even if there were no other advantages of agm over Fla not having to check and add water is worth a lot and I haven’t found them not all that expensive versus Fla. I also worry with acid spilling in rough riding and hilly lawn use where agm if available at reasonable cost ??? could be a better choice Of course different use and personal choices dictates what John or anyone should use even if different from our own experience and choices to each their own. PS. When I talk about charging I’m speaking more of battery chargers than a cars alternator. Modern smart regulated chargers with settings for perhaps Fla or agm or lithium with bulk absorption and float stages are a somewhat different animal than some regular auto alternators. Still even old fashion battery chargers can still charge an agm as well as any cheap old lawn mowers I’ve owned. John T

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I have never seen an AGM battery that you had to put acid in before. I have purchased AGM batteries on-line and they came activated and sealed. I have learned something new today.
I have also seen that on a dirt bike battery AGM it says all over it but it comes with the acid in the box and a special funnel. The caps are all in a row and flat when installed I don’t think that’s technically a maintenance free battery then as I could open it. It was a much smaller battery than I would want to put in a lawnmower. It didn’t but the same 3 years the other ones I’ve put in it have but it gets about the worst life a battery could have rides the 4 mile trip on gravel all summer to the farm as checking fields then no use all winter unless I remember to start it. I haven’t bothered with a maintainer I figure I better have a pretty fresh battery since it has no kick starter

Suspiciously says it has agm liners... or separators... I'm not sure I buy into this marketing bs???
Yeah Ive never seen that. the glass mat goes between the plates at least that's my understanding perhaps that's what they mean. I wouldn't spend the extra money for it based on that alone but the maintenance free part I like and agree with and have probably bought some that I didn't know were agm if that's the case because I do like sealed batteries. They just don't have to be checked and there isn't any real fooling with them when they are done they are done not much you can do as far as waking them back up. I see maintenance free batteries that are fairly cheap and don't say agm all over them so that's what I usually go after.

The difference between Sealed Lead Acid and AGM batteries is simple.
Sealed lead acid batteries are just plain batteries. Instead of having removable caps. They are sealed. Nearly all car and truck batteries sold since the 80's have been sealed. And must be mounted up right.
Absorbent Glass Mat or AGM batteries have been around for many years. Instead of being flooded. They have fiberglass mats between each plate that acts as a sponge to soak up and hold the acid. Having the mats between the plates allow AGM batteries to handle a lot of abuse from vibration without spilling making them popular with off road vehicles. They can be mounted any way. Including up side down. Optima and Odyssey are two brands of AGM batteries often found in off road vehicles.

Good lord upside down. Next you will see them mounted from the headliner of the pointed down. Tickle the ears better that way. I’ve already seen them under the seat of a propane truck.

I have a 1974 MGB. I went to a 400cca Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. it is very small and light. Spins the 1800cc four cylinder engine very fast. I'm sure it would work in a tractor also. I might give it a try.
home1.jpg

I have a 1974 MGB. I went to a 400cca Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. it is very small and light. Spins the 1800cc four cylinder engine very fast. I'm sure it would work in a tractor also. I might give it a try.View attachment 7550
I have LiFeP04 aka Lithium Iron Phosphate in the RV but of course can NOT let my standard automotive engine alternator charge them as they could draw excess current and possibly damage an un properly protected alternator. I had to use a DC to DC charger to allow the alternator to charge my lithiums at the correct 14.6 volts while limiting and protecting the alternators output to the charger, works perfect. When dry camped my solar panels recharge the lithiums. I trust you’re set up so your alternator and its voltage and current regulation scheme allows that battery to properly charge yet not over tax the alternator. I still run agm for starting batteries in my vehicles etc Thanks for the report glad it’s working out fir your needs congratulations. John T

This battery is made for large displacement motorcycles as a direct drop in. The built in battery management system takes care of the charging scenario. Been in the car almost 4 years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back