Where is my fuel filter bleeder? MF40 Industrial

akwells

Hello. I'm stumped on this. MF40 Industrial, Perkins D3.152 engine. I need to bleed the fuel system, but my filter does not seem to have a bleed screw on top like the manual says it should. It has an embossed area like one should be there, but nothing in it. I can't tell where that hole goes. The parts diagram doesn't show a bleeder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mvphoto98149.jpg

mvphoto98150.jpg

mvphoto98151.png

Skip it. IF your priming lever on the lift pump is working you should be able to bleed it at the two bleeders on the injection pump, may take some time. IF you are using a new NAPA or Wix filter ensure that the top rubber ring is inside the housing not laying on top of the filter. From your pic it 'appears' there is some 'mystery' fluid at the bottom of the glass bowl. Wonder what that is? Good Luck with it!

With engine not running....
Shut down in the run position...
Throttle wide open....
Tray as per pics....'then with fuel lines cracked at pump verify fuel spurting and no air..
cvphoto137576.jpg

I appreciate the responses. I'll just try it at the pump. And yes, that's some water in the fuel. This thing came with a lot of surprises, although I guess that one in particular was not all that surprising since I could see it. Thanks for the advice, guys!

If I could bother you a bit more... I can get fuel out of the bottom bleeder on the pump, it will shoot several feet out in a stream. But so far, I can't seem to get much out of the top bleeder. When I first open it, I'll get frequent drips, but shortly after it will basically go to nothing. What I do see is old fuel (the tractor came with clear diesel and I've got red now). I've got the fuel shut-off pushed all the way in.

I guess another question is, how far down should the fuel pump primer handle go? When I was first pumping and it was filling up the fuel bowl, you could feel it pumping but once I get to the top pump bleeder, it's much less resistance. It goes down about 1/2 to 3/4 the way to the side of the engine block. Never done one of these, I have no idea how far it should go down so I don't know if I need to rotate the engine.

What Bob said With engine not running....
Shut down in the run position...
Throttle wide open....
Check throttle to wide open.
The primer(lift pump) is driven off of the cam. If it doesn't feel right, bump the starter a bit until you get full deflection and the feel of fuel pumping. You should get fuel to the top soon.

Thank you all for the help. I don't think I ever did get it bleeded exactly right, as I could not get much of anything at the injector, but it started up anyway. Now on to the next problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back