Rephasing cylinders on Gehl 2350 / Vicon discbine

BarnyardEngineering

The fitting came loose on the hose that goes between the left and right lift cylinders on the Gehl 2350 (Vicon 281?) discbine. Now the right side is hanging low and won't raise all the way, even after several cycles.

I figured it would work like the cylinders on the corn planter where the oil works its way across through a small hole and things would even out. No such luck.

Bleed the air I guess?

There should be valves on the return lines that balance out the system. Should be able to shut off one side at a time & work the air out.
Might want to crack the line at the cylinder to make sure to get the air out of the top of them.

Mike

There are no return lines. It's a one-way system, with the left cylinder having a direct feed from the tractor, and the right cylinder having a direct feed from the left.

If you close off the left valve, nothing happens when you try to lift and lower the machien.

If you close off the right valve, only the left side goes up and down. I tried turning off the right side, lowering the left, and opening the right side again. Didn't help.

I'm just scratching my head as to where I need to bleed the air out, how the machine should be positioned, and which valves should be open or closed.

There is nothing in the manual on this.

I wonder if the vent has been stopped up on the r/s cylinder. What I think would be more likely is no/low
pressure to the r/s. You may have to pull and plug lines to see where, bypass the left maybe. Mark.

I had one of those many years ago and I remember having that problem. I am pretty sure that I did nothing but work it up and down a number of times.

So does it have a leveling valve then? On my Allis planter, I have to lower it, open the valve then lower it again so the cylinder
that didn't go all the way down, does.

(quoted from post at 05:01:08 07/21/22)

I had one of those many years ago and I remember having that problem. I am pretty sure that I did nothing but work it up and down a number of times.

By the time I started this thread I had run it up and down about 30 times with no progress.

Yesterday in desperation, I took the hi-lift jack, put it under the right side, and jacked the machine up until it was level. Ran the hydraulics up and down a little bit a few times. Closed the right valve, and removed the jack. It stayed up. Lowered the left side to the ground and floated the valve on the tractor. Then opened the right valve slightly and let the right side down.

All I was lacking was the tinfoil hat and the sacrificial chicken.

Thing is, it helped. When I raised it again, the right side was only down slightly. So I went through the whole pagan ritual again and got a little more.

So it's pretty good now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back