Buying or selling on CL

Jiles

I buy and sell a lot of tractor parts and other items on Craig List.
Many times, when selling or buying, the person will want to bypass CL email and want me to email them personally. I never do and just mark them as scammers.
What is their intent?

Agreed, good chance for spamming. However
it could be legit. My normal email seems to
have problems with cl. This I have to use a
different email for any responses cl.
However, I rarely check the address, so I
find it easier to all then to email my main
email directly. Though, this is probably
such a small probability, they I'm leaning
scam.

And the answer is.......KUMQUAT.

mvphoto25739.jpg

Maybe they think you are a scammer ? If someone wants to sell something only put your phone number in the ad and no email contacts as those only really bring the scammers in. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

(quoted from post at 16:16:30 10/24/18) opportunity to build good email address lists. Good email lists have value and can be sold

That's what I am thinking. I always put my phone number In description.
I say--let them call me and if a scam, I can block their number.
If I am buying and they don't have a number and request my email--I just move on.
Many times I have left my number or requested they leave theirs and they want to go through their email.

On another note--I never buy or sell without Direct Phone conversation.
I can usually tell in a couple of minutes if contact is legitimate.
I would NEVER meet a person after only an email or text!

Today, most people are far more comfortable using texts on their cell phones than they are with emails. Once I fell confident that a person is legitimate I will work with them.

(quoted from post at 12:03:49 10/24/18) Maybe they think you are a scammer ? If someone wants to sell something only put your phone number in the ad and no email contacts as those only really bring the scammers in. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I don't enjoy phone calls from drunks or idiots late at night, do you?

I never post my number anywhere, email only. Never been scammed and usually sell whatever is for sale.

(quoted from post at 08:32:06 10/24/18) Today, most people are far more comfortable using texts on their cell phones than they are with emails. Once I fell confident that a person is legitimate I will work with them.
We don't do texts. Seems usually when folks have an email listed, I get no reply. We don't like phone calls cause we have a rare phone these days that gets virtually no robo/soliciting calls.

Another nice thing about email is, everything is in writing. Only real problem is, no way to know/prove who typed the email.

(quoted from post at 16:34:33 10/24/18)
(quoted from post at 12:03:49 10/24/18) Maybe they think you are a scammer ? If someone wants to sell something only put your phone number in the ad and no email contacts as those only really bring the scammers in. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I never post my number anywhere, email only. Never been scammed and usually sell whatever is for sale.

I turn my phone off after 9:00 PM and if they don't leave a message, wait for another call or block the number.

(quoted from post at 13:11:35 10/24/18)
(quoted from post at 16:34:33 10/24/18)

I turn my phone off after 9:00 PM and if they don't leave a message, wait for another call or block the number.

And if a family member or friend is in trouble and is looking for help? Family emergency maybe?

SS .... I don't text (but I do phone or email). Why do people feel more comfortable texting than email? Maybe because some (but not all) email addresses have the name included?

I sell some items on craigslist, and I always post my cell no, and state phone calls prefered, that has
worked well for me. My phone is not a smart phone, so they can't get into our email and financial
information from it.

I prefer emails and direct phone conversations too. Now-a-days those have become unpopular with many people.

[b:83b5f24276]"And if a family member or friend is in trouble and is looking for help? Family emergency maybe?"[/b:83b5f24276]

Those calls go to my wife's phone that is seldom turned off.
All CL dealing is with my phone.

(quoted from post at 13:39:31 10/24/18) [b:db665c7951]"And if a family member or friend is in trouble and is looking for help? Family emergency maybe?"[/b:db665c7951]

Those calls go to my wife's phone that is seldom turned off.
All CL dealing is with my phone.

Okay, that makes sense, sort of, what if it's her calling? I'm sure she must be out some evenings.

I very seldom would answer an ad without email, phone only as I have a hearing problem and use a special captioning phone that prints out on a about a 3 x 5" screen what the other person is saying and unless the speaker is talking loudly and plain it will mistake the word being said for something else so it is hard to do. I don't have text capability so that is out as I cannot contact them. So email is only way I can get correct information. I have had things I was interested in and got contact back by email and even tho I have told them with my hearing problems I cannot do phone calls that is the only way they will deal with me so I have lost something I wanted and they have also lost a sale just by refusing to give a bit more information to item they have for sale that I would ask a couple of questions about. Remember they already have my email address as that is the way they answered the orignal email from me thru craigs list message fordwarding. I always state right off that I have hearing problems so do not use phone.

Okay, that makes sense, sort of, what if it's her calling? I'm sure she must be out some evenings.[/quote]

In that case, which is rare, I leave phone on until she returns.

If they have their email in ad so you can go direct instead of thru CL fordwarding is because they think there will be or have been problems with the fordwarding. I think most that refuse to deal with contact with email are the scam ones because they want no proff of what they have said. So you hear they say one thing about price or condition and you get there they can say no I did not say that price, I said this price that is way higher than what they said on phone. So I have to be more conserned about the poster running a scam than the one trying to answer the ad.

(quoted from post at 13:50:45 10/24/18) Okay, that makes sense, sort of, what if it's her calling? I'm sure she must be out some evenings.

In that case, which is rare, I leave phone on until she returns.[/quote]ttps://forumphotos.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto25740.jpg[/img]

Differently people like to do things differently.So what can anyone do even if its a spammer? I just sold an anvil on CL had to get my cousin to list it off her computer as I have no way to post pictures so she listed my phone number with no way to respond by email which would have been hers.Ended up selling 2 anvils and some tools and the fellow is coming back this weekend for more stuff.

I have gotten to the point of adding to the ad,
"Best response includes your phone number and a good time to call. Ad removed when sold."
I now not only have your craigslist link but your phone number.
Email directly, I do not respond. If you had problems in the past, what did you do?
No phone? I will not give my address.
Buying? If I see an item that I truly desire, I will ask the seller if they take Paypal for a deposit on the item until I get there to pick
it up.
That has worked a few times.

I've left my email and phone # in response to ads. Never my
intention to scam anyone. I don't seem to have good luck with people
getting back to me when it's just an email.

I've gotten to point where if the ad doesn't have a phone number I don't waste my time. More often then not I nevet get responses back. When selling I include a phone number and no email. That has cut scammers down to almost nothing. One thing I have learned is scammers NEVER call. They always email or text.

When responding to an ad on CL I always include my phone number and say if they prefer they can send me their number and I'll call them.I have gotten bargains several times because
sellers have told me I wasn't the first to answer the ad but was the first that gave them a number to call.

The scammers don't want to talk to you, because usually their accent and lack of English proficiency will give them away. With email, they can take their time and make adjustments and corrections until they think they've got it right.

Bingo, Sodbuster.

I never answer CL email messages without valid telephone numbers.

Rather I call the phone number. Only after initial telephone contact will I exchange email messages.

Dean

They want your direct email address to sell to spammers. As if your email address isn't already on hundreds of spam lists already that are bouncing around the Internet black market.

You're not dealing with a real person. You're dealing with a robot that is sending out thousands of generic responses at a time. As soon as you respond direct, you will not hear from them again.

The "advice" runs the gamut, from putting in your phone number and no email, to putting in your email, and no phone number.

My personal experience is you get better "quality" responses from a phone number. NEVER had a drunk call me in the middle of the night. When someone has to work up the gumption to call it means they are more serious than the typical Craigslist flake.

Do exactly what craigslist recommends, reply through craigslist.

I go one step further. Buyer has to send me their phone #, then
I'll call them back. Stops spam calls. Stops people wanting to
sent emails. No phone # I don't respond back. I even say that in
my ad.

There are plenty of places that give out free email accounts, and if you do much selling on craigslist it's a good idea to get a "burner" number for your phone. It only costs a few dollars a month and gets you voice and text numbers that you can change whenever you want. You never give out your real number and can replace the burner number if someone spams or trolls you.
Burner numbers

I wonder if many people are as fearful of everything in life as they are a simple ad on CL? Seems pretty silly to me.What's going to happen get grabbed by the neck thru the computer
or telephone?(LOL)

(quoted from post at 23:00:44 10/24/18) I wonder if many people are as fearful of everything in life as they are a simple ad on CL? Seems pretty silly to me.What's going to happen get grabbed by the neck thru the computer
or telephone?(LOL)

Quite often, you hear of horror stories where people are robbed or killed by responding to a CL ad.
It would be my guess, that most of these were negotiated with texting or email and did not choose to meet in a Populated Public Place.
I am too old to play games with these kind of people and only negotiate by phone.
And I am cautious even with that.
Just the world we live in today.

George that is one thing you and I agree on. I like just tell them to reply to the add with a phone number and then I call them back. Folks say I loose buyers but sure does cut down on a bunch of crazy calls. For Jiles I think why they want to not use CL e mil is there are harvesting e-mail address for sale.

In this day and age, almost everything leaves some kind of trail. Whether it is touch DNA, IP address, or whatever.
So, what are you so afraid of? How do you figure somebody can injure you from knowing your email or phone number? If they send you threatening messages, they can be traced and prosecuted. If they harass you over the phone, they can also be traced and prosecuted. If you meet a potential buyer or seller in a public place, you are about as safe as you can be for most practical purposes.

Know this: if another person is out to harm you, there is no safe place. That is where self protection or police come into play. Either way, if you are that afraid of the public in general, you should not be on Craig's list.

jm
I think a younger generation has forgotten how to communicate by talking, They just want to text.

For the really Paranoid folks the county next to the one I live in the sheriff has provided a spot in the parking lot of the sheriff's office for CL and other transactions to take place.
It has video cameras running 24/7 and in plain view of the dispatcher.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back